Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 AM   #11
dao2
Cyclops

Why is there a ban on youtube links anyway :|
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 AM   #12
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

You can post YouTube but has to be from Statue Forum Youtube page. In XM section MOD explained that was so people didn't post their own stuff.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
You can post YouTube but has to be from Statue Forum Youtube page. In XM section MOD explained that was so people didn't post their own stuff.
Terrible rule imo :|
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Not a bad rule...but there could be exceptions, trusted uploaders who cover events for those who can't attend, I imagine that wouldn't be too difficult to do.
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf65 View Post
Not a bad rule...but there could be exceptions, trusted uploaders who cover events for those who can't attend, I imagine that wouldn't be too difficult to do.
I don't like it :| I don't think people soliciting themselves was a big issue, that I saw and I do appreciate people posting their videos of a statue that came in. And from what I've seen they've always been forum members. If there is anyone blatantly abusing it you could warn/ban them I guess but again I've never seen anyone just come in and post their videos everywhere hoping to get a bunch of subs.

There is some exceptions I believe, but only for the review section.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I don't like it :| I don't think people soliciting themselves was a big issue, that I saw and I do appreciate people posting their videos of a statue that came in. And from what I've seen they've always been forum members. If there is anyone blatantly abusing it you could warn/ban them I guess but again I've never seen anyone just come in and post their videos everywhere hoping to get a bunch of subs.

Totally agree, it's an idiotic rule. And it's just a cover/excuse for the real reason; they only want their YouTube videos here and no one else's. Apparently they don't like the competition, as if the people who are posting the videos even see it like that. People like nearmint, Sisko, etc these people are posting these videos so we have the ability to get some visual information on these statues. They're not doing it for monetary reasons.

It's a silly, petty rule that encourages me to NOT click on any videos they post up there.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post

They must have had issues with some posts, but as you say I didn't see it as a big problem with the videos I watched.
More control on what is shown would be better than none shown at all.
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Exclamation YouTube Rules

There is no ban on YouTube videos. In fact we encourage you to share them with the forum, we’ve just changed the method in how you can do it. The reasoning for this is twofold...

1) Certain YouTubers will use this forum due to it’s high traffic as a way to promote themselves and/or other things that aren’t acceptable. Many of these people also have no presence on the forum itself and contribute nothing.

2) Many links would take you to places that promoted unlicensed product and we can’t have the forum affiliated with any of that for what I would hope is obvious reasons. Ultimately we are responsible for what is posted/promoted here so it comes down to the logistics behind policing said content.

What isn’t allowed is posting direct links in threads. While this may be convenient for our members it’s a near impossible task to expect the handful of mods we have here to click on every link and watch every video to make sure they pass muster.

What is allowed is letting us upload them to Statue Forum’s official YouTube Channel. This way we can either accept or decline the video based on whether it meets the acceptable criteria to be shared here. Obviously in order to do this the content shared with our channel must be your own. Videos from YT channels without the permission of it’s owner's are not allowed. Anyone sharing their content with us has full control of it. We will not alter the content in any way and it can be pulled at the owner’s discretion at any time. This channel was specifically created for our members.

The advantages to letting us upload them here is significant in that every new video is now showcased at the top of every page for the entire forum to easily access. This increases it’s exposure as opposed to getting buried a single page in some random thread.

While this isn’t ideal it’s unfortunately the reality of how things need to work for the time being and the foreseeable future to protect this forum.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #19
dao2
Cyclops

1) While I can see that happening I didn't really it see it happen much myself. But assuming it did was it so prevelant a few bans wouldn't solve the issue?

2) That's nice that you let us upload them but as you said that is not ideal. Also those rules you mentioned are very different then the reviews section of the forum.

"The reviews created for this section are the property of statueforum.com alone. They cannot be posted, duplicated or used anywhere else besides the authorized platforms (The review section and the official YouTube channel). The purpose of our reviews is to promote our site, our social network and our partners"

I realize that's for the reviews section and as such is a little different then just a normal video but do you differentiate between just a review someone wants to post anywhere and one under that section?

Also still not ideal but something like the youtube uploader script for googledrive would probably make it easier for both users and mods to get videos uploaded, though I think most wouldn't go through the effort anyway. I wouldn't :|

I can understand the concerns but I am surprised to hear them as I've never heard that as an issue or liability for any forum (statue or otherwise), nothing of the sort other then complying with DMCA takedown requests (not the same since it was for digital media but v0v). And even then it's only been for stuff posted on the forum directly, I've never seen concern expressed for something being shared on a forum where the account may share other unlicensed or illegal information. You're right that it's insane to expect mods to check every person's account out, why is that a condition though? Are advertisers forcing this on SF or something? I can't imagine it being an actual legal requirement :|

And finally, I know you say it's not a ban but really, who is going to do this? I just checked the SF youtube channel, the only videos I see on there are the review videos from the review section. This way feels like it's effectively a ban :|
Old 07-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #20
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Wait a minute we're not supposed to post youtube links?

Whoops.

Yeah, it was news to me recently also. Have to say it seems like a silly rule to me, Youtube can be a great asset. Might be better just to control those abusing it (however it was being abused?) Rather than outright banning it and punishing everybody.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote