Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #111
Dundee
Hydra

This movie will not age well, it'll get abandoned and tossed away into the forgotten. The feral pred moves too much like a human, and has zero pred elegance, his agility, reflex is slow and clumsy af. There's no pred vibe, he could be a random alien from a random movie. Hence prob why it's called prey, he doesn't deserve to be a predator.

Even Celtic showed quick reflexes shooting the net at grid followed by his quick half turn spin, before jumping in the pit of skulls landing with perfect control and poise.

The healing scene, feral pred shakes the can casually like a lazy mechanic, it hurts my eyes. That's how I shake my protein shake after a gym work out. This is a C grade movie, doesn't even pass for a guilty pleasure. I think people wanted this to be good (or at least not disappointing) so intentionally lowered there expectations to zero as to not get disappointed. The result? Hey this a pretty good pred movie, a 9/10! When the high comes off, at best, this is a 5/10.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #112
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
I think people wanted this to be good (or at least not disappointing) so intentionally lowered there expectations to zero as to not get disappointed. The result? Hey this a pretty good pred movie, a 9/10! When the high comes off, at best, this is a 5/10.
I blame The Predator for this, you can really only go up from there. My friend made a good comparison about this. If you were starving and hadn't eaten in a week, then came across a stale half eaten piece of bread, it would probably taste like the most amazing thing you ever ate.

Now that the novelty has worn off for me, I can't help but to think how much better this could have been if they took a few cues from Bone Tomahawk. The Troglodytes were more "predator" imo and felt like an actual threat, the gore was better, and although more Western heavy than Native American, it definitely blended that genre with horror better. Hell, you even had a group of likeable characters that you felt for when they died.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #113
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
He does the exact same thing in Predator (1987), they just don't show it. Arnold - "he's using the trees". He swings and jumps from them constantly. To catch up to and kill Hawkins. To kill Billy then get to Arnold so fast. You can be damn sure he was hopping and swinging like that.

You think that hopping looked silly? When you posted that the best scene from the franchise, being a 20-foot jump, twirl and (slowed down) reverse spear chuck into a Queen's head??

Huh? They frequently stop an attack based on new information about an enemy's condition. Not armed? Arnold - "No sport." "Noooooo!" kicks the gun comically out of Anna's hands, so she instantly goes from a threat, to not a threat. Predator 2 Leona is a threat until...suddenly her pregnancy is observed, and bam, not going to consider her a threat any longer.

Prey is the highest rated film in the franchise, both critically, and with audiences (not saying I agree, but...). Who are you trying to convince? The studio is probably regretting not showing it in theaters now.
i understand the trees are the Predator's life line in the jungle. The Predator's movement was really bad. I don't think it has to do with him being a Predator from south of the border, or a predator from 300 years earlier than we are used to. It was just a very poor job at capturing the kinetic behavior of the creature we adore. He moved like a viking, a barbarian i the film, which is why he felt like a LOTR villain or a monster from 300. Then to see him doing normal Predator things leaping from tree to tree like an agile weightless flying squirrel hammered home for me, they really got the kinetics of this character all wrong. They needed a Moni Yakim acting coach like they have for RoboCop. They needed someone to instruct this big oaf playing the predator on how he should move, it's clear they didn't.

that gif is amazing. literally 10X better any gif that will ever come from this overrated stale film.

in regards to Leona, total apples to oranges argument. while Leona was armed she never actively engaged with the Predator in the Subway massacre, which is a better scene than ANYTHING from this film, by a mile. The scene when the P2 identified she was pregnant it gave insight the lore, the background of that the character is, similar to the kid with the gun at the graveyard. This is an intelligent species. Naru engaged with the Predator with weapons on an offensive attack multiple times. Both times when the predator had a chance to take her out, he looked at her and hesitated, and identified her as a non-immediate thread....due to her being a female, not worth his time...reinforcing the theme that women get no respect Meanwhile Raphael Adolini when was on the ground with one leg, playing dead, when the Predator stepped on him and he screamed he was killed by the Predator with zero hesitation....why because he identified him as a immediate threat. Every character in the film didn't take Naru serious. No one saw her as an alpha, they didn't see her as a threat...and that's what makes her dangerous. GTFO.

This was a nicely packaged story of a woman that is held down by society and she rises up against all odds and accomplishes her dreams...in this case killing an intetgalatic hunter that easily killed every single living thing it came in contact with who all managed to be armed, able seasoned battle tested male hunters, trappers and trackers. let's think about this for a moment: They only survivors that crossed paths with the predator were a teenage female (commence) girl and her pet dog. It's actually a touching story

Dude, this movie has been out for 5 days, you can't possibly have the poster above your bed already. Anyone that rates this as the best Predator movie of all-time deserves to have their internet service suspended as they are spreading moronic information that is detrimental to society.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #114
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
This movie will not age well, it'll get abandoned and tossed away into the forgotten. feral pred moves too much like a human, and has zero pred elegance, his agility, reflex is slow and clumsy af. There's no pred vibe, he could be a random alien from a random movie. Hence prob why it's called prey, he doesn't deserve to be a predator.

Even Celtic showed quick reflexes shooting the net at grid followed by his quick half turn spin, before jumping in the pit of skulls landing with perfect control and poise.

The healing scene, feral pred shakes the can casually like a lazy mechanic, it hurts my eyes. That's how I shake my protein shake after a gym work out. This is a C grade movie, doesn't even pass for a guilty pleasure. I think people wanted this to be good (or at least not disappointing) so intentionally lowered there expectations to zero as to not get disappointed. The result? Hey this a pretty good pred movie, a 9/10! When the high comes off, at best, this is a 5/10.
you get it. that's exactly correct. perfectly said.

i think i'd give this an honest 4/10,
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #115
Augen
Metal Men

My Predator Films

Top Tier (Love)
Predator

Great Tier (Like)
Prey
Predator 2
Predators

Average Tier (Okay)
AvP
AvP: Requiem

Meh Tier (Dislike)
None

Awful Tier (Hate)
The Predator

==
We all have our tastes and desire, I think the series has had a lot of ups and downs and this feel like an up. I'd love "Prey 2" to be another interesting setting (geographically and time wise)
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:21 AM   #116
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd love "Prey 2" to be another interesting setting (geographically and time wise)
Yeah, in the 15th century at the time of the Spanish Inquisition -> Assassin's Creed.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #117
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
My Predator Films

Top Tier (Love)
Predator

Great Tier (Like)
Prey
Predator 2
Predators

Average Tier (Okay)
AvP
AvP: Requiem

Meh Tier (Dislike)
None

Awful Tier (Hate)
The Predator

==
We all have our tastes and desire, I think the series has had a lot of ups and downs and this feel like an up. I'd love "Prey 2" to be another interesting setting (geographically and time wise)
This pretty much sums it all up for me, though I think I would just switch AvP and Predators.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #118
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
Anyone that rates this as the best Predator movie of all-time deserves to have their internet service suspended as they are spreading moronic information that is detrimental to society.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #119
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
Dude, this movie has been out for 5 days, you can't possibly have the poster above your bed already. Anyone that rates this as the best Predator movie of all-time deserves to have their internet service suspended as they are spreading moronic information that is detrimental to society.
It's like you and a few others haven't even read my posts. I've given some hypothetical reasons for aspects of this Pred that you dislike, so it's not like it can't be explained. But obviously you're not buying them. That's cool. Your prerogative.

You can lump me in with others that 'like' Prey, but I'm not claiming it's anywhere near 'Predator'.

I enjoy talking about this with you and others, so I hope you're not taking what I said as an attack on you personally. I'm just pointing out what I perceive as flaws in some logic that's been posted. Devil's advocate at the very least.

At any rate, I see some mighty hypocrisy in the above quote. You think I'm defending it so vociferously, yet you especially are attacking it and anyone that likes it...right from the start...just like others that are praising it...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #120
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
That's a good point. It took brains to invent the automobile, but takes very little to operate one and crash it while texting. Perhaps this Predator was a noob who hadn't even killed a xenomorph before. And maybe they're not even that smart. Probably stole space travel and camo from the engineers/space jockeys.
Yeah, that's what I and many others I'm sure, are thinking. Youngblood.

He's much more reckless, and less aware of his surroundings. Maybe a 'teenager equivalent' Yautja for all we know.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote