Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 02-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #291
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
It's odd that the person in the unboxing video commented on how snug and secure his wings were- both sets- yet aa's were distressingly loose.
Usually the factory matches up the parts that fit properly for each statue and keeps those identified together for final packaging.

Not having looked at it yet, I would be surprised if IS didn't engineer the wing & keys to let gravity do part of the job in keeping them in place- like having a downward angle for the keys so they are less likely to slip out. Or even having the peg at a slightly oblique angle out of the key so that the whole attatchment acts like a curved hook to really lock it in place.

Then again, I can't believe they chose to make the wings out of resin and not PVC.

aa909's experience reminds me a little of the Wolverine LSF I had briefly. Mine arrived with QC issues that I expected to degrade over time. They couldn't just ship me a replacement part- it would have had to have been a whole new statue.
I loved the statue- it fully blew me away- but I'd spent over $2K on it, and was in no mood to settle for something that had issues right out-of-the-box. It was a major PITA re-packing and then lugging it back to UPS to ship back as it was housed in one big box that was very close to the size of these two Hawkman boxes put together. It barely fit in the back of my Rav.

Once it was returned I breathed easier and was more than a little relieved to have that money back in pocket. I seriously loved the piece while I had it, and did want to order a replacement at some point (they were made to order in batches so I couldn't just return it and get a replacement then and there). However the money went immediately to other bills or assorted pursuits, and I never did get around to replacing it.

It was far and away my favorite statue when I had it, but I was certain at the time I'd made the right choice. However in the years since I've kind of regretted not having immediately replaced it instead of giving it up completely. Despite having been fortunate enough to get a few very cool pieces since then, there is still nothing else that has come close to having the kind of presence that had. Hawkman might be the first that does come close. We'll see.

It sounds like aa's might have been more of an impulse buy, but in any case I know the sense of relief he'll feel when the matter is finally closed and he's freed up to move on to other things.

Hey dude, you seem like a nice guy but your post comes across as somewhat flippant. I own >70 statues (1/4 and 1/3) and I've shared my experience regarding this statue to help inform others. The truth is this hobby has inherent ups and downs. For every 5 perfect statues I've received there's 1 that arrives with QC issues. However this Hawkman was amongst the worst I've seen as noted above in my detailed post.

I hope your statue is perfect, and I may revisit this piece in the future if the issues I've noted are isolated and/or resolved. Good Luck to you
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #292
pdenham
Teen Titans

Apologies if it came across that way.

I just had the impression that you burned really hot for it all of a sudden, but then cooled on it just as quick. I went back and reread the posts and I see that's probably simply the result of the immediate letdown from the QC issues.

Probably should stop before I dig the hole any deeper though.
I'm glad they aren't giving you a hassle about the return.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #293
aa909
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Apologies if it came across that way.

I just had the impression that you burned really hot for it all of a sudden, but then cooled on it just as quick. I went back and reread the posts and I see that's probably simply the result of the immediate letdown from the QC issues.

Probably should stop before I dig the hole any deeper though.
I'm glad they aren't giving you a hassle about the return.

If you've been in this hobby long enough you know that poor QC will very much effect your appreciation for a piece. You seem particularly troubled that I returned this for a refund instead of asking for a replacement, am I right? If that's the case let me try to explain further.

As I stated earlier I own a lot of statues and from what I saw on this piece I don't think the key/peg design for the wings will survive continuous change outs over time between the open and closed wings. Given that mine arrived with one key hole already failed I didn't want a replacement of the dual wing setup. This failure probably happened at the factory when they test fitted the two sets of wings.

However if you only have one set of wings, you're likely not disassembling it other than to move it, which is a very rare occurrence. Therefore if other owners do not report the same issue as mine I will revisit buying this in the future but only with a single set of wings. Hope this helps and don't let my experience diminish your enjoyment of your statue!!
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:10 AM   #294
Biggunz
Loki

Like the transitions doubleAA sorry you got a lemon
Hopefully it’s not the same for all though. Only time will tell
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #295
ambasah
Red Skull

I held my breath as I opened up my boxes (got both wing version). To my relief, nothing broken and everything fits perfect. holy moley he is impressive. to my surprise, I think I like the closed wings more.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #296
dr_vasanth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hawkman (Open & Closed Wings) Statue by Iron Studios Prime Scale 1:3 statue

Mine arrived broken too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200213_214918.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	128553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200213_214925.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	128554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200213_214931.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	128555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200213_220624.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	128556  
dr_vasanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #297
dr_vasanth

Open Wings fit just fine and gives the statue a majestic look. The right closed wing is wiggly and the left won't even fit!!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #298
built2shred
Phoenix

You got the limited edition battle damage one...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:58 AM   #299
dr_vasanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
You got the limited edition battle damage one...
I would laugh heartily if I weren't so..o.. bummed about it. Not only do I now have to coordinate a return and hope that there won't be any hassles from the Seller about that, I also have to hold my breath and see if I get a good one in return. I REALLY do like this statue and so if I can't get a replacement, that would disappoint me too..
Old 02-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #300
Branchead33
Doh!

So I bought mine from sideshow. Everything came in except I had ordered the open/closed version and recieved an open version only. It also had it on the bottom of the base that it was the open version. They are going to send new closed wings but it still won't be the legit open closed piece. What do you guys think? Return base for an open/closed or just accept the new wings and move on.
Branchead33 is offline   Reply With Quote