Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #711
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
While i really like xm’s joker i have to agree, i was thinking the exact thing the other day, that if SS had made this they would’ve been killed for it. Tbh I think SS has f#cked up so much that people don’t tolerate much from them, and at the slightest slip or hint at something they don’t like people kill them for it.
Thanks for understanding my point. That’s all I’m trying to say...these two companies are held to entirely different standards.

I don’t like this Joker statue but I don’t go into the XM boards looking to stir things up. I used to think XM’s sculpts were second class in the beginning but with most of their sculpts now I can’t even tell if they are Sideshow or XM. Iceman...drool. They still have duds in my opinion...such as this Joker but they barely get any criticism. And if they are critiqued the comments are more civil and nowhere as nasty as it gets on the Sideshow boards.

Do they blow Sideshow out of the water? No I’d say sculpt and paint wise they are pretty much on par (for prototypes). So it is laughable when someone comments that preferring SS’s Mystique is crazy talk. That was what started the XM fanboys talk for me.

But what do I know...I’ve never seen a XM piece in person and I can’t afford them (typical XM fanboy comment) Rolls eyes...
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #712
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
No, but I was trying to make a point. Do you see much critique on that board?
Superman gets a longer chin, Batman and Poison Ivy are bigger than normally depicted...people are unhappy. Hey I'm one of these critics.

XM makes Joker a mechanical engineer....nothing but praise. See the double standard here? My point is XM is not subjected to the same level of vitriol compared with Sideshow. In fact from my experience you will get called out nearly every time you critic a XM piece.

What makes it even better is XM fans have to come here and call people crazy for preferring Sideshow's version (see Mystique discussion a couple pages back). Like it or not these two companies are held to very different standards and from my experience one side has very fanatical fans.
Well to be fair, that forum is not active as Sideshow forum. I don’t like XM joker either and probably will kind of hate it once they release their price for this statue lol. Tweeterhead is offering an amazing statue at the same scale at probably a cheaper price.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #713
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
No, but I was trying to make a point. Do you see much critique on that board?
Superman gets a longer chin, Batman and Poison Ivy are bigger than normally depicted...people are unhappy. Hey I'm one of these critics.

XM makes Joker a mechanical engineer....nothing but praise. See the double standard here? My point is XM is not subjected to the same level of vitriol compared with Sideshow. In fact from my experience you will get called out nearly every time you critic a XM piece.

What makes it even better is XM fans have to come here and call people crazy for preferring Sideshow's version (see Mystique discussion a couple pages back). Like it or not these two companies are held to very different standards and from my experience one side has very fanatical fans.
Ok, I can see that for sure. I cannot tell you why that is, other than maybe what the guy below said about how it could simply be relative to how busy the Sideshow section is as opposed to the XM.

The way I see it, is this. I think a majority of people see two sides to the story - XM and Sideshow. I see a third side that is what I would place myself into - one that likes both companies, owns pieces from both companies, has praises for both companies and has complaints about both companies. But, a lot of people here simply try and lump people into the SS fanboy group or the XM fan boy group and forget the in-between. I'm sure there are people here that would label me an XM fan boy, even though that is hardly the case. For example, I sold my XM Ms. Marvel to buy the Sideshow Captain Marvel because it blows the XM away.

I think the biggest reason, too, is that there are a LOT of Marvel fans and XM and Sideshow are the only companies able to produce 1/4 scale Marvel. Prime 1, yes, did have three pieces, but the word on the street is they either don't have the license anymore, or it's on hold.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #714
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
Well to be fair, that forum is not active as Sideshow forum. I don’t like XM joker either and probably will kind of hate it once they release their price for this statue lol. Tweeterhead is offering an amazing statue at the same scale at probably a cheaper price.
Yeah that forum isn’t as active...why isn’t it? You’ve got all these collectors singing XM’s praises and yet the forum is quiet. Unfortunately for me I have to hear all about how XM ----s all over Sideshow...

Yup Tweeterhead’s Joker is amazing at a great price! Harley looks fantastic as well as do the two hyenas. Last I heard Harley’s production piece was not as good though.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #715
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Yeah that forum isn’t as active...why isn’t it? You’ve got all these collectors singing XM’s praises and yet the forum is quiet. Unfortunately for me I have to hear all about how XM ----s all over Sideshow...

Yup Tweeterhead’s Joker is amazing at a great price! Harley looks fantastic as well as do the two hyenas. Last I heard Harley’s production piece was not as good though.
Most collectors are priced out for XM statue, I think. Sideshow statues are more affordable. There are more criticism against Sideshow statues because there are more people willing to buy them over XM. So when XM releases the statue of the same character with better design, it frustrates people I guess.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #716
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:

I have the Tweeterhead Harley and she came out amazing. I had zero issues with mine. I know several came with broken tassels on the Ex headgear. They are being replaced by Tweeterhead though.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #717
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Thanks for understanding my point. That’s all I’m trying to say...these two companies are held to entirely different standards.

I don’t like this Joker statue but I don’t go into the XM boards looking to stir things up. I used to think XM’s sculpts were second class in the beginning but with most of their sculpts now I can’t even tell if they are Sideshow or XM. Iceman...drool. They still have duds in my opinion...such as this Joker but they barely get any criticism. And if they are critiqued the comments are more civil and nowhere as nasty as it gets on the Sideshow boards.

Do they blow Sideshow out of the water? No I’d say sculpt and paint wise they are pretty much on par (for prototypes). So it is laughable when someone comments that preferring SS’s Mystique is crazy talk. That was what started the XM fanboys talk for me.

But what do I know...I’ve never seen a XM piece in person and I can’t afford them (typical XM fanboy comment) Rolls eyes...
So true, even on their worse pieces they have some of the most civil constructive criticism lol, to be fair though maybe its because their willing to make changes.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #718
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I guess for me, it's situations like what happened with Mystique that annoys me. They show us a silhouette of a Mystique with a machine gun and long hair, and then 4 weeks later the reveal happens and neither of those options is anywhere in sight. Then I ask on the live show, and the answer is "oh we had a long hair but it didn't make it past approvals."

Ok, so why bother teasing people with something you know is not able to be included?

Or remember when Magneto was a Premium Format on initial reveal and most people panned him? Then, they made a few small revisions and suddenly he was a maquette with a price tag of almost $200 more than Wolverine?

It's things like this that gets on my last nerve.

Anyways, back to Mystique. I'm still torn, but I do like a lot of aspects of this piece. I wish we could get confirmation if the X-23 switch out piece has metal claws.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #719
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I guess for me, it's situations like happened with Mystique that annoys me. They show us a silhouette of a Mystique with a machine gun and long hair, and then 4 weeks later the reveal happens and neither of those options is anywhere in sight. Then I ask on the live show, and the answer is "oh we had a long hair but it didn't make it past approvals."

Ok, so why bother teasing people with something you know is not able to be included?

It's things like this that gets on my last nerve.

Anyways, back to Mystique. I'm still torn, but I do like a lot of aspects of this piece. I wish we could get confirmation if the X-23 switch out piece has metal claws.
You remember this? With Sideshow it is just puzzling sometimes. I've stopped caring about these things as I've gotten older. With these new Sideshowified costumes and never ending price increases it's a good thing. I can't even remember that last Sideshow piece that's gotten me properly excited.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #720
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
So true, even on their worse pieces they have some of the most civil constructive criticism lol, to be fair though maybe its because their willing to make changes.
That's a good point. There's a more involved feeling with the XM stuff. You have the owners of XM discussing their products with the collectors on a continual basis; you can talk directly to Ben, Ang, or Bryan and make a suggestion or give an opinion. If the collectors say something needs to be changed or it doesn't look right, the XM guys will look into it. Collectors feel involved in the process and they have revamped several statues because of criticism.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote