Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #2961
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
So uneventful? Season 1 was full of events. How are you not hooked when in Episode 1 you see incest and a boy shoved out of a tower window "for love"? From there you had people attempting to murder the kid in the bed, spouse infighting, murder of a king, evil punk b!tch Joffrey, and the beheading of the beloved Ned Stark?

I'm not sure we watched the same first season. No way could (or did) I check out from that! Hell, i read the books because of it!!
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #2962
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
This is a great post. The show spun wheels in mud for 10 years.

I should've checked out after Season 1, which was so uneventful that it usually took me two or three days to make it through one episode (it was that tedious!!!).
I think you'll find your attitude towards the earlier years to be in the very small minority. If you hated it so much why watch at all, and why even care enough to post in this thread? Some people just like to pile on.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #2963
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
That is what the writers are telling us basically happened AND IT MAKES NO SENSE (and I know you think the same).

In my opinion, I would have loved for Grey Worm and 10-12 men to walk in after Jon killed Dany. They would steadily move towards him to kill him but then Drogon swoops down in between them (since Jon is now the last Targaryan) and protects him. Jon gets on Drogon's back and flies off. While it isn't perfect (since Drogon was obviously more bonded to Dany), it would have played better than what they did IMO.
While that would have been cool to watch it would have been even less believable given the current narrative. This is another example of how rushing to the end compromised the story. The best example of course being more time and episodes were needed to make Dany's trip to the dark side believable. As it stands Drogon would have barbecued his ass, last Targaryan or not. He certainly wouldn't have helped him or carried him to safety. If they would have spent more time showing Jon bond with the dragons, Drogon in particular, then it would have been easier to accept Drogon not killing him.

Then:

Arya steps out just as Drogon flies off (because she had been hiding in there to kill Dany but Jon beat her to it) and says lets get out of here before they find you. This removes Jon from the clutches of Greyworm, who again, would have certainly killed him on the spot.

Greyworm demands the north hand over Jon. They refuse. More episodes, more war, lots more people die. Greyworm realizes the Unsullied and Dothraki are in danger of going out forever. After all, they're badly out numbered because we're showing the realistically low number of them left after the long night instead of the magically respawned huge amount. Normally they would fight and die to the last man, but Greyworm realizes they must survive to carry on Dany's legacy in Essos and prevent slavery from returning. So he reluctantly agrees to Jon's exile to end the war. The Unsullied and Dothraki leave Westeros.

Tyrion is dead. Because Greyworm of course killed him. No way around that. Good riddance.

Bran, being the Three Eyed Raven he should be, suggests Gendry be king. He has the blood line and has been a peasant himself, so will rule fairly. The council votes aye.

The internet is at peace.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #2964
Mister H
Gen 13

There's been a lot of griping on the internet it seems, about not only the last episode but the whole season. I think it's deserved because of the obvious rush job on what should have been at the very least a full if not extended season. I started to really notice this season was rushed after the first couple of episodes. I've also heard a couple of the cast members have some strong words for fans who are doing the griping. I get that they are sticking up for "most" of the folks who have worked on the show, but the writers, IMO, definitely deserve some criticism. Some fans have been very harsh and said things that were uncalled for but most of the problems people have are legitimate...again IMO. I still love GOT and plan to watch the series again but it may be a while before I do. I will read the books to see if I like them better. If you build a long story that you know people care about, don't just "get it over with" so you can work on Star Wars. If they had taken their time and drawn the season out more, then a lot more folks would be on board with how things played out.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #2965
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
So uneventful? Season 1 was full of events. How are you not hooked when in Episode 1 you see incest and a boy shoved out of a tower window "for love"? From there you had people attempting to murder the kid in the bed, spouse infighting, murder of a king, evil punk b!tch Joffrey, and the beheading of the beloved Ned Stark?

I'm not sure we watched the same first season. No way could (or did) I check out from that! Hell, i read the books because of it!!

This! Someone online said something that summed it up perfectly, "After the show ran out of book material, every character got a lot dumber".

I haven't read the books but I've heard they've fallen off in the later ones? So maybe the big man wrote himself into a corner or doesn't know where to take the story? Still one of the greatest shows of all time imo, and while the quality dropped it didn't completely ruin it's legacy in the same vein as Dexter(or to me anyways) lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #2966
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:

I should've checked out after Season 1, which was so uneventful that it usually took me two or three days to make it through one episode (it was that tedious!!!).
I love ya bud, but for me season 1 is the single greatest season of television ever made.

To each their own.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #2967
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
This! Someone online said something that summed it up perfectly, "After the show ran out of book material, every character got a lot dumber".

I haven't read the books but I've heard they've fallen off in the later ones? So maybe the big man wrote himself into a corner or doesn't know where to take the story? Still one of the greatest shows of all time imo, and while the quality dropped it didn't completely ruin it's legacy in the same vein as Dexter(or to me anyways) lol.
The story telling got more massive in scope. Book five is hard to judge with all the cliff hangers. Fortunately George is aiming to finishing book six next year.

I love all five and cannot wait to finally get to re read them all again once Winds gets a release date.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:29 AM   #2968
Tushar
Hellboy

Good news folks... Martin says the next book will be out by July 2020.

I'm choosing to believe him this time.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #2969
Tushar
Hellboy

In the meantime, this guy gives an amazing alternate ending. It's worth your 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU
Old 05-23-2019, 03:43 AM   #2970
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:

That's an interesting take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
In the meantime, this guy gives an amazing alternate ending. It's worth your 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU
That would've been SO much better. I think I might just pretend this is how it ended.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote