Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

In no way am I condoning or forgiving the lateness of this book's 5th issue. It's been a year since the last issue of this or Archie Comics other Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa other horror title, After Life With Archie, but ... this issue is just so damn good I'm willing to forgive a little bit.

Taking place in the town over from Riverdale, this Sabrina comic is so unlike any other horror comics on the racks right now, that it's well worth checking out. Dripping w/ 70's cine'-horror goodness, this book's a love letter to The Excorcist, Salem's Lot, Rosemary's Baby, 70's horror-Italian film, Suspiria, etc...

Dark woods, satanic alters, coven trials and spells are common place drawn on sepia toned panels by Robert Hack, who's art is just perfect for this book. Betty & Veronica from over in Riverdale are in this latest issue in a downright jaw dropping scenario that I just was blown away by. The book presents genuine scares wrapped in a story that, as far as I can remember, has not been done in a comic book before, not even in the excellent book Wytches over at Image.

Sabrina takes place in the 60's, so you have that askew, off-putting sense of classic Archie comics, only slightly perverted in a horror way. The book also, at times very subtly pays homage to the great horror of the past. It's fun to look for.
This & The Vision are the books that are really impressing me right now.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

Anyone who's read Chilling Adventures watching the show on Netflix? It's holding on to a lot of the arc-story, but adding plenty of it's own tale. What I love is that their using tons of the comic's art in the show's opening credits.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

I've watched the first 4 episodes so far and am really enjoying it. And yes, those opening credits are great, and I play them completely each time. Though every time I see Aguirre-Sacasa's name, I wonder why he can't be bothered to write some more issues of Sabrina or Afterlife w/Archie.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I've watched the first 4 episodes so far and am really enjoying it. And yes, those opening credits are great, and I play them completely each time. Though every time I see Aguirre-Sacasa's name, I wonder why he can't be bothered to write some more issues of Sabrina or Afterlife w/Archie.
Love that Classic Sabrina image they use towards the end when they give credit to "Archie Comics". My theory on Aguirre-Sacasa is that he was directed by someone, to really push Archie comics television footprint & that's where all his energies are going. Why in the hell he doesn't just hire a new, good writer to work on these books is beyond me. Really dumb move w/ no thought towards the comic fans.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

Indeed... this is a big "f- you" to the very readers who responded overwhelmingly in favor of this Archie renaissance. I used to rant about J. Michael Straczynski's habitual lateness with his books, but this mess with Archie Comics makes that pale in comparison.

What kills me is that I haven't found any other horror titles that have clicked with me the way Afterlife and Sabrina have. Though I did buy last year's Creepshow graphic novel reprint, upon which the above cover is based. That was a lot fun to read again.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Indeed... this is a big "f- you" to the very readers who responded overwhelmingly in favor of this Archie renaissance. I used to rant about J. Michael Straczynski's habitual lateness with his books, but this mess with Archie Comics makes that pale in comparison.

What kills me is that I haven't found any other horror titles that have clicked with me the way Afterlife and Sabrina have. Though I did buy last year's Creepshow graphic novel reprint, upon which the above cover is based. That was a lot fun to read again.
Give Mark Millar's Magic The Order a shot. It scratches that itch, at least it has for me. I've never looked at the Creepshow comic version as I've never been a big fan of movie-to-comic-interpretations. Is there something I've missed w/ Creepshow?

Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Anyone who's read Chilling Adventures watching the show on Netflix? It's holding on to a lot of the arc-story, but adding plenty of it's own tale. What I love is that their using tons of the comic's art in the show's opening credits.
Here’s an article about Roberto Aguirre-Sacassa, Archie and Sabrina in today’s NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/a...re-sacasa.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
Babytoxie
Ghost

Ah yes, I have heard of The Magic Order and planned on checking out the collected edition. I appreciate the reminder!

As far as the Creepshow graphic novel, it's a fairly faithful retelling of the shorts from the first movie. It's fully illustrated by Wrightson, so that's good enough for me!

And wktf, thanks for that link.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Here’s an article about Roberto Aguirre-Sacassa, Archie and Sabrina in today’s NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/a...re-sacasa.html
Cool article on a guy who absolutely deserves to be working on both these shows. That being said, very little mention of the 2 comic books he's started & his job as Publisher for Archie Comics so one can see how he's really back-burnered the comic part of his life which is a shame. Archie Comics has to make some decisions on the future of their mature-line soon.