Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #481
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I’ve basically stopped. Not necessarily because of the price, but because of space and QC issues. I think many prospective collectors will not take the initial jump at the current price point. I remember thinking $300 was absurd, but there was one piece I really wanted, so it took the plunge. Never would have happened at $800.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #482
Araxel
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I’ve basically stopped. Not necessarily because of the price, but because of space and QC issues. I think many prospective collectors will not take the initial jump at the current price point. I remember thinking $300 was absurd, but there was one piece I really wanted, so it took the plunge. Never would have happened at $800.
Exactly.
When I started collecting statues and paid like 350€ people were like "woah that's so much money, but if you enjoy it, it's still okay".
Nowadays I lie about prices, because people would laugh at me when I told them that I'm thinking about paying 1400€ for a statue that has almost the same dimensions and quality of those that only cost 600€ a few years ago.

Yes, Gladiator Hulk, I'm talking about you.

My enjoyment of this hobby drastically went down this year, because I can't justify the new prices.
Especially because the QC issues are still there and I really expect flawless quality at these price tags.

Prime 1 will still get money from me and I actually have a few preorders, but I'm actually thinking about cancelling PO's because most statues will end up cheaper in the aftermarket.

Let me list some examples:
Batman Arkham Knight Prime 1 1/3 - release 1100€, aftermarket NEW 750€
Robin Prime 1 Arkham Knight - release 950€, aftermarket NEW 500€
Deathstroke PF - release 599€, aftermarket NEW 450€
Killer Croc PF - release 580€, aftermarket NEW 350€
Araxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #483
ukshaun
Hercules

The Hobby feels at an all time slow, rather low, as i'm forever seeing teases far too early on. I'd rather they announce the piece days before pre_order.

Personally, 2019 will be a slow year for me, as i've held off pre_ordering, until i've cleared pre_orders from 2018. I did break this self imposed rule only 2 days ago, when i urge to pre_order Rogue Rogue Maquette became too much. I have a feeling before 2019 is out, Domino and Catwoman PF will have been pre_order. My plan is going well'ish, as i've almost cleared all pre_orders and get to go on Holiday this year

3 others might make the list, once pre_order appears:
PCS - Street Fighter - Laura Matsude
H.M.O. - Dark Stalkers - Felicia
XM Studios - Scarlet Witch

..then there's always Prime 1 - Gantz:0 Reika

That's 6 pre_orders already!!!!!
..i'll wait, and wait.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #484
Asgard
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxel View Post
Let me list some examples:
Batman Arkham Knight Prime 1 1/3 - release 1100€, aftermarket NEW 750€
Robin Prime 1 Arkham Knight - release 950€, aftermarket NEW 500€
Deathstroke PF - release 599€, aftermarket NEW 450€
Killer Croc PF - release 580€, aftermarket NEW 350€

I would like to have Batman Arkham Knight Battle Damaged in my collection. But i'm waiting a year then i will see what i do
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #485
craigcliff1
Zot

I use to buy at least 10 statues a year for about 10 years. now for a few years I just buy a statue here and there. Use to collect many license now it's just G.I. Joes, Transformers. Rise in statues and shipping, and how much I lose so on resell and this has made me have not much excitement about statues
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #486
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I’ve got 11 statues and 6 Hot Toys on preorder.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #487
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
I use to buy at least 10 statues a year for about 10 years. now for a few years I just buy a statue here and there. Use to collect many license now it's just G.I. Joes, Transformers. Rise in statues and shipping, and how much I lose so much on resell and this has made me have not much excitement about statues
yeah now I go for what means something to me instead of what looks cool because of prices. Everything looks cool but not these new prices cool. Back for me is the 80s lines and the occasional favorite characters for me. The superheroes that means something to me.
I remember the day I asked my co worker about the sideshow statues. He said yeah I seen those. They were expensive he says, lIKE 50.00? I SAID NO...THESE ARE 600-800.00! He said what??? Are you crazy??? Now they are 1500.00 for a pf... Can you imagine what he would thin k now of I told him the price from a year ago which is just about double.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #488
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I’ve got 11 statues and 6 Hot Toys on preorder.
Wow! I haven't pre-ordered in numbers like that is quite sometime. Awesome stuff!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #489
Araxel
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
yeah now I go for what means something to me instead of what looks cool because of prices. Everything looks cool but not these new prices cool. Back for me is the 80s lines and the occasional favorite characters for me. The superheroes that means something to me.
I remember the day I asked my co worker about the sideshow statues. He said yeah I seen those. They were expensive he says, lIKE 50.00? I SAID NO...THESE ARE 600-800.00! He said what??? Are you crazy??? Now they are 1500.00 for a pf... Can you imagine what he would thin k now of I told him the price from a year ago which is just about double.
I'm pretty sure Sideshow is increasing the price to test out what people are willing to pay, while reducing their cost.

Let us look at the new Poison Ivy PF vs. the old Poison Ivy PF.

NEW IVY: 570$/585$
2300 ES 1.323 million dollars

OLD IVY: 350$
4000 ES 1.4 million dollars

So in this example Sideshow makes roughly the same amount of money, statues are comparable in complexity too.
But due to lower ES they save shipping costs (factory -> US/EU/ROW), they save support staff (less complaints/returns/breakages), they need less other staff (shipping & handling, quality control, painting), they need less storage space (warehouse).

Maybe I have forgotten some things here, but you get what I mean.

This is a win/win for Sideshow, they lose or at least alienate ~45% of customers, yes.
But especially since it's likely that the customers with less money get priced out it's not really a loss for them in the long run, if there are enough people willing to pay the new prices.
Araxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #490
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxel View Post
I'm pretty sure Sideshow is increasing the price to test out what people are willing to pay, while reducing their cost.

Let us look at the new Poison Ivy PF vs. the old Poison Ivy PF.

NEW IVY: 570$/585$
2300 ES 1.323 million dollars

OLD IVY: 350$
4000 ES 1.4 million dollars

So in this example Sideshow makes roughly the same amount of money, statues are comparable in complexity too.
But due to lower ES they save shipping costs (factory -> US/EU/ROW), they save support staff (less complaints/returns/breakages), they need less other staff (shipping & handling), they need less storage space (warehouse).

This is a win/win for Sideshow, they lose or at least alienate ~45% of customers, yes.
But especially since it's likely that the customers with less money get priced out it's not really a loss for them in the long run, if there are enough people willing to pay the new prices.
Maybe they will profit in the short run but they are damaging the brand image and will suffer in the long run. People are already saying Sideshow= Greedshow and their competitors already make expensive products that are superior to what sideshow has to offer. So if the less financially fortunate are priced out Why would the wealthier choose sideshow over P1 or XM???

The only significant advantage sideshow has is their almost Monopoly on certain highly sought after licenses. SIDESHOW is located in america so Their marketing and customer service IS EXCELLENT compared to the other companies.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote