Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #531
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Judge Death "Death Sentence Edition" Review

Well, I got my replacement Judge Death in recently, and I am happy to report that it arrived without any issues.

I'll admit that this one was a bit of an impulse buy. I don't know much about the character or the Dredd comics...well...at all really. I bought Dredd last year after watching the amazing Dredd 3D (if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and go buy a copy right now). I like to have a hero and his arch enemy in my collection, so when Death came up for PO, I jumped on it.

The packaging on the piece was good...almost too good. Each piece was wrapped in paper and foam, each of which was taped on. It was actually rather difficult and time consuming to get this guy unpacked. But, better safe than sorry, so kudos to PCS for doing their part to make sure this piece arrived at collector's doors damage free. I'm not going to bother describing the art on the box because, well, I generally don't give a **** what the box looks like...they all just get stored anyway.

The pose is...well...kind of ordinary, but hey, most statues are, I guess.

The regular edition comes with the open mouth portrait and one open hand for each arm. I got the Death Sentence Edition, which comes with two alternate switch out right hands (one is the impaled Judge helmet, and the other is the impaled gang member head) and one alternate head (mouth closed in a menacing grin). This piece definitely gets bonus points for the ability to customize your display in a number of ways.

I really like this piece. The details in the sculpt and the paint application turned out great, and this piece is definitely on par with the glorious Judge Dredd. The utility belt and belt buckle look amazing, the dragon on the shoulder (which is a separate piece) is very detailed, and the two exclusive hands have immense detail (the Judge helmet is all cracked where death's fingers poke through...amazing attention to detail!). The paint on Death's suit is a bit shinier and is a darker shade than Dredd's...I don't know if that is comic accurate, or if they should be the same. Other than the shade, I can't find a flaw in the paint anywhere on mine. Solid job there.

The one thing that holds this piece back, in my opinion, is the base. It's just kind of plain and boring looking. It kind of looks like he's standing on a big brown turd. Considering how much attention to detail they put into the figure itself, I think PCS could have put in a bit more effort to spice up the base, and make the piece even more visually appealing than it already is.

Overall, it's a very nice piece, and if you are a big fan of the Dredd universe, I imagine it's a must have. Even if you're like me and don't know much about the character, he'll look great on display in your collection. I'll be displaying mine with the closed mouth grin and the impaled Judge helmet.

Pose: 7.5/10, kind of generic, but menacing nonetheless
Detail: 9/10, great, great attention to detail on this figure
Paint: 10/10, I can't find a flaw with mine
Presence: 8/10, for an emaciated walking corpse, this dude does catch your eye with the great paint, huge claws, and maniacal facial expression
Base: 2.5/5, rather bland and boring...could have been done better
Bonus: 5/5, for the great amount of switch out parts on the Death Sentence Edition

Overall, this piece gets a score of 84% (42/50) on the brand new, highly complex Bmutha rating system.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #532
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Lmao! You rate Batman a 45 out of the box, but give this one a 42? The only two things Batman has over Judge Death is size and popularity, but I think popularity shouldn't really be a factor. Is that why you really gave the Batman PF a lesser deserving higher score, because he's more popular with you? I hope not. I mean, you did said so yourself that you didn't know the Judge Death character at all. This Judge Death 1/4 statue, although not as popular or known as Batman, is a masterpiece out of the box. It's ridiculously good, and I'm brand new to collecting. Maybe I should start reviewing to save the credibility of statues like Judge Death. Good grief.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #533
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
Lmao! You rate Batman a 45 out of the box, but give this one a 42? The only two things Batman has over Judge Death is size and popularity, but I think popularity shouldn't really be a factor. Is that why you really gave the Batman PF a lesser deserving higher score, because he's more popular with you? I hope not. I mean, you did said so yourself that you didn't know the Judge Death character at all. This Judge Death 1/4 statue, although not as popular or known as Batman, is a masterpiece out of the box. It's ridiculously good, and I'm brand new to collecting. Maybe I should start reviewing to save the credibility of statues like Judge Death. Good grief.
Judge Death is an amazing statue, no doubt.

My reviews are my opinion, but just to defend my integrity, Judge Death lags behind Batman a bit for the following reasons:

Pose: Although both are more or less "just standing there", Batman has a dynamic sense about him, like he just stepped up onto that gargoyle and is surveying the city below. Judge Death is literally just standing there.

Base: I don't think that too many people could argue that Judge Death's base is better than Batman's. There is just no comparison in my books. I only rate the base for 5 points total out of 50, so it's not as important to me as the figure itself, but given the amazing detail on Death's body, his base just pales in comparison...PCS could surely have done better there.

Presence: Batman got an extra point for presence because he's a beastly statue that I find grabs my eye a little more than Judge Death...maybe part of that is simply because he is Batman.

Also, Death beat Batman out on the Paint and Detail (I couldn't give him a 10 here because a 10 for Detail in my books is Doom PF, and Death isn't at that level) scores, because Death is flat out better than Batman in those areas.

Bottom line is, give Judge Death a more interesting base...or, heck, a flat base with the "death badge" logo on it, and the two scores are basically on par. That should support just how awesome this Judge Death is.

I've only written 2 reviews so far...I think you may find that as I write more, 42/50 is a damn fine score. Judge Death is a great, great statue.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #534
AlizAbef

It's cool dude. No hard feelings. Like you said, they're your reviews. I liked you review of Batman, and I'm aware you only have two reviews so far, but between these two reviews, I thought your overall score of Batman was just a little on the biased side in comparison to Judge Death. Keep reviewing, man!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #535
Bmutha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
It's cool dude. No hard feelings. Like you said, they're your reviews. I liked you review of Batman, and I'm aware you only have two reviews so far, but between these two reviews, I thought your overall score of Batman was just a little on the biased side in comparison to Judge Death. Keep reviewing, man!
Thanks, bud.

I may have let the fact that it's Batman pad his score a bit...I wrote the review shortly after fixing the pits and it's such an improvement, hard not to love the piece.

At the same time, though, the fact that it's such a popular character could work against a piece, too...I'm likely going to be way more critical of, say a Spider-Man piece (my favorite character), if they don't pull it off. Human nature to do so, I think...hard to be totally objective when reviewing a piece of art...it's not a math quiz with right or wrong answers (I guess if it was, what would be the point of reviews?).

I appreciate any feedback I get, though...as long as it is constructive criticism like you gave. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #536
AlizAbef

Batman is without question my favorite character, so yeah, seeing the way he came out was a big let down as opposed to a statue like JD; however, your in-depth review, tutorials of how to fix him, and pics were extremely helpful. They've even swayed my stubborn brain enough to think about actually purchasing him in the future. So thank you for that.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #537
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Nevermind
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #538
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Nevermind
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #539
MexxPaul
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Does anyone have a picture of Judge Death packed inside the box? I'm moving and need to get this bad boy stored.
MexxPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #540
Atheris
The Maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexxPaul View Post
Does anyone have a picture of Judge Death packed inside the box? I'm moving and need to get this bad boy stored.
This is why I always take pictures of pieces BEFORE I take them out of the box

Here ya go..

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote