Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #23431
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Black Panther 8/10 Fun as hell, but really nothing we haven’t seen before and the villain is weak imo.
Felt like Iron Man 1 to me.
Well, I’ll be the one to say it, this is disappointing news. I was hoping BP would break the mold a bit by abandoning the Marvel cliches in favor of some innovative creative thinking. The fact that the villain is weak might be the most bothersome aspect to me. All this isn’t to say I won’t enjoy the film as the first Iron Man was indeed fun but following the established formula feels like a major missed opportunity to turn the page. Superhero fatigue is real and the fact that so many of these Marvel heroes seem to have interchangeable solo stories is the biggest contributing factor IMO. That being said I’m still looking forward to the movie.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #23432
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm curious to know how we can break the mold on these comics movies? I think Infinity War will break it, a little, as it's a darker theme. But other than that, I'm not sure that Disney can break the mold AND still keep their fanbase happy. Because IMO, to break the mold you need to use deeper source material and not be so bright and flashy.

IF Disney/Marvel retool X-Men, THAT will be the franchise that could be used to break the mold. X-Men has a lot of more mature story telling that I don't think can be glossed over.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #23433
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

No way do Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios let any director stray from their formula for these movies. The stakes are way too high. Having a predominantly black cast is already enough of a risk to them I bet.

If you want to see a Marvel property really break the mold then watch Legion on FX.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #23434
Mister H
Gen 13

If the Captain Britain movie happens, then we could see a character that has a mixture of magic, Superman and Green Lantern qualities.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #23435
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
If you want to see a Marvel property really break the mold then watch Legion on FX.
Absolutely. Legion is amazing and wholly unique. I highly recommend it.

As far as film goes, I’d argue the R rated Fox films Deadpool and Logan both branched out and brought us something different, each in their own way.

When it comes to the Disney Marvel films Infinity War looks to be more of the same to me. I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate it’ll be innovative despite the hype surrounding it being a conclusion of sorts. Feels more like a last hurrah for actors who have decided to move on from their iconic roles than anything else.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #23436
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
No way do Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios let any director stray from their formula for these movies. The stakes are way too high. Having a predominantly black cast is already enough of a risk to them I bet.

I don't think that has ever been the case since Disney is well aware how much money predominantly black cast movies make and bring people in the seats (i.e., Get Out, Any Media Movie, The Color Purple, etc....) It's hardly a risk and more of a slam dunk. It's the old school people (not you!) who don't see that African Americans, Latinos, Asians, and other minorities will go the movies in droves to support studios, actors, directors, and writers that create entertaining stories that showcase actors of non-white ethnicities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Absolutely. Legion is amazing and wholly unique. I highly recommend it.

As far as film goes, I’d argue the R rated Fox films Deadpool and Logan both branched out and brought us something different, each in their own way.

When it comes to the Disney Marvel films Infinity War looks to be more of the same to me. I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate it’ll be innovative despite the hype surrounding it being a conclusion of sorts. Feels more like a last hurrah for actors who have decided to move on from their iconic roles than anything else.
I already watch Legion Watched since it was fresh on FX and love it. Being an X-Men centric comic reader, I love myself anything Mutant.

It is true that Logan and Deadpool are the movies that break the mold, but that's because they focus on what I said they would have to -- a darker, grittier story. None of the current MCU will do that. For that we need to turn to our Netflix offering. And also hope that Disney lets the X-Men be a little darker.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #23437
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Haven't critics said that the villain in BP is among one of the best in recent years?
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #23438
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain81 View Post
Haven't critics said that the villain in BP is among one of the best in recent years?
That is 100% right, but I mean, is that really praise? Considering in that time we've had Baron Struker, Malekith, Ultron, Justin Hammer, Whiplash, Killian, Ronan, and Ego? All of them quite frankly uninspired villains.

I will say that Killmonger is more interesting than those guys, with a more fleshed out reason for wanting to fight. But when you guys see it, I think you'll see a lot of other films in this.

The film IS good, it's just a retread IMO, and like Hellboy said, comic fatigue is playing a massive part in all this.

I hated Dr Strange, and I thought Thor Ragnarok was one of the worst comic book films I've seen in a really long time.

By comparison, this is great. But to me, it's still an 8/10 at best, which is a shame because I think the cast is ace.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #23439
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I'm curious to know how we can break the mold on these comics movies? I think Infinity War will break it, a little, as it's a darker theme. But other than that, I'm not sure that Disney can break the mold AND still keep their fanbase happy. Because IMO, to break the mold you need to use deeper source material and not be so bright and flashy.

IF Disney/Marvel retool X-Men, THAT will be the franchise that could be used to break the mold. X-Men has a lot of more mature story telling that I don't think can be glossed over.
I think personally that will only happen with some deaths.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #23440
RichBamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Well, I’ll be the one to say it, this is disappointing news. I was hoping BP would break the mold a bit by abandoning the Marvel cliches in favor of some innovative creative thinking. The fact that the villain is weak might be the most bothersome aspect to me. All this isn’t to say I won’t enjoy the film as the first Iron Man was indeed fun but following the established formula feels like a major missed opportunity to turn the page. Superhero fatigue is real and the fact that so many of these Marvel heroes seem to have interchangeable solo stories is the biggest contributing factor IMO. That being said I’m still looking forward to the movie.
Sorry buddy, I always seem to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to the movies, since we more or less have the same sort of thoughts on these.