Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #1071
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Amazing that I have to point this out, but there is a difference between disagreeing with someone and belittling them and their points. Pretending to laugh at someone simply because they are on the side of the discussion you don't agree with is what's childish. Not to mention that I have acknowledged multiple people who don't share my opinion of this film as respectable individuals with valid viewpoints. But that won't fit the narrative of me being the narrow minded a-hole you're trying to make me out to be, does it? So please, continue with the baseless accusations. They are oh so convincing.
Dude, you're the one who keeps calling names with those that don't agree with you.

Then your name calling gets pointed out.

And finally you cry about being a victim.

Rinse and repeat.

What's next? You post that you're done responding to me, only to keep responding to me because you have no self control.

Predictable and boring.

Just like The Last Jedi!
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 AM   #1072
Luminous
Cyclops

I can't be that boring since you've apparently deciced to stalk me.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #1073
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Are you winking and blowing kisses at me?

My wife is going to be jealous!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #1074
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
Why do you take anyone who disagrees with you as a personal affront?

So quick to call names, like a petulant child.

TLJ sucked and sucked big time. I figured nothing could be worse than the prequels.

Boy was I wrong.
Quote:
Dude, you're the one who keeps calling names with those that don't agree with you.

Then your name calling gets pointed out.

And finally you cry about being a victim.

Rinse and repeat.

What's next? You post that you're done responding to me, only to keep responding to me because you have no self control.

Predictable and boring.

Just like The Last Jedi!
Quote:
Are you winking and blowing kisses at me?

My wife is going to be jealous!
The problem is that you state opinion as fact. Nothing more nothing less. Furthermore, you mock those who share a different view than yours directly and indirectly. Do you truly believe that by doing this you would get more converts to your cause? Wouldn’t be more productive to respectfully disagree and to explain yourself? This is not Facebook, you know? This is a mature forum (for the most part) and we like to keep the conversation on a mature level. No need for inflammatory remarks and sarcastic comments.

Now, this is only my advise. Take it or leave it. But if you do, it’ll serve you well. I guarantee it.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #1075
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
It's not "hitting" something per se (a star, in this case) that is the issue. Other canon material has since elaborated that it's essentially gravity that can wreak havok and pull a ship out of hyperspace... destructively even.
This sounds right to me, Zenlogikos.

Well, we know that Han never actually has found out what would happen if he did hit a star because he always made sure to avoid them. But I think it does make sense that the danger of flying too close to something in space is that the gravity of a very large (gigantic) celestial object could pull your ship out of hyperspace, so it wouldn't be that you would actually hit the object in hyperspace, you'd lose your hyper tunnel path or whatever and be brought back into normal space and then face destruction.

Which again, would make sense that while in hyperspace your ship could normally fly right through a small object like a spaceship and they'd barely notice anything at all.

Now then, having read far too much about this subject on the web tonight, especially in some youtube video comments, I think someone's suggested explanation of what happened in TLJ just might help to solve the problem so I'll relay it here combined with a couple other ideas I found that seemed to make sense, and an idea of my own. Basically Holdo's ship briefly entered hyperspace, suddenly ran out of gas, and rematerialized just inside the first order flagship, then some kind of residual hyperspace energy wave like a shockwave in space proceeded to continue on into normal space to combine with the nuclear explosion caused by hitting the first order flagship and damage and destroy the other first order ships. The idea is that Holdo's maneuver had to be absolutely perfect in it's timing for this all to happen, she had to run out of gas at just the right moment and the enemy flagship had to be just at the perfect spot exactly when that happened and subsequently all of the smaller first order ships had to be in just the right proximity as well. This was like a one in a hundred chance that it would work and that she didn't just rematerialize in space a sitting duck a few miles away from the ships having accomplished nothing. Apparently at very close range plotting a course where a ship would enter into hyperspace then immediately come out of it would be very hard to predict the exact location of where a ship would reappear because once in the hyperspace tunnel the ship would not be able to have full control of some aspects of the direction and speed it is traveling, while in the hyperspace tunnel so basically Holdo did a lot of computations, some guessing and also she basically just got lucky. Also the first order flagship is so huge that it is a much easier target to hit than the smaller ships would have been. I'm willing to accept this as a possible explanation, and the reason why hyperspace weapons are not popular in the Star Wars galaxy is because most of the time they would simply miss the target as being off by a few miles is still the norm when this is tried.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #1076
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

I think the use Holdo's jumping to Hyperspace to destroy the First Order Star Destroyer is nothing more than a lazy plot device. It's just one example of many that illustrates the paper thin and nonsensical narrative that is prevelent through out the film.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #1077
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
The problem is that you state opinion as fact. Nothing more nothing less. Furthermore, you mock those who share a different view than yours directly and indirectly. Do you truly believe that by doing this you would get more converts to your cause? Wouldn’t be more productive to respectfully disagree and to explain yourself? This is not Facebook, you know? This is a mature forum (for the most part) and we like to keep the conversation on a mature level. No need for inflammatory remarks and sarcastic comments.

Now, this is only my advise. Take it or leave it. But if you do, it’ll serve you well. I guarantee it.
You're going to give me a lecture about respect and mocking when your bright little buddy is the one who so quick to do the name calling? Aim your preaching in the correct direction.

You should look harder to see who is trying to convert whom.

This conversation is a about as useless as a shirtless Kylo Ren scene.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #1078
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Cool it in here guys!

You want to have an intelligent debate? That’s fine, but the personal attacks, lack of respect for one another’s opinions and ESPECIALLY the trolling need to stop NOW!
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #1079
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
I think the use Holdo's jumping to Hyperspace to destroy the First Order Star Destroyer is nothing more than a lazy plot device. It's just one example of many that illustrates the paper thin and nonsensical narrative that is prevelent through out the film.
I think everyone can agree that it certainly does need some explanation, even just a few lines of dialogue from someone before or after the event I think would have gone very far. The more specificity the better.

I don't like how Rian Johnson basically told the viewer, here you write your own explanation for this. This is all I'm giving you.

For example, what is the deal with Kylo killing Snoke? Did he hide his true intentions from Snoke, or did Snoke know full well what would happen? Why did Snoke say what he did before Kylo killed him and should I even expect for any of it to ever be explained in the next film? Should we even care? I mean, if the writers and director don't care, why should I?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #1080
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Star Wars Episode 9 will be ten minutes long. One minute for the opening crawl, seven minutes for end credits and two minutes for the Resistance to destroy the First Order fleet with their new weapon, the Holdo Hysperspace Torpedoes.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote