Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 AM   #121
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

All I see are a bunch man child trying to justify spending close to 4 figures on some mass produced statues

Everyone I know calls them toys, and I agree - I’m under no illusions..

Collectibles indicate they are very limited, highly sought after, and will generally hold or increase in value. None are true anymore.

They are no different than toy figures from target, only difference is they cost 10-20x more.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:45 AM   #122
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

This thread is madness...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 AM   #123
slow17motion
The Spirit

Then why are you here?

Toys--actual toys--are meant to be PLAYED with. Or, at the very least, there's some articulation. Statues are not toys. They're actually ART. They're used to improve the look of people's living spaces.

I enjoy the entire process. I like building furniture, figuring out lighting, displaying these beautiful pieces, and then living among things that remind me of my childhood. Also, I appreciate the male form. Superheroes are typically the embodiment of physical perfection. It's enjoyable to see Daniel Bel's art, which perfectly captures the male form, sitting in a beautiful cabinet lit up or underneath a spotlight.

Museums that display fine art could just be called buildings with pictures in them. But that's condescending and intellectually untrue.

These are NOT toys. And even if they WERE (like Hot Toys), there can still be beauty in things like that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
All I see are a bunch man child trying to justify spending close to 4 figures on some mass produced statues

Collectibles indicate they are very limited, highly sought after, and will generally hold or increase in value. None are true anymore.

They are no different than toy figures from target, only difference is they cost 10-20x more.
slow17motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:12 AM   #124
Darkest Knight
Blue Falcon

Quote:

Darkest Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:41 AM   #125
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:

I must agree now. Before no not much. Now definitely yes. Prices will slowly creep higher again this year on the hot characters. Probably adding 25.00-85.00 to slowly ease people into it to avoid a sticker shock. Shipping goes up every year plus now taxes. Crazy how a pf could be near 900-1000.00 going forward. Maquettes which is Pf’s will soon be a good excuse to charge near 2000.00 each in due time. I already stopped collecting a year ago and sold off most of my collection. I will get maybe 1 -2 per year if it’s superior sculpt and a character I must want so bad the best of the best only imo.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #126
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:

I find your lack of logic and sense disturbing.

Toys are made for play. Statues aren't. If you want to talk about how they're overpriced then go for it, but comparing them to cheaply made and truly mass produced action figures is obviously ridiculous.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #127
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
I find your lack of logic and sense disturbing.

Toys are made for play. Statues aren't. If you want to talk about how they're overpriced then go for it, but comparing them to cheaply made and truly mass produced action figures is obviously ridiculous.
Don’t bother answering him. He’s just proof that reasoned argument and provocation don’t necessarily go hand in hand.
I buy, as I’m sure many people do here, things I want to have with me, whether it’s a chair, a car, a statue, a vase, or even a coffee pot.
I don’t give a damn about the aftermarket. And taxes.
When I can no longer buy, it's simple, I will stop.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #128
Peedi
The Secret Six

I would’ve saved between $40-$66 per statue if I would’ve preordered some things off my list last year. Not a lot of money per statue but it adds up so I can see why people would be upset.

I relate this to an old job I used to have...there was a refrigerator and microwave in the back area. Eventually they were removed and people were upset. The response from higher up was “they were never supposed to be here in the first place, not having them is normal”. The general response to that was “you took away something we always had so for us having them was our normal, of course there’s a reaction while we get used to not having it.” And eventually the hoopla died down once people made other arrangements (bringing prepped food... and a few tactics to cheat time for the inconvenience, lol)
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #129
FeistyMidget
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm sorry for starting the toy vs art debate by being one of the people who initially referred to these as toys. To me, you can call them both art and toys. I don't necessarily see these things in one bucket vs the other. I don't draw that distinction at statue vs action figure. Some statues are more toy than art, some figures are more art than toy (e.g. a ThreeA transformers vs a Marvel Gallery Statue). Hot Toys and statues fit under the same category for me - I just display them and look at them. Once in a blue moon I'll change up the pose on a Hot Toys or swap out a piece on a statue.

What someone else wants to call things doesn't bother me. Things have different meanings for different people. But I sometimes enjoy the discussion/debate so I'll add one dig in here, and this applies to me as well - how often do we see art displayed on metal garage shelving units outside of our hobby?
FeistyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #130
chronos1919
Nightwing

Things may have different meanings for different people but no one with a firm grasp of the English language would call these toys. It's nonsensical. I think it stems from embarrassment some people feel for collecting items like this. To many people it would be seen as a strange hobby and waste of money. So some collectors try to make themselves feel better through self-depreciation of their own interests. Basically, insulting yourself to diminish the impact of someone else insulting you.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote