Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #671
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Deimos View Post
Happens all the time especially nowadays. People just minimize the problem or white wash it completely just because they bought it and need other people to like it so they can feel better about their purchase. More of a showing than a review.

I thought about doing my own reviews where I would call this type of crap out, but people get hurt wayyy to easy nowadays to bother.
Or maybe people who see a thing IRL actually like it. I don't know, I'm not a mind reader.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #672
jb518
The Herculoids

Mine arrived and I love it. The seams aren't ideal and I wish Sideshow was upfront about them. Luckily mine aren't as bad as so me of the pics I've seen. Even if I had an option for a refund, I'd still keep him.
jb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #673
L Deimos
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGuy View Post
Or maybe people who see a thing IRL actually like it. I don't know, I'm not a mind reader.
Nothing wrong with liking a piece that has flaws...heck I love the artfx Venom seams and all. But this is the worst seams I've ever seen and for the price point this is kind of a sad joke. A good reviewer will admit that they still like the piece, but will make the flaws clear without trying to make it seem that it's no big deal. They just jump out right at you and some of them are very obvious and unessessary.
L Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:07 PM   #674
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Nothing wrong with liking a piece that has flaws...heck I love the artfx Venom seams and all. But this is the worst seams I've ever seen and for the price point this is kind of a sad joke. A good reviewer will admit that they still like the piece, but will make the flaws clear without trying to make it seem that it's no big deal. They just jump out right at you and some of them are very obvious and unessessary.
Sometimes flaws are more pronounced in print (photos/video). For example, pieces that I thought looked pretty average in reviews looked amazing when I saw them on display IRL.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:54 AM   #675
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Happens all the time especially nowadays. People just minimize the problem or white wash it completely just because they bought it and need other people to like it so they can feel better about their purchase. More of a showing than a review.

I thought about doing my own reviews where I would call this type of crap out, but people get hurt wayyy to easy nowadays to bother.

No, you're dead wrong. All who are buying this are well aware of the seams, what you don't seem to understand is that it simply doesn't matter, WHEN VIEWING THE SCULPT AS A WHOLE. JUST LOOK AT THE BLOODY THING!

And the 6 or so reviews from folks who have this already in hand have all been very positive, & this coming from collectors who judging by their set-ups, are long time experienced collecting folk. So to suggest that they would have the need, or motivation to "white wash" anything, is simply insane, insulting.

This Venom is a masterful sculpt, packed with detail & movement/flow, & easily the best deal on the market, and in fact a steal. Throw some RPs at it? And it becomes robbery, assault, & battery.

Can't wait.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #676
Conehead
Luke Cage

Just seen these...Fail

Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #677
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Just seen these...Fail

You think they could had cover the neck-seam must better. I?m still undecided on this. Will ssc comiquette suffice or do I need another Venom?
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #678
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
No, you're dead wrong. All who are buying this are well aware of the seams, what you don't seem to understand is that it simply doesn't matter, WHEN VIEWING THE SCULPT AS A WHOLE. JUST LOOK AT THE BLOODY THING!

And the 6 or so reviews from folks who have this already in hand have all been very positive, & this coming from collectors who judging by their set-ups, are long time experienced collecting folk. So to suggest that they would have the need, or motivation to "white wash" anything, is simply insane, insulting.

This Venom is a masterful sculpt, packed with detail & movement/flow, & easily the best deal on the market, and in fact a steal. Throw some RPs at it? And it becomes robbery, assault, & battery.

Can't wait.
Ok so those “facts”are not true..first off the people who originally pre ordered this had no idea the seams where that bad...so it’s obviously not everyone who ordered it knew what they were buying ..yes anyone who has seen the pics now and then ordered it know what they are in for. But let’s be fair, almost everyone pre orders and hopes for the best. So there was no way of knowing, especially since SSc had him displayed with no real visible seams..

Also it’s $650 plus tax and shipping..for me it would cost around $$850 when all said and done..so that’s no steal.

We all get you love this Venom, and good for you and all who love it.
But let’s be honest here..it could have been done a lot better. Even SS used a dark video to show this off..why?
There has been only one almost perfect Venom done to date..it’s not this one..IMO Randy Bowen’s crouching Venom is still the best done.
They should all take a page out of that one.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #679
DevGuy
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
But let?s be fair, almost everyone pre orders and hopes for the best
Can you present the data to back the claim that "almost everyone preorders"? Do we have access to the numbers?

Quote:
Also it?s $650 plus tax and shipping..for me it would cost around $$850 when all said and done..so that?s no steal.
Compared to other statues of this size Venom does seem on cheaper side. Your personal situation with taxes and shipping doesn't change the fundamentals, and such additional costs would likely apply to other statues anyway.

Quote:
anyone who has seen the pics now and then ordered it know what they are in for
Agree that if I had preordered based on proto pics, I'd be unhappy with the seams. And perhaps that's what's caused so much upset - you spend money expecting one thing but get something else.

For those of us who haven't preordered, if I buy this piece I know full-well what I'm getting. Maybe that's why I can live with the seams. Will have to see it IRL, like Mr X says, seeing a statue in real life is the only way to form a complete opinion.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #680
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGuy View Post
Can you present the data to back the claim that "almost everyone preorders"? Do we have access to the numbers?

Compared to other statues of this size Venom does seem on cheaper side. Your personal situation with taxes and shipping doesn't change the fundamentals, and such additional costs would likely apply to other statues anyway.

Agree that if I had preordered based on proto pics, I'd be unhappy with the seams. And perhaps that's what's caused so much upset - you spend money expecting one thing but get something else.

For those of us who haven't preordered, if I buy this piece I know full-well what I'm getting. Maybe that's why I can live with the seams. Will have to see it IRL, like Mr X says, seeing a statue in real life is the only way to form a complete opinion.
No we don’t have numbers, the same way we didn’t have them with “Everyone” who ordered knew about the seams. But we know from collecting in general Fomo causes more people to pre order then them waiting for it. How many times have you seen, “It’s Day one for me” ? Think they are waiting? Also if that was not the case SSC and every other company would just wait and sell items when in stock..skip pre orders, but we know that will never happen, Why? Because again most people will pre order.

As far as cost..if you order directly from SS you pay taxes and shipping, so that has to come into play wether we like it or not. It may cost you less if you live closer, but we all don’t live next to SS..so again for me it’s $850 no matter how you want to calculate it, so it’s not a steal at that price.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote