Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #41
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Most people are judging plasma on the myths from when plasma first came out. Some of the stuff was true but most of it wasn’t and the stuff that was true was exaggerated. That’s old news. You really have to go out of your way to burn in on any of the good Samsungs, Panny’s & Pioneer plasmas. Like I posted earlier Plasma has had the flat panel of the year for as long as I can remember. I’m no expert and I don’t have much if any technical knowledge but I do read up on this stuff and I know most people don’t. Dset obviously isn’t one of these people – Just wanted you to know I wasn’t taking a shot at you. Or anyone for that matter…. Anyway LCD has closed the gap enough that unless you have the money it’s not worth hundreds more to get the plasma. I mean plasma is better but is it that much better to justify spending possibly $600 more? Probably not.
To be honest I haven’t researched anything on tv's since I stopped working at best buy I have my TV I have no use to research upcoming tvs
But I DO know the a650 is the #1 LCd for the time being

And I don’t know why you are accusing me of not doing my research when I agree with all the points you have made and have never stated otherwise, even in this thread

Quote:
The Samsung LN52A650 reproduced one of the deepest shades of black we've seen from any LCD. It can't quite match the champ, Samsung's own LED-based LN-T4681F, but from what we remember, it's pretty dang close. The Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas got darker by a couple of hairs, although the Samsung solidly beat the two Sonys. Of course, as with all LCDs, those deep blacks became brighter when seen from off angle (see below)
I said it out edges MOST plasmas in terms of blacks for a cheaper price: NOT ALL, I know there are those that are better

And if you are referring to my price comments I stand by them
Case and point

updATe:
In terms of 42inches there are few of them and I admit that they are not that expensive , after some quick research these are one of the top of the line plasmas, this set is ranked lower on cnet and as far as word of mouth on avs forums goes the a650 is better than this panny but not the pioneer.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0100269&catid=
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32887121.html

damn good price
the samsung just came out so it costs 2499 for 40" but most know by now that this panasonic model is not as great as the pioneer nor the xbr4 or the a650. The 65F dropped 500$ in the first few months Im sure there will be no exception on this years model.

Pioneer
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...21&catid=23249

This IS the superior TV
50inches minimum
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32476901.html

at what price difference and at what size availability
50 or 60

price of the a650
@ 52" inches
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...57&catid=24558

And as you say the gap is close
And IMO they are almost identical in quality
Price difference @ 700$
Quality difference @ very little
availability for a 40" and 46" of this set IS Available
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...58&catid=24558

I admit I did not get up to date on the amount of glare produced on the new plasmas and I admit I was over exaggerated that the plasmas have more reflective screens than the Samsungs but in those scenarios I almost guarantee they are both almost as good.
I also over exaggerated the price difference in terms of percentage i wasn’t about to pull out my calculator, as of now the best lcd vs the best plasma and the best lcd @2" bigger is 82% of the price you would pay for the best plasma. Yes I know the statement about gamers not buying plasmas is a 2 year ago problem. However the myth\trend has still carried on, even though it is a false trend like BD is better than HD it’s just a word of mouth that has carried on. Most gamers don’t buy plasmas because they are afraid of burn in because the possibility is open: even though the new technology has proven otherwise.
Panasonic is providing very good deals in terms of quality for the dollar I may even consider it over the a650 unless the 650 drops in price sometime soon which Im sure it will, for the most part my thoughts on the best plasma's not coming under 50" is because of pioneer. I was waiting for a good deal and a good size on a top of the line pioneer plasma a year prior to me settling for my lcd.

Thus
I admit I haven’t been doing that much research of recent, but some. Anyhow I don’t know what it is I’ve said to make you believe that I haven’t done my research. Everything I’ve stated almost is identical to your opinion and I don’t see where the information I’ve provided is false.
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #42
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
To be honest I haven’t researched anything on tv's since I stopped working at best buy I have my TV I have no use to research upcoming tvs
But I DO know the a650 is the #1 LCd for the time being

And I don’t know why you are accusing me of not doing my research when I agree with all the points you have made and have never stated otherwise, even in this thread

I said it out edges MOST plasmas in terms of blacks for a cheaper price: NOT ALL, I know there are those that are better

And if you are referring to my price comments I stand by them
Case and point

updATe:
In terms of 42inches there are few of them and I admit that they are not that expensive , after some quick research these are one of the top of the line plasmas, this set is ranked lower on cnet and as far as word of mouth on avs forums goes the a650 is better than this panny but not the pioneer.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0100269&catid=
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32887121.html

damn good price
the samsung just came out so it costs 2499 for 40" but most know by now that this panasonic model is not as great as the pioneer nor the xbr4 or the a650. The 65F dropped 500$ in the first few months Im sure there will be no exception on this years model.

Pioneer
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...21&catid=23249

This IS the superior TV
50inches minimum
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32476901.html

at what price difference and at what size availability
50 or 60

price of the a650
@ 52" inches
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...57&catid=24558

And as you say the gap is close
And IMO they are almost identical in quality
Price difference @ 700$
Quality difference @ very little
availability for a 40" and 46" of this set IS Available
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...58&catid=24558

I admit I did not get up to date on the amount of glare produced on the new plasmas and I admit I was over exaggerated that the plasmas have more reflective screens than the Samsungs but in those scenarios I almost guarantee they are both almost as good.
I also over exaggerated the price difference in terms of percentage i wasn’t about to pull out my calculator, as of now the best lcd vs the best plasma and the best lcd @2" bigger is 82% of the price you would pay for the best plasma. Yes I know the statement about gamers not buying plasmas is a 2 year ago problem. However the myth\trend has still carried on, even though it is a false trend like BD is better than HD it’s just a word of mouth that has carried on. Most gamers don’t buy plasmas because they are afraid of burn in because the possibility is open: even though the new technology has proven otherwise.
Panasonic is providing very good deals in terms of quality for the dollar I may even consider it over the a650 unless the 650 drops in price sometime soon which Im sure it will, for the most part my thoughts on the best plasma's not coming under 50" is because of pioneer. I was waiting for a good deal and a good size on a top of the line pioneer plasma a year prior to me settling for my lcd.

Thus
I admit I haven’t been doing that much research of recent, but some. Anyhow I don’t know what it is I’ve said to make you believe that I haven’t done my research. Everything I’ve stated almost is identical to your opinion and I don’t see where the information I’ve provided is false.

Dude I was giving you credit. I wasn't saying that you were wrong. I meant to say that you aren't one of these momo's that don't know what your talking about. I apologize. Now that I look at my post I worded my post wrong. I edit my posts so damn much sometimes I go crazy with the cut and past. I didn't want you to think I was indirectly saying you were wrong in what you were saying. This is how it was supposed to read.

Most people are judging plasma on the myths from when plasma first came out. Some of the stuff was true but most of it wasn’t and the stuff that was true was exaggerated. That’s old news. You really have to go out of your way to burn in on any of the good Samsungs, Panny’s & Pioneer plasmas. Like I posted earlier Plasma has had the flat panel of the year for as long as I can remember. I’m no expert and I don’t have much if any technical knowledge but I do read up on this stuff and I know most people don’t. Dset obviously isn’t one of these people. He clearly knows his stuff – Just wanted you to know I wasn’t taking a shot at you. Or anyone for that matter…. Anyway LCD has closed the gap enough that unless you have the money it’s not worth hundreds more to get the plasma. I mean plasma is better but is it that much better to justify spending possibly $600 more? Probably not.

Last edited by The General; 05-08-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: My bad bro.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #43
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Dude I was giving you credit. I wasn't saying that you were wrong. I meant to say that you aren't one of these momo's that don't know what your talking about. I apologize. Now that I look at my post I worded my post wrong. I edit my posts so damn much sometimes I go crazy with the cut and past. I didn't want you to think I was indirectly saying you were wrong in what you were saying. This is how it was supposed to read.

Most people are judging plasma on the myths from when plasma first came out. Some of the stuff was true but most of it wasn’t and the stuff that was true was exaggerated. That’s old news. You really have to go out of your way to burn in on any of the good Samsungs, Panny’s & Pioneer plasmas. Like I posted earlier Plasma has had the flat panel of the year for as long as I can remember. I’m no expert and I don’t have much if any technical knowledge but I do read up on this stuff and I know most people don’t. Dset obviously isn’t one of these people. He clearly knows his stuff – Just wanted you to know I wasn’t taking a shot at you. Or anyone for that matter…. Anyway LCD has closed the gap enough that unless you have the money it’s not worth hundreds more to get the plasma. I mean plasma is better but is it that much better to justify spending possibly $600 more? Probably not.
WOOPS
I feel like a jackrass

sorry man you did word it correctly, my mind was just off, I thought it was the other way around

anyways now there is more info posted for the buyer, hopefully people make use of the info
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #44
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
WOOPS
I feel like a jackrass

sorry man you did word it correctly, my mind was just off, I thought it was the other way around

anyways now there is more info posted for the buyer, hopefully people make use of the info
My original post was worded wrong dude. I have a problem where I have to edit my posts over and over. When I read it back I was like man it did kindof sound like I was calling him a momo. It's all good though. I just hope a can get a kick ass flat panel when I get a new TV 3 years or so from now. Whether it's plasma or LCD.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #45
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
I have a 72" Mits DLP and sit about 11 ft from it. I LOVE it!!

That's awesome. The bigger the better.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #46
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
My original post was worded wrong dude. I have a problem where I have to edit my posts over and over. When I read it back I was like man it did kindof sound like I was calling him a momo. It's all good though. I just hope a can get a kick ass flat panel when I get a new TV 3 years or so from now. Whether it's plasma or LCD.
Same here

maybe itl be niether maybe it'll SED or OLED