Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #26721
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
The Long Riders (1980) 7/10. Probably my favorite Jesse James movie. Can’t believe it’s 40 years old. I probably hadn’t seen it in 20 years.

I vividly remember that 'set up' at the end, 'Snyder style' lol

If I remember correctly the band is portrayed by brothers of at least two families of actors in real life.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #26722
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Killer Clowns from Outer Space - There are 2 things that made me want to watch this movie: late 80's cheese at its absolute finest, and potential for hilarious death scenes (which didnt dissapoint - cotton candy coccoons, death by shadow puppets, melted into cream pies, just to name a few and the kill count was enormous) This movie definitely wont appeal to most people that is for sure, but if this is something you're into, I donk think you'll be dissapointed. It managed to be both fun and freaky, with some hilarious music and sets, very odd but in a highly entertaining way. DO NOT watch if you have a fear of clowns, you wont sleep for months - 6.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #26723
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post

I vividly remember that 'set up' at the end, 'Snyder style' lol

If I remember correctly the band is portrayed by brothers of at least two families of actors in real life.
Yeah, I always loved that movie, especially the cool aspect of having multiple actor/brothers in the roles. There ere at least four sets of brothers... Carradine (3), Keach, Quaid and Guest. The director, Walter Hill, has also long been one of my favorites (48 Hrs., The Driver, The Warriors, Southern Comfort, Streets of Fire, Trespass, Bullet in the Head, Extreme Prejudice, and so on) and excels in the action-adventure genre.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #26724
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Yeah, I always loved that movie, especially the cool aspect of having multiple actor/brothers in the roles. There ere at least four sets of brothers... Carradine (3), Keach, Quaid and Guest. The director, Walter Hill, has also long been one of my favorites (48 Hrs., The Driver, The Warriors, Southern Comfort, Streets of Fire, Trespass, Bullet in the Head, Extreme Prejudice, and so on) and excels in the action-adventure genre.
Love Streets of Fire, I should have included that one in my "underrated" list in the other thread
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #26725
SONICobra
Batman

the crow - 7/10

i had never seen this before but was always curious about it. definitely a product of the 90's which is a good and bad thing. for me it was very nostalgic of the kind of movies i watched as a kid and had a lot of "MTV aesthetic" i associate so much with my middle school / high school days. it had some really good bones though, if this movie was made today i think it could be outstanding. not saying a remake would be good, but THIS movie made today. while i found it overall enjoyable, my girfriend who was born in '91 and doesnt have the same appreciation for 90's goodness as i do was rolling her eyes and chuckling quite a bit
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #26726
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Wuthering Heights (2011) - A poor boy of unknown origins is rescued from poverty and taken in by the Earnshaw family where he develops an intense relationship with his young foster sister, Cathy.

While it's filmed exquisitely, I felt little sympathy for the adult versions of the characters who weren't very likable. I've seen the 1939 film as well, but my favorite adaptation of Emily Brontë's novel remains the Kate Bush song. 6/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #26727
ukshaun
Hercules

Parasite (2019)
7.5/10

On the surface Parasite offers a well made film with a slightly old school level of goofy shenanigans set around class, status. As a result i felt slightly disappointed, as i had preconceived ideas i was in for something completely original, with an earth shaking twist. The camera work, acting is of a high standard.

After watching Parasite, i jumped on YouTube for a more in depth view. Sure enough, the film has a deeper level of meaning, some of which i had picked up on, and some of which i would never have picked up on. Taking this into account, i still was not as impressed as i wanted to be.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #26728
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I watched the star wars sequel trilogy back to back this weekend for the first time, I wanted to see if my opinions changed watching the trilogy as a whole and they did a bit

The Force Awakens - This is my least favorite Star Wars movie. This movie set the groundwork for the rest of the sequel trilogy (no Han, Luke and Leia together from the get go, the 'map' to Luke non-sense, no Jacen/Jaina/MaraJade/Thrawn, boring new characters, no world building whatsoever, uninteresting new planets, unoriginality everywhere etc) I dont think there was any saving of the sequel trilogy after this movie started it all off so badly. Its also terribly, terribly boring, and the rehash of the death star was really lame. Everything just seemed way too easy, ANH had build up to the death star plans being needed to take out the death star, it felt like a genuine struggle. In TFA its a 30 second conversation to make a "plan" and then starkiller base is sabotaged by simply walking inside and asking Phasma to shut down the shields, give me a break - 6/10

The Last Jedi - I've been warming up to this movie in some ways, its definitely the most thought provoking and interesting of the new trilogy. I've accepted what they did with Luke, and a lot of the stuff he said, while unpopular with fans, was not wrong, and he gave Rey some really great lessons whether he wanted to or not. The sub plot with Rose and Finn was underwhelming, and ultimately lead to a bunch of Resistance fighters being killed, but it added to the overall theme of the movie which to me was failure and learning from failure (as Yoda said in the movie) Finn and Rose failed with the code breaker, Poe failed by not trusting Holdo, Luke failed by thinking Kylo's decision to turn to the dark side was certain, the Jedi failed in stopping the rise of Palps etc) I can appreciate the decision to take out the 'masters' aka Luke and Snoke, this shook things up and avoided another story retread like in TFA, and I do feel like Luke pulled through in the end by sacrificing himself to give his sister and the Resistance a chance to rebuild and fight another day, without that the war would have been over right there. I also really like the use of the color red throughout the movie, the throne room scene with Kylo and Rey is still probably the best saber fight in the new trilogy (I know that isn't saying much though) - 7/10

Rise of Skywalker - The thing I like most about this movie is also my biggest gripe, the return of Palpatine. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him back and it felt like a true EU story, and he looked awesome and ghoulish, but the thing that prevents me from getting fully on board is the fact that he was just tossed in there at the last minute to do damage control and he was not originally part of the plan. If he was always meant to be the big bad everything would have jived nicely, but its clear that wasn't the case as there are so many contradictions and loose ends with Palpatine being back, even within their own 3 movie trilogy, which never would happen if these movies were planned out from day one - 7/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #26729
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Good assessment of the SW sequel trilogy. Echoes my feelings as well. Every point you made I agree with. I prefer the OT and the PT but I still enjoyed a lot of what the ST had to offer. I just wish it had a more cohesive well thought out narrative with better characters, more world building and advancement of ideas.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #26730
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Star Wars.....is that the one with the little wizard boy?
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote