Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 05-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #81
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I sent out email requests for Thor a few days after Simple Toys showed it was all sold out... I think people are so scared of being ripped off they don't give the other shops a chance... in hind sight I probably shouldn't say anything because right now I can get what I want but if everyone starts using the same places I do it's going to make it harder for me to get one

As for XM's business decisions, I'm curious about how many status end up outside their Asia restrictions? Total guess here but I'm guessing it's probably around 70% if not higher, I'm not sure XM would want to make decisions that would cut off that market even though it's a grey market they can't official touch, but it is a market that is using work arounds to get their statues. Cut that off with a website exclusive, makes me wonder how many they could actual sell to just their region...
Thank you for that info! I'm OK giving any company a shot that is on XM's official page. And I feel that way because I've seen the way XM reps on here respond to concerns if it's with a company on their list.

I just wanted to know if I needed to play the super PO the PO game with the other companies.

Keep us posted how it goes. Obviously I understand not divulging your source, I would hold that tight too
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #82
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
For me, this falls more into a "just because you could, doesn't mean you should" kind of argument.

XM certainly isn't breaking any laws by offering one or two exclusives a year. In the end, XM can do what it wants and fans are free to impose judgments (reasonable or not) on those marketing choices. However, history have shown that website exclusives potentially opens the door to convention exclusives, store exclusives, and so on. We've played this scene before and while the combined cash grab and exclusivity typically draws attention to the company, it often turns sour at the end for both the fans and the company.

P.S. I don't think I can endure another "flipper vs true fan vs greedy company" debate. All this to say, I opt for the status quo, even though it isn't ideal, but at least I can buy the pieces I want generally when I want with a livable amount of drama attached.

On the surface, it appears that these website exclusives do not have collectors like myself in mind at all (not that I feel entitled). All this to say, why would members of this forum, almost all of whom do not live in Asia, support any business decision that would exclude them?
If they want to do website exclusives with their Top Cow line, I say go ahead.

But, yeah, if they want to do this with the Marvel license, then how will an innocent true collector like myself get one?
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #83
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Imagine the bloodbath if one of these exclusives turns to be Dark Phoenix?

I don't think that will happen because it'll leave a lot of money on the table for a popular character. But if it did, I'll probably have to move abroad.
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote