Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Well, I read an interview years ago where Kirkman said he had 10 television seasons planned for TWD and 500 issues worth of storylines for Invincible. I was ready to have this title into my old years.
Oh, dang. 500 issues is nearly 42 years o_o
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
Dokstarr
Frackin!

I was surprised to see the news. I just kind of kept assuming it would keep going on for the foreseeable future. Even now I think the two big major plot points/arcs going on would take more than a year to finish, but it seems everything is going to come to a head in the 12 months.

Since it is ending in one year and there is no show as of yet I doubt one will materialize. It is probably hard to break in with yet another superhero show where there are so many big well known names out there like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Power Man, Kung Fu, Punisher, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, etc.

It would be very easy for a show based on an indy show to get just stuck in the shadows or creation limbo (still waiting for that Fables TV show that was announced way back in 2006ish). Only a few ever seem to get made. Powers is on the PSN (Playstation online) and I just realized season 2 came and went. Preacher just started, and then of course there is the Walking Dead. I know Locke & Keye has been coming for what seems forever now, but that has Stephen King's son as the creator. Just the name value will make cable and streaming companies more likely to take a look at it.

All the online hype for superheroes is dedicated to the big Marvel/DC shows so Invincible being a spandex and cape hero show makes it a much harder sell.

Even some shows don't last with just slightly lesser known characters - like the Hellblazer/Constantine show.

As for the art maybe keep a few pieces and sell of the rest because I believe demand will die down as people move onto other works. I imagine the art collectors may be first to go since they are looking toward the future and value.

Ten years from now after it is mostly forgotten by current comic fans will you still enjoy the art?

Like I have a two page splash of one of the big moments in Chew. The comic is ending soon which makes me sad, but I'm still keeping the art and not really worrying about value because of how much I liked the book. That is my only Chew piece though.

How big is your Invincible collection? I see you posting all the time. I can understand being concerned if you have a very large collection.

I was just planning on get my first Invincible piece too. I'm still planning on doing it and will see what Ottley has at NYCC because the comic has been one of my favorites and it was one of the very first comics I really followed.
Dokstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #13
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Talking

You're screwed.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Id buy some! :P
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
BillC
Hellboy

I wouldn't worry too much Rob.

All runs come to an end. Hell, even Action and Detective were stopped at times and restarted at #1 IIRC.

If the series was good, then it was good.

IMO Lee and Ditko's Spidey is the greatest run of all time and that only went 38 issues, 2 annuals, and AF 15. prices on that OA are insane.

Haven't gotten too far with Invincible (I think I read the first 12 or so issues) but if that's going 144 issues and its only had one writer and two pencillers in all that time (?), that is a serious body of work. IIRC Lee/Kirby went just a hair over 100 issues on FF. You know I love Valentino's GOTG and that really only went 27 issues and basically 1 annual.

If a lot of that Invincible art is in black hole collections that may help value. Also, Ottley burning some of his art from the early issues will only help value on the remaining pages.

If you love the stuff, want to buy more, and have the means to reasonably do so- that's all that matters. If you fear financial loss and want to cut your losses I'd consider not buying much anymore and enjoying the sizable amount you have. If you want to thin the herd I'd suggest selling off the lesser pages that you don't have too much attachment to.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
BillC
Hellboy

Hey did you ever ask Ottley for a rough list on what he burned? Roughly how many pages? Any key pages from #1, etc? Covers?
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #17
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I've had an opportunity to talk to ottley since the news. i don't feel so bad now, but, this book has really been a huge part of my life for a long time. I've been kicking around the idea of writing some fan fiction stories for a bit. i had some really cool ideas when i wrote a few scripts for invincible films. maybe ill play around with those to make me feel better. ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokstarr View Post
How big is your Invincible collection? I see you posting all the time. I can understand being concerned if you have a very large collection.
well, its really the only thing I've bought the last 5 years or so. i think I've got close to 200 OA pages including maybe 25 or so covers. won't even go into the commissions. had a cool statue commissioned a few years back also. its a very extensive collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Hey did you ever ask Ottley for a rough list on what he burned? Roughly how many pages? Any key pages from #1, etc? Covers?
bill, pretty sure that was just a few pages. i did see a cool splash of Anissa that got burned up. id say maybe a total of 10 pages? cory did all the art up through issue 7, ottley took over at 8 and has been cruising since then. issue 130 drops this week.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
Lucky Baru
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Keep the pages that mean the most and slowly start selling the ones that you no longer want. Sorry to hear that the series isn't going to continue. What a bummer.
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote