Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 04-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #881
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Just curious as to what the negatives are with the ARH if you were going to have it repainted anyway?
It was never my intention to have the ARH Barbarian repainted.

After seeing it at NYCC I decided to sell my PO because I prefer the look of the Moore Barbarian. It's my favorite sculpt of Conan.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #882
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-brother View Post
It was never my intention to have the ARH Barbarian repainted.

After seeing it at NYCC I decided to sell my PO because I prefer the look of the Moore Barbarian. It's my favorite sculpt of Conan.
Yeah didn't mean to imply that you were intending to get a repaint. The biggest complaint most have was concerning the production paint job so I was curious if that was it or something beyond what paint could fix.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #883
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Mines was very disappointing, the paint job and parts of the casting on mines was a problem...still had to keep it because the potential is there for a great statue, John Allred's repaint has given me hope for this statue.

Agreed with wolf-brother, Moore's version is still my favorite...just a better flow overall to the sculpt.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #884
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I had my unpainted 7of15 nude artist proof up on eBay last week.
No bites.

Fantastic job. Best Ive ever seen.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #885
Rokdweller
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Yeah didn't mean to imply that you were intending to get a repaint. The biggest complaint most have was concerning the production paint job so I was curious if that was it or something beyond what paint could fix.
IMHO there is nothing wrong with the ARH sculpt. Ehren did an outstanding job providing this in 1/4 scale. Nothing against Moore, the small size and making the decision to cut off the girl's legs just didn't work for me. The ARH factory paint is lackluster at best. The detail that can be brought out by a pro painter turns it into a masterpiece. I respect others who may think differently... just my own personal opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar-DSC_0812b.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	105268  
Rokdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #886
warhead

Agreed Ehrin did a great job on conan and slave girl, but I have some nit picks about the overall ARH version...IMO if Frank Sr. was alive he wouldn't approve of it as is...He would have made them make changes, He wouldn't approve the hair length in back because hair length behind left shoulder in portrait would tell you the length it was...it just wouldn't be true or accurate to the source, I don't think he would approve the girls legs dangling off of the base...I know Ehrin was trying to get it portrait accurate and address our concerns but Arahom made the decision to cut down on the base.

I think because Clay worked very Closely with Frank Sr. is why you get a better flow and accuracy with the C.S. Moore statue, I think the back anatomy sculpt on Clays is where it really outshines The ARH version, The ARH back anatomy looks a little wonky to me....just doesn't flow well in my eyes.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #887
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Sometimes anatomy changes have to be made. Sticking just with Frazetta stuff Troy had to lift the right heel of Atlantis to make it at least compatible with real world anatomy vs Franks flat footed painting. It is a subtle and needed change.

RE the Barbarians I love them both. Both had to address the base in one way or another, if they had replicated the painting exactly the base would be huge compared to the statue. The way Clay dealt with it was to cut off the slave girls legs, Ehren made it a little steeper and left the feet dangling over the edge to an extent (a mistake IMO, just a little wider base would have addressed that.

The barbarian characters in the statues Clay elected to move the right arm slightly and gives him a much more lithe and athletic look, I also like the back sculpt better on Clay's. Ehren has the arm much closer to the body the whole way down as it is in the painting, which can give it a minor shoulder roll look. I agree on that score I like Clay's just a small amount better but love them both.

As to the slave girl I think Ehren nailed the Frazetta chick much closer than Clay did. Clay is the master of female form sculpting and the slave is much closer to his version of a hot chick than a Frazett chick, IMO.

All in all I have a pro painted PPS Moore with bikini, a factory untouched moore nude, and now a pro painted ARH/Ehren and I love them all.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #888
warhead

I do love both sculpts, Ehren rocked it, like I said the only drawback on Ehren's version is the back for me, the hair I will customize to proper length and I will extend the width on both sides of base to keep it even and under the girls legs so its supported by earth.

I remember asking Clay a long time ago if he could extend the base for me... so it could have the girls full legs or if he would be offended if I had mine customized, I remember him saying he didn't have the time to do it and would have no problem if it was customized...just never found the time to get it done.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #889
warhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarim69 View Post
I had my unpainted 7of15 nude artist proof up on eBay last week.
No bites.

Fantastic job. Best Ive ever seen.
How much you had it going for on eBay!...got one of those grey nudes in my collection and am curious what they go for now.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #890
tarim69
Sailor Moon

I started it off at 450. I didn't put a reserve on it because eBay wanted to change $20 for a auction with reserve bid.

I haven't been on eBay for awhile... that's a change that suprised me, and I wasn't willing to pay it.

I figured 450 was a good starting point.

I adore the statue..I really love it.Ive had it for 13 years. I'm just getting older.... at a point in my life right now where Im really simplying and toys are less important.

I have a few other statues I may try to sell as well, so I may try again soon.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote