Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #751
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkushwara View Post
Just wanted to chime in - I've done considerable research recently on the original Giger alien sculpts, suits and mechanical pieces and the idea of an "original untouched casting" just isn't likely if even possible at this time.

An “original suit” was auctioned off months ago and there are high rez pics available of the piece. The mouth on that suit’s head is so far off anything seen in the film it’s painfully obvious it was “reconstructed” at some point. Urethane foam and Latex deteriorates over time, as does silicone used for most of the original negative molds. Look up pics of the alien heads in Bob Burn’s collection and you’ll see what a real prop would look like at this point. Same for the molds. After about 4 years silicone rubber starts to really degrade – 20 years and we’re practically talking about puddles of goo. The likelihood of finding a hard (fiberglass or rigid urethane) casting pulled from the original film molds that’s complete and undamaged or warped is damn near impossible. Not to mention that it’s likely the original casts were designed with separate parts that were assembled on the final, so it’s not a single mold but likely to be several.

It's quite obvious that this bust is only a rudimentary pull from original materials and that most of it is fabricated. Why? Because not only are the proportions way off anything seen in the film or reference material, but the rear of the jaw, the jaw hosing and the upper neck also look nothing like any of the other heads we know of. Plus which any detail under the dome has been painted on rather than sculpted, which is not how the original was done. To say that this is a representation of an original screen-used prop is disingenuous at best. If people like it that's fine, but for HCG to describe it as 'authentic' is misleading.
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #752
jkushwara
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomorph View Post

It's quite obvious that this bust is only a rudimentary pull from original materials and that most of it is fabricated. Why? Because not only are the proportions way off anything seen in the film or reference material, but the rear of the jaw, the jaw hosing and the upper neck also look nothing like any of the other heads we know of. Plus which any detail under the dome has been painted on rather than sculpted, which is not how the original was done. To say that this is a representation of an original screen-used prop is disingenuous at best. If people like it that's fine, but for HCG to describe it as 'authentic' is misleading.
Hey Robo - thanks for the compliment! I'll have to disagree on at least one point tho. The detailing under the dome WAS painted on in the original - not the front skull, tubes or top spine, but the round'ish bony sections along it's length. Every filming or pre production reference photo shows it's clean with no sculpted side detail. Giger did paint that on - his airbrushing skill is exceptional and it just looks very 3D. I personally think some of the other areas mentioned aren't that far off (neck, rear jaw).

The original neck was a separate part that fit around the wearer before the head was placed on top, so part assembly and position may have a lot to do with what your seeing. It would be great to find out exactly where the parts came from and what condition they or their molds were in. I didn't see any major issues with overall head proportions (might have to look closer) - mainly the mouth area as has been brought up several times before.
jkushwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #753
Vader
Ghost

the marmit statue (crouched) is quite accurate to the original paintwork under the dome.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #754
Vader
Ghost

does the dome appear removable without damaging it? i'd love to get the skull repainted.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #755
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I'll have to disagree on at least one point tho. The detailing under the dome WAS painted on in the original - the round'ish bony sections along it's length. Giger did paint that on - his airbrushing skill is exceptional and it just looks very 3D.
I stand corrected sir -and thx for the info.

The photo I had in mind was this one, which makes the detail look sculpted. As you say, exceptional airbrushing - very 3D indeed.

Quote:
I personally think some of the other areas mentioned aren't that far off (neck, rear jaw).
I can only say again that the hose off the rear of the jaw on HCG's bust looks markedly different to any other head I've seen. (Being much thicker and located higher up). Don't you think?

robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #756
Devo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

That is the definitive version of the artic roll alien

Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #757
Devo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Hmm...tasty
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #758
jkushwara
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomorph View Post
I stand corrected sir -and thx for the info.

The photo I had in mind was this one, which makes the detail look sculpted. As you say, exceptional airbrushing - very 3D indeed.

I can only say again that the hose off the rear of the jaw on HCG's bust looks markedly different to any other head I've seen. (Being much thicker and located higher up). Don't you think?

My turn to be corrected You’re right when comparing that suit (and that photo) to the HCG. I was willing to give some leeway there on placement, due to noticing the hose being higher up in some original suit photos. That's likely due to the original sculpt's being asymmetrical and having photos taken from the different sides. It’s also common for production/ reference photos to be reversed so it’s darn near impossible to determine which side was higher.

I will add that if you look at the suit photo you referenced (one of my favorites) the jaw is in the closed position. The Jaw was always a separate part on the various suit and mechanical heads – so if you consider that one side had the tube placed higher, the Jaw on the HCG bust is open (changing the angle of the rear jaw in side view) and the likelihood that the jaw wasn’t placed according to the exact same pivot point as the original suit’s assembly then that would go a long way to explaining why it looks that way on the HCG bust.

Here’s an in progress shot of Giger with one of the early heads. You can see the hose connection point on the jaw is on the higher side. Pretty close to where the HCG bust has it.

Note - sent you a PM :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giger-alien.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	54101  

Last edited by jkushwara; 03-16-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: wanted to add a PM notice
jkushwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #759
mooganstooker
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furystorm View Post
Leftover residual characteristic from the human host. The alien has senses we cannot even begin to comprehend.
Ummmm...everyone here realizes this creature doesn't actually exist, right????
mooganstooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #760
Lion
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooganstooker View Post
Ummmm...everyone here realizes this creature doesn't actually exist, right????
that's what those troopers said to ripley in "aliens",
and look what happened to them !
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote