Statue Forum 


XM Studios





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #2021
built2shred
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
Adamantium Plus Member
 
built2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
Damn thatís dreadful. For $500+ itís gotta be a spitting image of the prototype. Sideshow (somehow) managed to get it perfect with their Red Sonja with a sword, but this is a big time fail for GG. The face of the Lucky prototype is museum worthy.
After the first Honey Trap statue the quality went down hill fast.

As for SS, yeah they did a great job with Red Sonja but they also have a long list of other statues that failed QC wise. It's like for every 1 great statue SS does they do 3 bad ones (QC wise).
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #2022
ukshaun
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
After the first Honey Trap statue the quality went down hill fast.

As for SS, yeah they did a great job with Red Sonja but they also have a long list of other statues that failed QC wise. It's like for every 1 great statue SS does they do 3 bad ones (QC wise).
Did you ever get hold of a Whisper Red Variant?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #2023
jadekite22
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
 
jadekite22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
independently-produced Scarlett Johansson Black Widow bust
Any links? pictures? info?
I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Tkb2C97WQ

I think you maybe misunderstand some of my comments. I fully understand, and don't expect a factory to replicate a paint app of a prototype 1000%. That would be asking too much

Captain Marvel by Sideshow is a great example of how to do things right. I own the statue, and it looks perfect.

The Major by Weta, again, the production piece looks 100% like the prototye.

Sucker Punch Blondie by Gentle Giant, looks very very close to the prototype.

Heath Ledge The Joker from Sideshow, what's in the box looks just like what they show on the website.

Michelle Pfeiffer catwoman showed that Sideshow don't always get it right. It was good, but mine had lousy eyes. Sideshow soon fixed the issue by sending out a new head, and she looks great

Hot Toys with their 1/6th scale, gain, perfect results. What they show is what you get, pretty much.

DC Collectibles and their Harely Quinn had super lousy eyes. They were so poor, i re did them myself. I had some fun doing so. I didn't mind messing around with a low price 1/6th statue. When it comes to a high price 1/4 scale, i should have to be re painting eyes, and i won't.

My main gripe with Lucky is, the eyes are not straight. One points inwards. The eyebrows are different shape. I place the blame on the factory. Somehow, the factory has painted the rest of the statue just fine (work that one out).
I don't own Whisper, i have read comments posted by others, the Red variant was produced to a much higher standard compared to the grey Whisper. This points to one thing, the factory AQ
Yeah, I don't support that Youtube channel due to its promotion of recasts, but that's the bust. Like I said, I did mean my comments about looking into customs in sincerity, not in confrontation. The bust occasionally turns up on B/S/T groups (I nearly went for one on Facebook, but I don't have a Marvel collection to justify it.)

As far as the eyes, yours might be more extremely inward, but there is some degree of inwardness when one peers over their glasses, which is why I posted the picture. When you Google search it, it's the difference between someone genuinely doing so to focus on a distant object or simply posing with their glasses on their nose. That's where I think the subjectivity comes in because it's questionable, given the pinup nature of the line, whether she's really aiming the machine gun or doing a seductive pose thing. The straight-on look of the prototype eyes lead me to believe the latter, but the serious expression defies that. The production eyes point to aiming, but she's not exactly looking down the sights either Maybe the factory had no idea what Harbottle was going for either . . .

We probably disagree on a couple of the production pieces you mentioned (which I won't name in order to not derail the thread. I also prefer positive critique over negative.) But you enjoying them (or not) is what's important. If I had a decent camera, I'd take my own pictures to counter that admittedly dreadful, high flash one of Lucky, or that DCC Harley Quinn because mine didn't get bad eyes, same as my original Catwoman PF didn't get the saggy mixed media many others did. But many of the statues seen praised as proof of, say, Sideshow's improved QC or DC Collectibles's cleaner paint I've had to return, more so this year than any in my handful of years in this hobby. Different experiences.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #2024
ukshaun
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Yeah, I don't support that Youtube channel due to its promotion of recasts, but that's the bust. Like I said, I did mean my comments about looking into customs in sincerity, not in confrontation. The bust occasionally turns up on B/S/T groups (I nearly went for one on Facebook, but I don't have a Marvel collection to justify it.)

As far as the eyes, yours might be more extremely inward, but there is some degree of inwardness when one peers over their glasses, which is why I posted the picture. When you Google search it, it's the difference between someone genuinely doing so to focus on a distant object or simply posing with their glasses on their nose. That's where I think the subjectivity comes in because it's questionable, given the pinup nature of the line, whether she's really aiming the machine gun or doing a seductive pose thing. The straight-on look of the prototype eyes lead me to believe the latter, but the serious expression defies that. The production eyes point to aiming, but she's not exactly looking down the sights either Maybe the factory had no idea what Harbottle was going for either . . .

We probably disagree on a couple of the production pieces you mentioned (which I won't name in order to not derail the thread. I also prefer positive critique over negative.) But you enjoying them (or not) is what's important. If I had a decent camera, I'd take my own pictures to counter that admittedly dreadful, high flash one of Lucky, or that DCC Harley Quinn because mine didn't get bad eyes, same as my original Catwoman PF didn't get the saggy mixed media many others did. But many of the statues seen praised as proof of, say, Sideshow's improved QC or DC Collectibles's cleaner paint I've had to return, more so this year than any in my handful of years in this hobby. Different experiences.
Supports recasts? Of the videos i've seen from Statue Collector117, he appears to unbox genuine statues from Sideshow etc.

If the weather is any good (ie bright) on Wednesday i'll take a couple of shots of Lucky with and without the shades, without using a flash.

I discovered a dire looking bust of SJ while searching. Black Widow - Scarlett Johansson (Avengers) bust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJChhn1-30
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #2025
jadekite22
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
 
jadekite22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Supports recasts? Of the videos i've seen from Statue Collector117, he appears to unbox genuine statues from Sideshow etc.

If the weather is any good (ie bright) on Wednesday i'll take a couple of shots of Lucky with and without the shades, without using a flash.

I discovered a dire looking bust of SJ while searching. Black Widow - Scarlett Johansson (Avengers) bust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJChhn1-30
Well, supports as far as showcasing them in reviews and saying it's an individual consumer choice issue rather than a moral infraction. I imagine many folks on the forum find me disagreeable for often being sympathetic to the business and artistic side of statue production more than the consumer side, particularly in cases such as with recasts and knockoffs, where they affect sales for the producers legitimately holding the licenses.

I'm no fan of Sideshow, for example, sitting on a bunch of licenses and only making the A-list characters; but I wonder once a company like XM--who take more risks with characters choices--can't rely on resellers to sell the their stock to (i.e. from obtaining global distribution rights) whether their bottom line will be affected enough by the insane amount of recasts on eBay enough to follow Sideshow's business model. That will be a sad day.

That would be nice. Even they're unflattering, I always support photography that looks more like the in-hand product, which is partly why I'm always criticizing artificial lighting companies like Prime 1 and Kotobukiya use in website and promotional material. It's typically unflattering and non-representative of the in-hand product. There's way too much $$ collectors have to consider before POing these days, so every picture counts, for better or worse.

That bust is . . . um, well I don't want to offend anyone in case the artists on the forum somewhere. Not to my personal tastes.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #2026
built2shred
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
Adamantium Plus Member
 
built2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Did you ever get hold of a Whisper Red Variant?
I saw pictures of it and looked awesome, I had the regular Whisper which was still good but not quite as good as the Red Variant, and then I collected the next 3 Honey Traps with each one being worse then the previous one QC wise, probably didn't help that I kept getting ones with broken parts in it.. GG is rather horrible and package design to keep stuff from breaking.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:22 AM   #2027
ukshaun
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I saw pictures of it and looked awesome, I had the regular Whisper which was still good but not quite as good as the Red Variant, and then I collected the next 3 Honey Traps with each one being worse then the previous one QC wise, probably didn't help that I kept getting ones with broken parts in it.. GG is rather horrible and package design to keep stuff from breaking.
I assumed you had a Red Whisper lined up and had seen her at a show in person

I have no issues with either Derby or Kat-Ya as both turned out great. Sure i had a slight moan about Derby's shield not being frosted. I passed on Whisper grey with plans on someday picking up Whisper Red.

I get the impression, Gentle Giant, when it comes to Fireball want to show something that reflects the shipped product. Rather than showing something they cannot mass produce for the price point they aim for.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #2028
ukshaun
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,278
Apologies in advance if this is a re post.
Today i discovered this Gentle Giant video for the Honey Trap girls
It was posted on Apr 5, 2017. I wondered if this was the HT item a GG were talking about 'teased a future release at SDCC, showing off the digital sculpt for an upcoming HT release...' - JuliusMarx

HONEY TRAP by Gentle Giant Ltd.
https://youtu.be/kk8a2ZFAN04

Fireball is there, both with crash-helmet on and off
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #2029
zxplee
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 97
lucky price cut

https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Giant-...70_&dpSrc=srch I just bought her for 100 skins more.if only i would of waited 5 days
zxplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #2030
ukshaun
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...
 
ukshaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxplee View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Giant-...70_&dpSrc=srch I just bought her for 100 skins more.if only i would of waited 5 days
Great
I wish Gentle Giant would collect my Lucky (with dodgy eyes) up and re fund. Then i could take another chance
The dog tags were missing. GG were going to send some out. So far, no sign of them?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com