Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #511
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Honestly, I attribute it to the source material looking cheesy now viewing it from the eyes of an adult. As a kid, I LOVED Thundercats as well as other cartoons like Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, etc. but now when I view it as an adult, the costumes look extremely cheesy. Lion-O is an adult male cat running around in what looks like a leotard showing off his mid-riff. Doesn't get much cheesier than that.

If Sideshow wants something that people will buy, it may sound bad but they need to ignore the source material costume and do something modern. They should still have elements of the original costume like the color and the symbol but they need to get rid of that midriff and leotard look. Trying to update it by doing biker shorts on the "modern" look does not help.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #512
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwestley13 View Post
They still have a ways to go on this Carrot Top PF
The illustration of a well made point.

adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #513
SONICobra
Batman

its not like they cant crack the code in regards to updating things, just look at motu or even mumm-ra himself - this was just a bizarre miss from every angle
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #514
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
The illustration of a well made point.

Ahahaha ...what the f**k!

You guys crack me up!!
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #515
bwestley13
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Honestly, I attribute it to the source material looking cheesy now viewing it from the eyes of an adult. As a kid, I LOVED Thundercats as well as other cartoons like Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, etc. but now when I view it as an adult, the costumes look extremely cheesy. Lion-O is an adult male cat running around in what looks like a leotard showing off his mid-riff. Doesn't get much cheesier than that.

If Sideshow wants something that people will buy, it may sound bad but they need to ignore the source material costume and do something modern. They should still have elements of the original costume like the color and the symbol but they need to get rid of that midriff and leotard look. Trying to update it by doing biker shorts on the "modern" look does not help.
This is from the 2011 reboot. It suffered from the same thing as Young Justice, high rating on CN but no toy sales.

I think they greatly improved everyone but made Lion-O much younger.
His father, Claudus was huge.

Sideshow totally needs a new Cheetara

bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #516
Old Snake
Kindly Asked To Leave

Nostalgia is what drives people to open their wallets for a cat man in spandex. A "modern" reimagining no matter how logical, will not sell. The reboot was a commercial failure. TCats just isn't MOTU. Sideshow needs to get their heads out of their asses.
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #517
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Cant wait to see what they have to say on the live show, when they unveil this. The Ex head looks like he is yawning with his eyes open (I think it is due to the no lips, that AC_808 pointed out earlier).

My question for everyone now is, if they do push out a Cheetara quickly and it is a knockout, does that save the line for you or is it all just dead with Lion-O?
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #518
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Nostalgia doesn't move me so much beautiful statues do.... and lets be honest 75% of those old superheros looked ridiculous.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #519
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I can't have a whole collection of men in underwear in my house. Thank goodness they modernize the look of most of these characters
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #520
bwestley13
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
Nostalgia doesn't move me so much beautiful statues do.... and lets be honest 75% of those old superheros looked ridiculous.
Before He-man and Lion-O we had Thundarr!

bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote