Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #81
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Ill admit Ive been one of these "heroes"
I've driven to Sydney to help a mate out for free
I've been at the front of the line and I've been at the back of the line but honestly don't think I've taken any chances from VIPs or other guests
Here are my last ten big pieces
Brooks got one and I would have got it no matter what as Lisa kwon/brooks remembered she owed me a piece from 2010!! First thing she said when entering "I remember you I'm glad you're here - you'll definetely get a sketch" please note mark brooks jumps on his list its not first served

Dodson I was 15 deep on second day and got a sketch cause I followed him to gold coast and he agreed to sketch in between cons- similar with David finch and Sydney to Perth

Jiminez got full body sketch cause I spent near entire con with artist and bought them hot chocolates, tissues and paper for other people's sketches and he did free awesome sketches for everyone - people also got seconds

Cho I was a few deep but got on PRE con list
Same with Tom Raney, lienil yu and gibbons

I line up for Dave yardin regularly and I've bought a lot of pre done stuff

Nicola scott I hassled at a few cons lol and bought her and her rep out to dinner

Raney yardin sommariva jiminez and partners I took out to dinner and paid for AFTER they had sketches NOT to get sketches as a thank you and to ensure good feedback for future artists to want to come to Oz for all art fans

Missed out on Pacheco in terms of a good finished piece

If I go to cons always support local artist and get stuff from them
I spend most of the days at artist alley and chat and try and make sure artist dont need anything - I chat etc... I don't put in a request and leave like some people do

People at the front of the line sometimes put in a lot of effort and dont always put their names down first and leave - there's usually a lot of effort put in pre and during and post show.

Was first in line for Brent Anderson and still waiting on my piece
People pushed their names above mine because they weren't going to be at both days and I didn't complain to Brent

Hopefully will make for a great piece but like with all other artists hopefully will allow me to keep dialoging with him and make a new friend like so many other artists

Ps most artist nowadays don't always do first come first serve
Persistence pays off- not just pay and run
I've waited up to 3 years for pieces and getting on lists

Just a little rant sorry
If you want it youll get it eventually and cons arent your only option
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #82
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink90210 View Post
I believe Adam Hughes also had a policy of not taking requests until 10min in to the con. Hopefully in Australia he'll do the same...

Ok so next con, we're on the lookout for possibly a King's Comics staff member who like Green Lantern. If spotted, please report him to Royd so he can dish out some SF-justice.
Alison has apparently ruled out any sketching
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #83
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
I had that problem with Lienil at Adelaide Nova. Now dont get me wrong, he was the nicest guy and I could see how honestly bad he felt saying no, but Lienil said no to adding a small headshot to my Batman jam because he didn't have time cause the con owner wanted sketches for himself and some friends (at least that's what I was told). Lienil mentioned he did these commissions for free, so basically a paying fan missed out so organisers could get multiple freebies.

I'm not sure if this was the person you were referring to Wrothy.
It was nice meeting you at Adelaide mate
Sorry you missed out on yu
I was lucky enough to get a precon piece via contact on Facebook
A couple of eager and long staying fans also SF members convinced after a lot of effort to get pieces of him post con days

I had to outbid everyone to get the charity piece though so fairs fair I guess

Hope to catch up soon
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #84
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Interesting Hung.... I've only done the one Sydney Supanova (last year) and I was a VIP pass holder also, and thankfully I was lucky enough not to experience what you've described. I've been a top tier VIP holder at other Nova cons, (Brisbane most recently, where I was a Game of Thrones VIP) and was again fortunate enough not to be "trumped" by exhibitors. It's a shame you've had this bad experience but as Wrothy said, I know Royd always does his utmost to ensure us collectors are treated fairly.

I do remember at Armageddon 2013 an exhibitor (quite arrogantly IMO) cut a LONG line for Brent Anderson and addressed everyone waiting in line saying "it's ok I'm an exhibitor I can do this" which I thought was despicable, but that's the only time I've known of it happening here in Oz that I can recall.

I know in the US it's sadly pretty much common practice
That guy was an ass rod and he is one of the organizers/volunteers for Armageddon

It was such a slap in the face of all fans who had been waiting even those with exhibitors special passes that got them in quicker and waited 2 hours
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #85
Royd
Producer
Producer

As far as Supanova goes, I believe exhibitors do have some priority in queuing (it's not something that occurs often in the comics creator guest area) but I don't know if it takes precedence over VIP ticket holders - I'll have to clarify that because it's not a situation I've encountered often.

I've seen a few exhibitors queue for signatures but not for con sketches. If a comics artist is willing to take pre-show requests then I will approach a number of my collector friends (I reassure the artist that they are keen/reliable and that payment will be made at the show). However, at the show itself, it's first come first served (unless as Alex pointed out they jump around the queue).

If I'm interested in a sketch for my own collection, I make that known to the artist ahead of time but it doesn't always work out (on 4 occasions so far, I've told the artist to focus on the fans and leave mine till later and a couple have come through well after they've left the country). But in the event I'm unsuccessful, I figure I'll see them again in the USA or another Supanova tour

I must admit that I do get an exhibitor pass for SDCC (even if it's more expensive) because it's a) so difficult to get an ordinary fan pass which are usually sold out well in advance and b) it allows you early entry allowing you to line up after the doors open. A number of artists won't allow people with exhibitor passes to queue before the doors open but it helps you get in the first few spots if you're close by their table - competing with US collectors you need every advantage you can get

Last edited by Royd; 02-03-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #86
Royd
Producer
Producer

I was going to mention that as well. As a result of a well-publicised incident involving a "true fan" who begged Adam for a sketch and who then sold it the day after the show finished, Adam no longer sketches at shows.

The exception is the guaranteed eBay sketches where Allison auctions off 2 sketch spots prior to a show but I don't think she will be doing this for the Supanova tour. The eBay auctions generally realise between $2K - $4K!

I know it's disappointing for con sketch collectors but I also know there are a lot of fans who will want to meet Adam in person and get books signed. He often does quickie sketches as well. Hopefully Allison will bring along some original art for sale as she does at SDCC and other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Alison has apparently ruled out any sketching

Last edited by Royd; 02-03-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #87
Royd
Producer
Producer

The only Supanova staff whom I'm aware asked for sketches from Leinil asked for a quick sketch in a sketch-book - maybe that was what he referring to. I know he wasn't keen on sketching at the Adelaide show and he was also distracted due to Typhoon Haiyan's path of destruction through the Philippines.

Quote:
I had that problem with Lienil at Adelaide Nova. Now dont get me wrong, he was the nicest guy and I could see how honestly bad he felt saying no, but Lienil said no to adding a small headshot to my Batman jam because he didn't have time cause the con owner wanted sketches for himself and some friends (at least that's what I was told). Lienil mentioned he did these commissions for free, so basically a paying fan missed out so organisers could get multiple freebies.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #88
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:

Nah - I was referring to Tony Moore at Perthnova. I would have been happy with even a quick head sketch, but alas nothing.

I've also put other people ahead of me. I wanted to get Shanan a Labyrinth piece from Mark Brooks to pay her back for the Spidey sketch she got me at Dragon*Con all those years ago, but wanted to make sure that Ken got his sketch, and managed to sneak in a head sketch for Woody. One of the great things about this hobby is meeting fantastic like-minded people (so it's good to do a solid for them whenever possible).

Which reminds me - Rodney, I still have that Perez/Claremont print aside for you, so the next time I mention I'm coming to Melbourne make sure you remind me to bring it over!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #89
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
I was going to mention that as well. As a result of a well-publicised incident involving a "true fan" who begged Adam for a sketch and who then sold it the day after the show finished, Adam no longer sketches at shows.

The exception is the guaranteed eBay sketches where Allison auctions off 2 sketch spots prior to a show but I don't think she will be doing this for the Supanova tour. The eBay auctions generally realise between $2K - $4K!

I know it's disappointing for con sketch collectors but I also know there are a lot of fans who will want to meet Adam in person and get books signed. He often does quickie sketches as well. Hopefully Allison will bring along some original art for sale as she does at SDCC and other shows.
That was such a bummer. I'm sure there's a large number of people who would like to line up for shots at the guy who did it.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #90
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Nah - I was referring to Tony Moore at Perthnova. I would have been happy with even a quick head sketch, but alas nothing.

I've also put other people ahead of me. I wanted to get Shanan a Labyrinth piece from Mark Brooks to pay her back for the Spidey sketch she got me at Dragon*Con all those years ago, but wanted to make sure that Ken got his sketch, and managed to sneak in a head sketch for Woody. One of the great things about this hobby is meeting fantastic like-minded people (so it's good to do a solid for them whenever possible).

Which reminds me - Rodney, I still have that Perez/Claremont print aside for you, so the next time I mention I'm coming to Melbourne make sure you remind me to bring it over!
Not a prob mate!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote