Statue Forum 





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

» Spotlight
DGK Prime 1 Berserk Guts Exclusive DGK HX Project Avengers Captain America DGK Prime 1 Guyver 3 Comic Soon:
Clay Moore - Inside Stories
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #571
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator
 
wktf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver Area, between Asgard and Krypton
Posts: 20,619
Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1

Iíve just finished rereading Lee/Ditkoís Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus vol 1.

I havenít read this since it first was published, around 2007. So, itís been 12 years. Iíve dug back into my library and have committed myself to all my HCs and TPBs in addition to my non-comic books reading. Iíve read the first 10 FF Marvel Masterworks (Lee/Kirby) and the first 18 Thor Marvel Masterworks and, as groundbreaking and truly awesome as these were, they barely hold a candle to this collected Spider-Man run. The sheer joy, fun, engaging stories/plots/characters just made me desperate to pick this up after putting it down to resume my life. Itís no wonder Spider-Man stole the title of flagship character and book from The Fantastic Four. Just an amazing, spectacular (yes, I know you saw what I did there!) collection of stories and single, contained read!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #572
The Dark Knight
What's another word for Thesaurus?
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Antalya/Turkey
Posts: 2,302
Everyone praises how good the Lee&Ditko run... I will take a look at it. My favorite is Silver Surfer by Lee&Buscema, it was good. Too bad today's comics is not that good... idiot DC especially rolls in crap...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #573
ParisDean
Loki
 
ParisDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I’ve just finished rereading Lee/Ditko’s Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus vol 1.

I haven’t read this since it first was published, around 2007. So, it’s been 12 years. I’ve dug back into my library and have committed myself to all my HCs and TPBs in addition to my non-comic books reading. I’ve read the first 10 FF Marvel Masterworks (Lee/Kirby) and the first 18 Thor Marvel Masterworks and, as groundbreaking and truly awesome as these were, they barely hold a candle to this collected Spider-Man run. The sheer joy, fun, engaging stories/plots/characters just made me desperate to pick this up after putting it down to resume my life. It’s no wonder Spider-Man stole the title of flagship character and book from The Fantastic Four. Just an amazing, spectacular (yes, I know you saw what I did there!) collection of stories and single, contained read!
This post made me realize that I don't own any Spider-Man hardcovers/collections. I have many Spider-Man comics, having bought Amazing Spider-Man semi-regularly from the black costume first appearance to the end of Straczynski's run. But after I get rid of my comics in the next few years, if I want to read a Spider-Man story, I won't have any. Although I'm not a big fan of Ditko's quirky style (I much prefer Kirby), I may consider this one.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #574
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator
 
wktf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver Area, between Asgard and Krypton
Posts: 20,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This post made me realize that I don't own any Spider-Man hardcovers/collections. I have many Spider-Man comics, having bought Amazing Spider-Man semi-regularly from the black costume first appearance to the end of Straczynski's run. But after I get rid of my comics in the next few years, if I want to read a Spider-Man story, I won't have any. Although I'm not a big fan of Ditko's quirky style (I much prefer Kirby), I may consider this one.
Kirby is my favorite artist as well, but he’s not well suited to Spider-Man. This Lee/Ditko run is truly magical and still fun to read, even with its being nearly 60 years old.

Last edited by wktf; 02-13-2020 at 08:32 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #575
risingstar
Jedi Order
 
risingstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Habs Nation
Posts: 27,622
I just finished reading the first two TPBs of The Immortal Hulk (i.e., issues 1-10). While the premise had promise (i.e., presenting the Hulk in a more horror type setting), overall I wasn't as captivated as I had hoped. However, to be fair, it did have some clever and original moments and the artwork was fabulous. Alas, in the end, the stories weren't particularly memorable to me. Perhaps it gets better in later issues as the potential is there for interesting horror. 7/10
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #576
Asgard
The Avengers
 
Asgard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 659
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions. On the road i saw a pale man, an he smiled at me .."

Harleen !!!

I just finished the first chapter and i am really excited.
The drawings are great too. Especially the representation of Batman vs Joker in the smoke. You can only see their shadows.
Love it.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #577
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator
 
wktf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver Area, between Asgard and Krypton
Posts: 20,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I just finished reading the first two TPBs of The Immortal Hulk (i.e., issues 1-10). While the premise had promise (i.e., presenting the Hulk in a more horror type setting), overall I wasn't as captivated as I had hoped. However, to be fair, it did have some clever and original moments and the artwork was fabulous. Alas, in the end, the stories weren't particularly memorable to me. Perhaps it gets better in later issues as the potential is there for interesting horror. 7/10
I felt the same way after reading the first oversized HC. Not terrible but not great either. Wouldnít recommend it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #578
ParisDean
Loki
 
ParisDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I just finished reading the first two TPBs of The Immortal Hulk (i.e., issues 1-10). While the premise had promise (i.e., presenting the Hulk in a more horror type setting), overall I wasn't as captivated as I had hoped. However, to be fair, it did have some clever and original moments and the artwork was fabulous. Alas, in the end, the stories weren't particularly memorable to me. Perhaps it gets better in later issues as the potential is there for interesting horror. 7/10
I'll wait for an omnibus collection to be released in the future and make a decision then. I've only flipped through some issues at my comic shop and like you said, the art is fabulous. Sales have been consistently strong from what I remember (even outselling Batman at one point which was documented on this forum) so this title clearly has a lot of appeal.

The Peter David omnibus remains my first choice for a Hulk collection, however.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #579
The Dark Knight
What's another word for Thesaurus?
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Antalya/Turkey
Posts: 2,302
My Hero Academia, vol. 1-3 6/10

It was awarage so far. in a world where 80% of population was super powered, our protogenist Midoriya is in 20%... He had no powers, and he wanted to be the greatest superhero ever. Someday with some luck, he met All Might, the greatest super hero ever. All Might got imperesed by this young boy, and passed down him his power called one for all.

Midoriya Joined to the UA, the hero academia and he was learning to use his power. He needed to learn that to not the expelled from the UA as an useless person. There were turnaments constantly... that was kind of boring. One turnemant ended and the other started and so on... Villains were not that great... That's a big point lost for me... If it had a villain at the scale of Joker, Darkseid, Dr. Doom, Magneto... I wouldn't be dissapointed as much... But it's ok to read once in while...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #580
Peedi
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
 
Peedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In the sky
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
My Hero Academia, vol. 1-3 6/10

It was awarage so far. in a world where 80% of population was super powered, our protogenist Midoriya is in 20%... He had no powers, and he wanted to be the greatest superhero ever. Someday with some luck, he met All Might, the greatest super hero ever. All Might got imperesed by this young boy, and passed down him his power called one for all.

Midoriya Joined to the UA, the hero academia and he was learning to use his power. He needed to learn that to not the expelled from the UA as an useless person. There were turnaments constantly... that was kind of boring. One turnemant ended and the other started and so on... Villains were not that great... That's a big point lost for me... If it had a villain at the scale of Joker, Darkseid, Dr. Doom, Magneto... I wouldn't be dissapointed as much... But it's ok to read once in while...
I wonder how different it is from the show if at all? Iíve only watched the show.

For the show anyway, itís anime, tournaments are just what they do...any and every Dragonball, Black Clover, Naruto, Pokťmon, etc...itís a pretty standard plot line in Japanese entertainment. Look at fighting games, theyíre all tournaments. Itís just what they do.
Peedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com