Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 05-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #151
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Then I gladly pay up Your logic is sound in terms of the dating. However, it’s not as if her outfit was exactly modest and it did vary based on artist during that era. And your con needs was not that of those who interpret the “sexiness” in the way I find frustrating, I get your logic bc I enjoy more comic accurate myself, but I let it slide here.

And it’s not a “character flaw” to take into consideration who may see the statue, it might be a flaw if they judged you on it and you took it as a negative. It’s your collection that you pay your own money for and buy it to enjoy. It’s just icing on the cake if other enjoy it freely too

Also, welcome to the forum!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 AM   #152
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneleer Tivan View Post
Well, you've lost that bet. I was simply pointing out that, for a line called "Super Powers" (suggestive of the early 1980s when the Jack Kirby series was published), the costume doesn't match the comics of that day. It is a more revealing version of the early 80s costume, and probably a bit too much for display in my home, where my tastes are the deciding factor (I do take friends and family into consideration in that regard; perhaps that's a character flaw). It has nothing to do any overarching political, philosophical or societal statement. I don't do virtue signaling; I find it classless.
Well, jeremydmc is looking to unload his Golden Age statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I can finally replace this old thing. LOL

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #153
Gothamite
Phoenix

The official website states that Tweeterhead is using real Swarovski crystals in the jewel bag.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #154
built2shred
Phoenix

The more I look at it the buckles just clash with the rest of the outfit... The outfit is very clean and sleek and the buckles just look out of place.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #155
Taneleer Tivan
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Well, jeremydmc is looking to unload his Golden Age statue.
Um...I already have that one! Perhaps that explains my disappointment in Tweeterhead's version?
Taneleer Tivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #156
Taneleer Tivan
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Then I gladly pay up I get your logic bc I enjoy more comic accurate myself, but I let it slide here.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Thanks!

I think I have difficulty letting the "comic accurate" thing slide. I have avoided favorite characters in the past because their statues just didn't get it "right" in my eyes, and I even purchased one statue because it was so spot on and reminded me of a single story (and I wasn't the biggest fan of the character).

It is all in the eyes of the beholders, isn't it!
Taneleer Tivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #157
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
On the conversation of the costume being “sexed up”, I have my money on their person commenting is not confident with themselves and is trying to fight the feminist battle for me. To those people I say - knock it the F off. Women can be sexy and be powerful, strong, smart, and whatever they want to be all while wearing whatever they want. The sooner women, and people, understand that, the sooner the important battles can be fought. What a woman wears is NOT the issue. Not even close.

Guess what - I am a woman and I find this statue to be perfect in design (ok, maybe 99.9% based on my above post). What people should be looking at is how CONFIDENT Selina is. How she is taking what she wants, wearing what she wants (impractical as it is) and is ruling her OWN world.

Put this statue on your shelves and enjoy it. Sure, she was drawn and designed by men - but that doesn’t mean designers and those appreciate her design should be lectures because we see the WHOLE Selina/Catwoman and not just her suit.
I do not know if your comments were aimed towards me but I was expressing an opinion.

First off, I am not trying to fight any feminist battle (I do not know where feminism was even mentioned. Did I mention it? I will have to check my past posts.)

Second, I was commenting on the accuracy of the costume. I was wrong about the exposing of more leg on the costume but as I said (and pictures here prove it) she never showed that much cleavage (as pictures here prove it). To me it just seemed a little more of a turn off.

Third, I do think that as a sculpt that this is a great statue. Catwoman does look very confidant as the character always has been. And I do agree with you it is not about what a person wears but as I said I was commenting on the accuracy.

Fourth, back to the "Feminism" issue. I just want to post the meaning of feminism according the the Merriam-Webster dictionary
"the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes"
I do think that word gets tossed around alot and is misused and people do not quite understand the meaning. I feel it is a gender neutral word and the meaning is applicable to all sexes.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #158
Gothamite
Phoenix

Not sure why people keep harping on "comics accurate or not". DC made a statue with even deeper cleavage than this one. Furthermore, there were hundreds or even thousands of pages drawn of this costume with many variations (buckles/no buckles, etc). Just bc one might not like something doesn't mean it's not "accurate".

Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #159
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

but at least Tweeterhead gave her high heels. If you were a super-heroine or villianess in the 70's or early to mid 80's, your costume had to have high heels. Apparently the wearing of high heels greatly affected your ability to fight or commit crimes. Though I do think that the Crisis did away with that.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #160
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneleer Tivan View Post
Thanks!

I think I have difficulty letting the "comic accurate" thing slide. I have avoided favorite characters in the past because their statues just didn't get it "right" in my eyes, and I even purchased one statue because it was so spot on and reminded me of a single story (and I wasn't the biggest fan of the character).

It is all in the eyes of the beholders, isn't it!
I have a hard time letting it go on Storm a lot of times. She, being my favorite, is always the first to face my harshest critiques The Jim Lee design of hers is always a hot topic and I have avoided MANY statues of her because her suit was not "comic" (silver) accurate, but was "cartoon" accurate (white).

I must say - I do love that this statue comes with real sparkles in the bag
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote