Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #271
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I keep looking at the poster. While I think it's safe, it's nice. It's more appealing to look at that TFA poster. More vintage and very red.

This is going to be Empire Redux.
Yeah, I'm going to have to track one down for my Poster collection. It'll go next to my Empire reprint, though I'm still looking for a decently priced Empire original.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #272
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Disney doesn't have the guts to do that. If you don't think that Rey's little speech was from a completely different cut then the scene with Kylo Ren well I don't know what to tell you. Would this be amazing if this did turn into a tragedy of sorts? ..Yeah. But Disney likes to print money so it won't. This is going to go exactly like you expect...LOL

FYI- I desperately want to be proved wrong but after TFA I have very little faith in the "main" Star Wars movies
Oh I have faith. They saw what a cash cow and rave reviews Rogue One had. Now while that storyline lent itself to death of all characters, Disney approved the dark version. The writers had a more "Disney friendly" version and execs said no, go ahead and bring it.

PLUS history proves that viewers can only take so much sweet before it becomes to tedious. Look at how Empire is most fans fave of the series (it's mine, with Rogue One being #2, then ANH). Last time I checked there isn't much light and joy in the film, it's all darker tones.

My feeling is that Disney is going dark this time and they are doing it with Rey. I'm a little surprised nobody else thinks like I do, or is more apprehensive that it will happen. Is it because Rey is female and it's harder to watch a younger woman be evil than a younger man?

That's not a sexist comment, just more a comment of how the world views and expects young, attractive women to be -- more gentle, strong but not evil or dark. From first hand experience, it's usually those types of women who are the most evil and ruthless. (Not me, I've just had to deal with them)
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #273
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Oh I have faith. They saw what a cash cow and rave reviews Rogue One had. Now while that storyline lent itself to death of all characters, Disney approved the dark version. The writers had a more "Disney friendly" version and execs said no, go ahead and bring it.

PLUS history proves that viewers can only take so much sweet before it becomes to tedious. Look at how Empire is most fans fave of the series (it's mine, with Rogue One being #2, then ANH). Last time I checked there isn't much light and joy in the film, it's all darker tones.

My feeling is that Disney is going dark this time and they are doing it with Rey. I'm a little surprised nobody else thinks like I do, or is more apprehensive that it will happen. Is it because Rey is female and it's harder to watch a younger woman be evil than a younger man?

That's not a sexist comment, just more a comment of how the world views and expects young, attractive women to be -- more gentle, strong but not evil or dark. From first hand experience, it's usually those types of women who are the most evil and ruthless. (Not me, I've just had to deal with them)
I would love to see Rey go bad personally but I do think Disney views her as a cash cow, you keep Rey good and you can sell tons of merchandise to young girls, she goes bad I'm not sure you have those same sales on merchandise.

I think there probably was a lot of misdirection in that trailer and given the fact the Director was saying if you don't want spoilers don't see it makes me think it's even more about misdirection.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #274
Vallos
Jubilee

You can have her go bad, then find redemption.

(that could be kylo's story too)
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #275
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I have a sinking feeling we will see a lot of similarities between this and Empire. Luke takes the place of Yoda and Rey is the student. Rey is subjected to the same situations as Luke (e.g. Luke in the cave). Rey is tempted by Kylo (e.g. Luke tempted by DV and Rey will be tempted by KR.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #276
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:

This is an interesting thought, and it caused me to wonder why you chose the user name you use on this forum. Is there a back story to that you wouldn't mind sharing?
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #277
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I have a sinking feeling we will see a lot of similarities between this and Empire. Luke takes the place of Yoda and Rey is the student. Rey is subjected to the same situations as Luke (e.g. Luke in the cave). Rey is tempted by Kylo (e.g. Luke tempted by DV and Rey will be tempted by KR.
Well, that would be something we haven't seen before...right? If your "sinking feeling" turned out to be true, I think that would be one of the worst ideas ever. They already completely re-treated A New Hope with Ep. VII. Doing it again would be the ultimate lameness. I sure hope that doesn't happen, as I'm really looking forward to this and don't want to see the same thing over and over again.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #278
built2shred
Phoenix

To be fair the whole tree thing is a right of passage for new Jedi, so it makes sense Luke has her use it like he did when he was training on Dagobah
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #279
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Please no more switching back and forth from the dark to the light side. Yoda clearly says the darkside is the easy path. And the redemption of Anakin Skywalker was rare and nearly impossible path. That why the theory that Han killed himself to protect Ben who is in “deep cover” is dumb as Ben would be constantly surround and tempted with dark side.

Plus I don’t buy what the trailer is trying to tell us. The trailer is full of clever editing as misplaced dialogue to conceal what the story really is.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #280
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
If it's not misdirection then wow, Luke is going to have to take on everyone in the Star Wars 9
That works for me.