Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #811
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Swampy is vinyl. His base is polyresin.
My point being even though the body is PVC, Sideshow has Swamp Thing listed as "Resin." Same with Magneto which is listed as "Resin." And I'm positive Magneto is not vinyl.

So don't go by what Sideshow has listed for the material.
Polystone, polyresin, resin, vinyl...I doubt even Sideshow knows completely what the differences are.
darren1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #812
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
My point being even though the body is PVC, Sideshow has Swamp Thing listed as "Resin." Same with Magneto which is listed as "Resin." And I'm positive Magneto is not vinyl.

So don't go by what Sideshow has listed for the material.
Polystone, polyresin, resin, vinyl...I doubt even Sideshow knows completely what the differences are.
I was just noting that with Swampy they are specific about which material is used where. Polyresin for base, vinyl for body, PVC for some appendages.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #813
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
I was just noting that with Swampy they are specific about which material is used where. Polyresin for base, vinyl for body, PVC for some appendages.
That may be true in the description but it wasn't what we were discussing. ukshaun noted that Catwoman was "polyresin" based on this page and was worried that it was an inferior material:

As for Swamp Thing he is listed as "Resin" in the overview. I know there is an accurate overview of the construction in the item description but Catwoman doesn't have that. And I agree the materials in the item description would be very accurate compared to that "Material" section on the product listing.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:06 AM   #814
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

Was that even resin for Swamp Thing, I would rather say it is some kind of PVC.
Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:07 AM   #815
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Yet Rogue is light as hell, in a crazy pose and polystone.
Magneto is "Resin" which is the same as Swamp Thing (I have Magneto and he is not light or PVC like).

I’ll say it again...there is no consistency in the descriptions and you guys are looking too hard into this.
The Rogue crazy pose is supported by a large metal rod design that attaches to her metal right arm. The rest of the piece (including left arm) appears to be hard Polystone, including the hair which has the usual signs of Polystone graining (a small section of hair at the front is made from a flexible material (PVC?).

X-23 has a large leg peg that attaches to the base. Given the softness of Polyresin (compared to Polystone) i'm assuming this was the reason X-23 is made from Polyresin, as Polyresin is possibly less brittle. Looking at her hair, it's smooth, Polyresin smooth, with zero signs of graining associated with Polystone.

The plus side of Polyresin includes no graining, and possibly strength. The plus side of Polystone includes, the piece has a higher quality vibe going on.

XM Studio's use something called cold cast porcelain. I have one XM piece in my possession, Ms Marvel, and it has the weight and quality feel of Polystone, and he smoothness (no graining) of Polyresin. It feels and looks like a super quality piece. I wonder why Sideshow don't use this material?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:17 AM   #816
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by equi-nox76 View Post
Was that even resin for Swamp Thing, I would rather say it is some kind of PVC.
Chris
As noted above, Swampy was vinyl. Some of his appendages were PVC. Only his base was polyresin.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:03 AM   #817
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
The Rogue crazy pose is supported by a large metal rod design that attaches to her metal right arm. The rest of the piece (including left arm) appears to be hard Polystone, including the hair which has the usual signs of Polystone graining (a small section of hair at the front is made from a flexible material (PVC?).

X-23 has a large leg peg that attaches to the base. Given the softness of Polyresin (compared to Polystone) i'm assuming this was the reason X-23 is made from Polyresin, as Polyresin is possibly less brittle. Looking at her hair, it's smooth, Polyresin smooth, with zero signs of graining associated with Polystone.

The plus side of Polyresin includes no graining, and possibly strength. The plus side of Polystone includes, the piece has a higher quality vibe going on.

XM Studio's use something called cold cast porcelain. I have one XM piece in my possession, Ms Marvel, and it has the weight and quality feel of Polystone, and he smoothness (no graining) of Polyresin. It feels and looks like a super quality piece. I wonder why Sideshow don't use this material?
I’ve no idea man. Based on your descriptions I’d vote for polyresin each time. I don’t need that “valuable” feel to my statues as long as they display well and are sturdy.

I had a break in the hair of my Rogue EX piece. If polyresin would’ve prevented that while looking exactly the same that would be my pick.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #818
ukshaun
Hercules

When Catwoman arrives, i've been thinking about displaying the piece on the wall sitting on a pair of metal wall brackets (on a piece of wood attached to a pair of metal wall brackets).

Having re_sized the image of the bracket(s) and an image of the Catwoman base, it looks like:

Description:
Shelf Support Bracket Heavy Duty High Load Wall Bracket
No mention of maximum load.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #819
nearmint
Phoenix

Amazing that the width on this statue is only 6".
Old 08-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #820
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Amazing that the width on this statue is only 6".
I'm assuming the box will be quite small. I hope so, as it helps reduce the import charge, strangely enough.

On a side-note..
I was thinking about setting up a YouTube channel called Catman Statue Collector (very much inspired by Batman Statute Collector).

Out of curiosity i Google'd *Catman*
..and sure enough, there is character from DC called Catman. Well i never (knew that).

Catman (Thomas Reese Blake) is a fictional character in comic books published by
DC Comics who was initially one of the more colourful and camp supervillains
to join Batman’s growing roster of enemies in the mid-1960s.
- Wiki

On second thoughts!