Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #441
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Complaining is a loaded phrase.

I said this didn't impress me as much in clear full length photos/video as it had from the mosaic of isolated close up images the first video promo was cut from.

And I should have been clear by "Thor" I mean the statue as a whole.

I think I posted this prior, but for Thor to be taking on Surtur , it's something of a David V Goliath situation. Surtur is huge and Thor is a bit of an underdog.
There's a lot of fight in that dog though and that's a good part of the appeal is that he is all in against a superior sized foe.

Because of that, I think a more substantial Surtur base would have worked well (better?).

Just my feeling about it. YMMV obviously.

Ok, so you are talking about the overall height of the statue ...not just Thor himself. You're basically saying this statue would've worked better if it was taller. Obviously, that's a personal point of view. That's fine.

I just don't agree with that point of view. So even if a statue and its base are well sculpted, proportioned and painted, it still not good enough because its not tall enough? Nope, I don't buy that.

I'd rather judge a statue on how well its sculpted, proportioned and painted ...instead of its overall height. A statue can be the tallest statue, but if its badly sculpted or badly proportioned or badly painted ...then you just have a tall ugly statue.

This Thor statue works because Thor himself is well sculpted, proportioned and painted.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #442
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpower View Post
Shame head is small ,the proportion is off

Waiting for a comic one hopefully.
none of this makes sense
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #443
actionjackson83
Midnighter

really wish they'd give us a video or booklet guide to get to these intricate cape poses lol...
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #444
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
...So even if a statue and its base are well sculpted, proportioned and painted, it still not good enough because its not tall enough? Nope, I don't buy that.

I'd rather judge a statue on how well its sculpted, proportioned and painted ...instead of its overall height.
A statue can be the tallest statue, but if its badly sculpted or badly proportioned or badly painted ...then you just have a tall ugly statue.

This Thor statue works because Thor himself is well sculpted, proportioned and painted.
Again, you seem to mischaracterize what I say and then take exception with that mischaracterization.

It was not simply taller. I said larger. To further clarify, that means larger in every dimension- height, width, and depth. Because Surtur himself is a much larger adversary.

That doesn't take anything away from how well Thor himself is realized.

But this is a diorama. It doesn't make sense if you only focus on Thor. The point of the statue is about him in relation to his adversary here, of which we only get a fractional view of.

Because that fractional view here is smaller, or equal, in mass compared to Thor, it means the threat he represents is already diminished quite a bit.

Does that make the statue a failure in my eyes?
No.
Is that point a deal killer for me?
Not necessarily.
Do I think the statue could be even better if it the composition had been done a little differently?
Yes.

It seems that, when something is popularly regarded, if everyone isn't fully on board and 100% fawning over it, suddenly they are "complaining".
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #445
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Again, you seem to mischaracterize what I say and then take exception with that mischaracterization.

It was not simply taller. I said larger. To further clarify, that means larger in every dimension- height, width, and depth. Because Surtur himself is a much larger adversary.

That doesn't take anything away from how well Thor himself is realized.

But this is a diorama. It doesn't make sense if you only focus on Thor. The point of the statue is about him in relation to his adversary here, of which we only get a fractional view of.

Because that fractional view here is smaller, or equal, in mass compared to Thor, it means the threat he represents is already diminished quite a bit.

Does that make the statue a failure in my eyes?
No.
Is that point a deal killer for me?
Not necessarily.
Do I think the statue could be even better if it the composition had been done a little differently?
Yes.

It seems that, when something is popularly regarded, if everyone isn't fully on board and 100% fawning over it, suddenly they are "complaining".
I'm not trying to attack you when I use the word "complaining".

Complaining, criticizing, commenting ...whatever words you use the reasoning behind it is still the same. And that's what I don't agree on.

This is not a dio since Surtur is not in full form ...its a statue of Thor. Surtur's head is just the base ...it helps to show what Thor is doing, but its not a dio.

IMO, the base is fine as is since this is a statue of Thor. As long as Thor is well sculpted, proportioned and painted. This is not a VS dio.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #446
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Pretty simple, Surtur is all powerful and can be any darn size he wants to be.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #447
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Overall the feedback on this piece is absolutely amazing it kills all Thor’s before it imo. Could the base be larger I think yes maybe SS could make surtur bigger .

Those who hate the cloth cape who cares I’m not displaying it with a cape I’m positive it will be removable .

Proportion stuff and head being small is classic trolling don’t feed the trolls!
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #448
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Are people not liking this now or something? The vibe in here seems different.

Still looks like one of Sideshow's best ever to me. Epic in every way.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #449
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
none of this makes sense
Obvious troll job .
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #450
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

People are saying crap calling it an opinion . The base wether I want to pretend it’s Surtur or just a fire demon is irrelevant I’m buying this for Thor . Just like SS miles morales I bought I don’t care for giant venom head base I pretend it’s not there . Why?

In the big picture I display all my characters together interacting with each other the bases are irrelevant .

And Yes..... trolls!!!
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote