Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Alaneye
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Silicone/catalyst error

Through a school boy error I have just mixed a batch of silicone for the second half of some two part moulds and I have added twice as much catalyst as I should have (should have been 5 parts catalyst to 100 parts silicone and I used 10 parts ie I added 30gms to 300gm instead of 15). Anyone know if this is going to have a detremental effect to the cured rubber?

Al
Alaneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Bobby C
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

should just cure faster.
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Alaneye

Thanks Bobby, and you are right it did sure faster lol
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Alfred Paredes
Frackin!

There shouldn't be a significant difference. Sometimes the shore strength can be affected, but you said it's a two part mold, so it won't need to be pried and pulled too much. Sometimes I use an Accelerator for my silicone, when I just need a fast cure. A few drops and the rubber cures in less than 6 hours. So far, I haven't noticed any difference.

Cheers!!
Alfred Paredes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Alaneye

Thanks Alfred. I've pulled a few castings and it looks okay. I guess time will tell if the life of the mould has been effected, thouge the parts aren't too stressful during demoulding.

Al