Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #16151
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I cant believe this film was even made. Once I learned that it was based on real events, my mind was blown. Bay has no class whatsoever and I'm disappointed that Dwayne Johnson would be in this travesty.
Honestly, I was surprised too. It's pretty shameless and Bay glorifying these real life, sad sack, momos speaks volumes about his character.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #16152
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
I cant believe this film was even made. Once I learned that it was based on real events, my mind was blown. Bay has no class whatsoever and I'm disappointed that Dwayne Johnson would be in this travesty.
money talks BS walks.

as disappointing as it may be.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #16153
Spideristic
Kingpin

I haven't seen the movie Pain and Gain, but I saw similar statements by others criticizing Scorsese stating that he was glorifying the character of Jordan Belfort and others. But he wasn't.

Scorsese as a filmmaker obviously has taken some creative liberties but he tried to emulate some of the true dirty nature of the wall street industry and glimpsed through the lives of people who were living large through that industry while swindling money from others.

That's the nature of semi biographical films, the central character though might have committed unethical deeds is still the protagonist in the film who the audience have to be invested in to be drawn into the story. And doesn't necessarily mean it's glorifying him if the character has his high points in the film, when that in turn in some aspect happened in real life as well.

There is the distinction between the art and the subject matter it is based on, which needs to be judged independently.

Last edited by Spideristic; 01-15-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #16154
DSET
The Secret Six

Prisoners 9/10
Her 7/10
Saving mr banks 6/10
Lone survivor 3/10
Wolverine 5/10
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #16155
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #16156
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
I haven't seen the movie Pain and Gain, but I saw similar statements by others criticizing Scorsese stating that he was glorifying the character of Jordan Belfort and others. But he wasn't.

Scorsese as a filmmaker obviously has taken some creative liberties but he tried to emulate some of the true dirty nature of the wall street industry and glimpsed through the lives of people who were living large through that industry while swindling money from others.

That's the nature of semi biographical films, the central character though might have committed unethical deeds is still the protagonist in the film who the audience have to be invested in to be drawn into the story. And doesn't necessarily mean it's glorifying him if the character has his high points in the film, when that in turn in some aspect happened in real life as well.

There is the distinction between the art and the subject matter it is based on, which needs to be judged independently.
I think the difference (at least with Pain & Gain) is the Director's intention was to make light of a very serious situation. These guys are still kidnappers and murderers in real life and no matter how stupid they're portrayed it's hard to find their actions funny when you know it really happened. If this was a drama I'd feel differently but as a black comedy I do feel it is showcasing their exploits and glorifying them.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #16157
Spideristic
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I think the difference (at least with Pain & Gain) is the Director's intention was to make light of a very serious situation. These guys are still kidnappers and murderers in real life and no matter how stupid they're portrayed it's hard to find their actions funny when you know it really happened. If this was a drama I'd feel differently but as a black comedy I do feel it is showcasing their exploits and glorifying them.
Right, makes sense. I might skip this one for now from my movies to catch up list.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #16158
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Devil Inside. 0/10
finally got to see this. and now im wishing i didn't waste my time or the 3.99 it was to rent this crap.
oh man was this film horrible. couldn't wait for it to be over. actually fell asleep several times. total snooze fest..what a damn waste of 2hrs.
i can not stand fake documentary films. even if it is based on true events.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #16159
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Wow that bad huh? It's in my Netflix Queue, thanks for the heads-up. Removed!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #16160
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013) - A chronicle of Nelson Mandela's life journey from his childhood in a rural village through to his inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa.

Good efforts by Idris Elba and Naomie Harris--better than the movie itself. 6/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote