Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #2131
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
This guy's Youtube tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btp2...index=6&t=565s) is good for "19", 29" and 39" Paxes. I did it for 19" and 39". For the 39", and possibly the 29" too, the acrylic might be too heavy for the Hafele hinges (that the Youtube guy recommended) used to close completely so what I did was apply three magnets to the other end of the acrylic and on the Pax (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to keep it shut. For the magnets, there's a strong side and a weak side. The weak side is already enough with 3. The strong side is too much and causes too much separation friction each time. The 19" acrylic should close by itself pretty well with the Hafele hinges.

I gotta say, it's not cheap to do it this way. The acrylic sheet alone will be $100-150 and the bigger sheets are difficult to transport in sedans. The hinges were $30-35 each. Then you need some power tools to drill through the acrylic itself and wood. I also got a rotary grinder for cutting the metal uprights for reinforcing the Pax Komplement shelves. But in the end, still less expensive than Moducase lol. And those are a pain to assemble too and apparently take forever to arrive.

Is there a more Cost effective way to get storage for 1/3 scale and up?. Bestas have good door options but are too small.

I might go with the sliding door option It seems quite a bit easier. They sell a sliding door frame that has acrylic in there I am contemplating If I can put tempered glass in there instead of acrylic the link below is what I am referring too I would just not use the horizontal bars which go across the Pax window frame.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/pax-pai...nium-00222421/
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #2132
Ljaat
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo84 View Post
What size were your paxs? Have they got hinged doors? Is it a single piece of acrylic for each door?.

The one on the left they are two pax's right? I notice three separate handles on each on the acrylic doors. Is that 3 doors for each Pax?
All of my PAX units are the 29 1/2 x 22 7/8 x 92 7/8, the narrower of the 2 widths available.

Yes, there are 2 units on the left in that pic, each with one piece of acrylic. Those are hinges on the left hand side of both, not door handles. I have handles, I just haven't decided if I want to put them on or not yet.

I agree with Bubsy 100%. While this isn't cheap, it's a lot cheaper than moducases / pedestals. I also didn't want to wait the yr or so I'd have to wait for the moducases.

Acrylic for me (as I was buying during a pandemic where everyone wanted it) was close to 2k alone. That was for 10 sheets (7 pax size, 3 besta size, and a bulk discount lol). I also had to rent a uhaul van to transport them.
The Hafele hinges I find hold well in the 29", just make sure you use the right screws. In that YT vid he uses the wrong screws for wood. He also uses a larger bit size for drilling into the pax which I found didn't work on the first one I did. I got them on sale for $30 (I think?), and needed 27 of them.

If I was going with the 39" width, I probably would have gone with the track frame. I just like the 29" as I can fit more of them in my display room and still put 2 statues on a shelf. I never put more than that to keep it more museum like, hence why I needed so many PAX units.

It's been a fun project, but a lot more work (and money) than I thought it would be originally.
Ljaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #2133
Ljaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I just finished putting together my first PAX. It's the 30" wide version, not the larger 39" wide version. I was a little surprised that the shelf peg supports are plastic. Yes they screw into the PAX walls, and there are six per shelf. But still... they are plastic. I guess I was surprised since I just finished installing Billy and Besta units, both of which have solid metal shelf supports.

Any concerns with this? TBH I've never read of PAX shelf failure. Bowing, yes, but not failure. Just wanted some second opinions on this. Thanks.

Oh, one other question... anyone use RTV/caulk to hide that unsightly fold line in the middle of the back board? Other suggestions?
I switched out all of the plastic pegs for metal ones that hold more weight. I didn't want to take the chance of it at all. With them rated at 275lbs (and with the metal bracket I have in back), I have no worry about 100lbs on a shelf. Statues are only getting heavier now days.

https://www.homedecorhardware.com/hf-282-24-720.html

As far as the middle line, I painted mine white to match. In a few of the cabs it does a good job, and others it doesn't. I'm not totally happy with it, and have been thinking about trying this out..

https://safemend.com/pages/safemend
Old 03-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #2134
Bubsy

Quote:
Is there a more Cost effective way to get storage for 1/3 scale and up?. Bestas have good door options but are too small.
I suppose the 78” double Pax works. I didn’t really have space for a Pax that wide. I’m not sure if not having the horizontal bars would destabilize the acrylic.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:02 AM   #2135
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:

I might go with the sliding door option It seems quite a bit easier. They sell a sliding door frame that has acrylic in there I am contemplating If I can put tempered glass in there instead of acrylic the link below is what I am referring too I would just not use the horizontal bars which go across the Pax window frame.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/pax-pai...nium-00222421/
The only reason you couldn't use glass is the weight but these frames are very sturdy, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I just don't have any experience with using glass here, to say definitively. If you do decide to try the glass, please let us know how it works out. Fwiw with my setup on the PAX unit, I can fit 1/3 scale np. Unfortunately you lose a couple of shelves this way due to height restraints but it does look nice and would still give you room for about 8 1/3 pieces, give or take.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #2136
stevo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljaat View Post
All of my PAX units are the 29 1/2 x 22 7/8 x 92 7/8, the narrower of the 2 widths available.

Yes, there are 2 units on the left in that pic, each with one piece of acrylic. Those are hinges on the left hand side of both, not door handles. I have handles, I just haven't decided if I want to put them on or not yet.

I agree with Bubsy 100%. While this isn't cheap, it's a lot cheaper than moducases / pedestals. I also didn't want to wait the yr or so I'd have to wait for the moducases.

Acrylic for me (as I was buying during a pandemic where everyone wanted it) was close to 2k alone. That was for 10 sheets (7 pax size, 3 besta size, and a bulk discount lol). I also had to rent a uhaul van to transport them.
The Hafele hinges I find hold well in the 29", just make sure you use the right screws. In that YT vid he uses the wrong screws for wood. He also uses a larger bit size for drilling into the pax which I found didn't work on the first one I did. I got them on sale for $30 (I think?), and needed 27 of them.

If I was going with the 39" width, I probably would have gone with the track frame. I just like the 29" as I can fit more of them in my display room and still put 2 statues on a shelf. I never put more than that to keep it more museum like, hence why I needed so many PAX units.

It's been a fun project, but a lot more work (and money) than I thought it would be originally.
I understand now Thanks for the help

Quote:
I switched out all of the plastic pegs for metal ones that hold more weight. I didn't want to take the chance of it at all. With them rated at 275lbs (and with the metal bracket I have in back), I have no worry about 100lbs on a shelf. Statues are only getting heavier now days.

https://www.homedecorhardware.com/hf-282-24-720.html

As far as the middle line, I painted mine white to match. In a few of the cabs it does a good job, and others it doesn't. I'm not totally happy with it, and have been thinking about trying this out..

https://safemend.com/pages/safemend
The brackets did you have to drill new holes for these shelf supports or did they fit the holes already in there? Also the bar in the back where did you get this from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
I suppose the 78” double Pax works. I didn’t really have space for a Pax that wide. I’m not sure if not having the horizontal bars would destabilize the acrylic.
This seems like it might be my best option the door options seem the best I am still thinking all this over though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilledButton View Post
The only reason you couldn't use glass is the weight but these frames are very sturdy, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I just don't have any experience with using glass here, to say definitively. If you do decide to try the glass, please let us know how it works out. Fwiw with my setup on the PAX unit, I can fit 1/3 scale np. Unfortunately you lose a couple of shelves this way due to height restraints but it does look nice and would still give you room for about 8 1/3 pieces, give or take.
Yes, the reason I want to try this is the horizontal bars on the frames get in the way of the display for me it's what puts me off. The bestas have better door options but they won't be big enough for a 1/3 scale I have the 1/3 superman prime 1 coming next week and others later in the year so want to get it ready for then. I did contemplate a display case made of Acrylic for each statue but that's just too much in the long run.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 AM   #2137
Ljaat

Quote:
I understand now Thanks for the help

The brackets did you have to drill new holes for these shelf supports or did they fit the holes already in there? Also the bar in the back where did you get this from?
The link I have for the metal pegs fit into the holes already in the PAX units, no drilling needed.

The metal brackets in the back are from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0WHT/100003748
Old 03-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #2138
stevo84

Quote:
The link I have for the metal pegs fit into the holes already in the PAX units, no drilling needed.

The metal brackets in the back are from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0WHT/100003748
Thanks for the help.

I been looking at these too.

https://www.displaysense.co.uk/displ...et-800mm-p3804

https://www.morplan.com/gb_en/catalo...ategory/17069/

I am just not sure if they would be viable for this kind of thing. The first one has good weight tolerances for the shelves but the 2nd doesn't say.

I would love mine to be all glass as I have a few DETOLFS too.

I weren't too sure if these would be suitable for statues etc which is why I've been looking at PAX's lately.

Also the link you just showed me with the tracking bar. They run up the sides and the shelf brackets fit onto them? Or do they run under the shelf to add support?.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #2139
Ljaat

Neither, that bar will fit over the shelf and have enough tension to stay, just slides on and off. That way if I want to move a shelf, it's not attached in any way. It's solely there to give the shelf more support from sagging.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #2140
stevo84

Quote:
Neither, that bar will fit over the shelf and have enough tension to stay, just slides on and off. That way if I want to move a shelf, it's not attached in any way. It's solely there to give the shelf more support from sagging.
When you say over the shelf? Do you mean above it? Do you happen to have a pic of one of them fitted close up?