Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #151
Kessiah
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I don't want to fool anyone so I won't post any pictures for now. I don't have enough natural light to get a clean result.

Maybe you will have a different opinion than me. On my side, the painting of Rhino's body looks a bit cheap compared to the prototype.

Just a quick picture taken with the iPhone to show a detail that makes me cringe.

Seriously, XM ?

Kessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #152
Halcyon
New Republic

Sorry to hear paint didn't get full treatment.

Did they make the cab normal yellow instead of the yellow-orange it should?

The scuffmarks on the rubber tire is an eyesore, i would repaint the rubber black myself, if i where you. Even dirtsplatters can be done if you like those.

Anyhow, thx for sharing.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #153
Royalguard
The Avengers

Damn. That’s unfortunate. Especially the loss of detail on Rhino his self is a disservice.
Royalguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:28 PM   #154
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah that production paint job isn't looking so promising for us collectors.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:47 AM   #155
Kessiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Sorry to hear paint didn't get full treatment.

Did they make the cab normal yellow instead of the yellow-orange it should?

The scuffmarks on the rubber tire is an eyesore, i would repaint the rubber black myself, if i where you. Even dirtsplatters can be done if you like those.

Anyhow, thx for sharing.
No, sadly the cab is not yellow-orange like the official pictures or the prototype. It ends up more yellow, quite light yellow. A bit of green shading (???), but no orange there.

I will let you check the quality of the paint on the lower part of the base too, under the asphalt, we are far from what XM shown.

It gives me the impression of a "custom" quality, you know ? The kind of factory (with 3 letters in the name) that rush the production, with no one giving instructions about the paint and no artist there.

My opinion is that the multiplication of productions multiplies the number of factories, and that there are some excellent and others not so good. If you are lucky enough that the production of the statue you are waiting for is entrusted to the excellent factories, it's a treat, otherwise too bad for us.

Some people won't notice I guess, since there are 10 productions of this kind of quality coming out every day and people are raving about it, but it's not at the level of an XM piece. The weathering is poor. Put it next to a 600$ statue like the last Sideshow Deadpool (on his scooter). You'll see what a fine weathering means on a good level of paint detail for half the price.

I repeat, statue is OK, don't worry, sculpt is there, but with a paint level above, it would have been from an "OK" piece to something really great according to the price and the XM reputation.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:36 AM   #156
Kessiah

Anyway, quick pictures to enjoy. The cab looks orange here, a bit saturated by the camera I guess, but it's not the true tone.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:55 AM   #157
Royalguard
The Avengers

[QUOTE=Kessiah;6014043]Anyway, quick pictures to enjoy. The cab looks orange here, a bit saturated by the camera I guess, but it's not the true tone.

Thanks for the pics so I know kinda what I’m getting. I expected a bit of a drop in quality, which is what we got but still not too bad as I initially thought. Seems a bit of the detail was lost but all in all I still dig it!
Royalguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #158
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Definitely a drop from the proto but I suppose that?s to be expected. The sculpt is good and I think the portrait is great.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #159
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessiah View Post
Anyway, quick pictures to enjoy. The cab looks orange here, a bit saturated by the camera I guess, but it's not the true tone.

I'm not criticizing your opinion of this piece and obviously having it in hand (as you do) is different than seeing pics, but from what I'm seeing, I think it still looks great. Maybe the paint isn't as good as the proto or Art's pics - but I also think Art's outdoor lighting was different. Still, I hope over time, it grows on you. God knows, we probably won't see too many 1/4 scale Rhino pieces in the future.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #160
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Over time I think that this piece with be very sought after cause there won't be another Rhino made for 10 years. At least this one has some weight to it unlike the glorified paper weight Sideshow Rhino comiquette was.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote