Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Tony Perna

Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #61
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I'm kind-of glad they gave him the option to either do his cards in pencil, ink or color. They didn't give him too much time to do these and for $1.00 a card, I think ink is just fine.

What about the 6 back? Are they color? And I feel for some artists at a $1.00 per card you need to pull a Waterhouse to make money. The good artists get shafted. Hopefully this isn't their only means of income.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #62
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansel39 View Post
how do the cards work as per getting them in the Boxes

They come in packs....... LOL!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #63
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordanFan View Post
They come in packs....... LOL!
HAHAHAHAHA
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #64
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

Quote:
are you saying they pay you a dollar a card. if so that sux.

and I thought you were doing this work elaine you are a great artist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordanFan View Post
What about the 6 back? Are they color? And I feel for some artists at a $1.00 per card you need to pull a Waterhouse to make money. The good artists get shafted. Hopefully this isn't their only means of income.
Sketch card artist get paid different for working with different companies. Like with the Marvel Masterpieces it's $1.00 a card and artist get 10 blank artist proof cards back, but it takes the company months to send them. So for one and a half months he's drawing the cards (per set) without taking commissions and then still doesn't make anything really until the blank cards come in and after he draws on them, he has to send the final sketch card images to Marvel for approval before he can sell it and that can take weeks to hear back from them.

The six back he got was from the LOTR set he worked on (which he still wasn't paid for yet). So some sets can be good money, but takes a very long time to get the money and then think of all the time and materials are put into each the sketch cards. Some artist do really fast sketches, but Tony takes his time with the poses, inking & detail.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #65
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Sketch card artist get paid different for working with different companies. Like with the Marvel Masterpieces it's $1.00 a card and artist get 10 blank artist proof cards back, but it takes the company months to send them. So for one and a half months he's drawing the cards (per set) without taking commissions and then still doesn't make anything really until the blank cards come in and after he draws on them, he has to send the final sketch card images to Marvel for approval before he can sell it and that can take weeks to hear back from them.

The six back he got was from the LOTR set he worked on (which he still wasn't paid for yet). So some sets can be good money, but takes a very long time to get the money and then think of all the time and materials are put into each the sketch cards. Some artist do really fast sketches, but Tony takes his time with the poses, inking & detail.

Smart man! Collector's appreciate it. The other side of the fence would be being the most hated man is our hobby Waterhouse!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #66
ansel39

Quote:

i must be real dumb cause that did not make sense. he draws alot of cards send them to marvel. They send him 10 blanks cards to draw more then he sends those to marvel. then he gets paid for the first ones he drew after those 10 are approved.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #67
Avenger
Galactus

Quote:
i must be real dumb cause that did not make sense. he draws alot of cards send them to marvel. They send him 10 blanks cards to draw more then he sends those to marvel. then he gets paid for the first ones he drew after those 10 are approved.
The 10 back are artist cards and are usually labeled has such. They just need to be scanned and approved then can be sold. Tony's cards usually bring top dollar in the secondary market so he can do pretty well off of those.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #68
ansel39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
The 10 back are artist cards and are usually labeled has such. They just need to be scanned and approved then can be sold. Tony's cards usually bring top dollar in the secondary market so he can do pretty well off of those.
oh now i get. he can sell the 10 extra cards and get paid for the 150 or so cards he has sent to marvel.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #69
Avenger
Galactus

Quote:
oh now i get. he can sell the 10 extra cards and get paid for the 150 or so cards he has sent to marvel.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #70
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:

Now your cooking with fire!!! Good artists can make a nice amount of scratch on their cards. I think a "NAR" just went for $2500.00