Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #112
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Anyone think Randy will ever do 1/4?
No I don’t. But don’t have any rationale as to why I feel that way.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #113
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I do not think he will either. Randy always wanted to keep his product at a somewhat affordable level, which they definitely were. I think that doing 1/4 scale would put everything into a whole different price point that many of the ardent Bowen collectors would not want to pay.

Also, 1/4 scale would not fit in line with what Randy has already produced and for that reason alone I cannot see that happening.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #114
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
No I don’t. But don’t have any rationale as to why I feel that way.

I do. I asked him. He said no.
I can't remember if he gave me any reason behind it. I was too busy running back and forth from the car with my wife bringing statues to him for signing!
I think he should stick with 1/6 anyways. As much as I like them it is getting harder to display 1/4 because of their size. As well with price increases it will become more and more practical for collectors to go back to 1/6.

I don't think Sideshow has hit $1000 with any of their quarter scales but when they do or when that becomes the norm for a quarter scale the 1/6 scale will become very appealing.
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #115
COI

I agree, Bowen could be well positioned to make a huge comeback at 1/6. At this point the 1/4 market is too crowded, but 1/6 for statues has been lacking.

If he were to time it right, he could get a lot of collectors burned out or priced out of 1/4 to jump on-board. Especially if he maintains a commitment to comic accuracy.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #116
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I agree, Bowen could be well positioned to make a huge comeback at 1/6. At this point the 1/4 market is too crowded, but 1/6 for statues has been lacking.

If he were to time it right, he could get a lot of collectors burned out or priced out of 1/4 to jump on-board. Especially if he maintains a commitment to comic accuracy.
I think it all depends on production and economies.

A lot of Bowens have had time to appreciate and gain a following more than new sculpts. They were also done by some of the stars of the industry many of which have moved on to animation or obviously charge a lot more for their time now. Asking people for $350+ for simple 1/6 (or even slightly smaller) sounds like a tough sell to me.

I think the Diamond's Marvel Gallery PVC and Marvel Premier and DC Direct type stuff would eat his lunch.

Some of this stuff is really good. Have you seen any of the PVC's in person? I'm not trying to compare the merits of Bowen and this stuff but more the prices.
I'm sure there are things, especially in this forum, people would more appreciate about Bowen but at the $50 (and sometimes $30 on sale) to $200 some of this stuff is very competitive for the price unless Bowen could hit his old prices

https://shop.diamondselecttoys.com/m...s?pagenumber=2
https://shop.diamondselecttoys.com/marvel-gallery

https://shop.diamondselecttoys.com/f...tales--statues

I just don't see it.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #117
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

That assumes people won't pay up for quality or preference. I think this thread, in and of itself, is evidence to the contrary. A lot of the less expensive stuff is pretty cool and well made for the price, but that's just it...for the price. You get what you pay for. There's obviously a market there, but I don't think it would ruin Bowen's opportunity.

That said, a 350 baseline (to use your example) would be pushing it.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #118
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
That assumes people won't pay up for quality or preference. I think this thread, in and of itself, is evidence to the contrary. A lot of the less expensive stuff is pretty cool and well made for the price, but that's just it...for the price. You get what you pay for. There's obviously a market there, but I don't think it would ruin Bowen's opportunity.

That said, a 350 baseline (to use your example) would be pushing it.
Paint and sculpt wise I see little of superiority with the common museum Bowens (not things like the Action Thor etc.) Those $45 PVC statues have as much detail, paint apps, and no more slop than any of my Bowens.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #119
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

I think the Diamond's Marvel Gallery PVC and Marvel Premier and DC Direct type stuff would eat his lunch.
I see it the exact opposite - Bowen would crush them IMO

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #120
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Paint and sculpt wise I see little of superiority with the common museum Bowens (not things like the Action Thor etc.) Those $45 PVC statues have as much detail, paint apps, and no more slop than any of my Bowens.
Wow I totally disagree, I will pay for the quality of a bowen I wont even display those $45.00 pvc.
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote