Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-29-2023, 06:12 PM   #161
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Don't worry, we'll only have to wait until Spooktacular for the full reveal of ivy
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:21 PM   #162
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Don't worry, we'll only have to wait until Spooktacular for the full reveal of ivy
You may be right.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:38 PM   #163
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

2023 is going to be very challenging financially for a lot a people. I see collectors getting out of the hobby, not getting in.

Hopefully we will get some reveals for Sideshow's Birthday.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:16 AM   #164
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I'm increasingly coming to the realisation that the future of this hobby might be in customs
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:52 AM   #165
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Quote:
I'm increasingly coming to the realisation that the future of this hobby might be in customs
I dont think so. Or do you mean for you personally?
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #166
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
I dont think so. Or do you mean for you personally?
If by future he means a hobby of 25-50 people getting together to do unlicensed pieces, then that?s not going to be much of a hobby group.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:49 AM   #167
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
sometimes its the only way, theres too many niche characters that only warrant a total es of 25-100 no way any major studio is going to invest in something like that. however i refuse to accept ill have to go that route for two face, he is top tier batman villain i "should" have no problem getting a licensed statue of him. its insane to me he hasnt been done yet
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #168
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Sideshow is dead.
People say at some point during the year, but its just out of frustration that were long term collecting and not seeing characters get made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
Isn't there anybody on this forum that has any inside information or knows someone who knows someone??? Sideshow now seems to be running never ending sales and no new announcements, hope the company isn't in trouble
Sales have likely slowed overall in the industry, and they are distributing for tons of others so they will be running lots of sales to keep things moving which makes sense to me.

Guessing why that maybe part of holding off announcements so they don't get small ES's on up coming pieces. But may mean they wont take as big of risks?

Other thing is Chinese new year celebrations should be about done in china and they will be getting back to the factories and providing updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
2023 is going to be very challenging financially for a lot a people. I see collectors getting out of the hobby, not getting in.

Hopefully we will get some reveals for Sideshow's Birthday.
Depends on how bad things get, ya i can see the secondary market get overloaded.

Sadly SS bday has never been a reveal event, unless they change it up this year.

Quote:
I'm increasingly coming to the realization that the future of this hobby might be in customs
I sure hope not, 90% of customs suck, and lots of them require master painters to make them look decent. You also get a lot of inconsistency in art direction/scale.

10% that are good those groups are difficult to get into unless your willing to throw alot of money to buy your way in or get lucky to get an invite.

Not many folks will be willing to pay $1,500-$2,000 on one statue. The larger the character the more expensive they are to make, paint, and ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
sometimes its the only way, theres too many niche characters that only warrant a total es of 25-100 no way any major studio is going to invest in something like that. however i refuse to accept ill have to go that route for two face, he is top tier batman villain i "should" have no problem getting a licensed statue of him. its insane to me he hasnt been done yet
I agree that some characters you'll likely have to go custom as SS/XM won't touch them. So paying to get a few characters made is cool.

Two face has to be coming up this year or the next at least. I don't want a custom one either, i want a SS made one.

I'm sure they would sell at least 1k, which should warrant them making them.

Only other possibility is that P1 will now be able to do 1/4th scale versions of batman rogues, still will be expensive but leaves the possibility that someone else picks up the missing rogues.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #169
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Customs are great on concept but terrible on execution. They mostly suffer on quality control from the paint and even then you are lucky to receive them without issues. Customs benefit from small numbers to not being limited by the license holder who chokes an artists creativity. Like a window to what we could have without your parents telling you what to do. Anyway...

I think Sideshow has no choice but to slow down on their releases and limit the budgets including for marketing. I see the company continue to pivot towards their distribution model by letting other companies take the risk and producing fewer internal pieces. This makes me worry more for their inhouse talent as if the company makes less of their own do they need their own. I hope those guys are branching their networks as a just in case.

Perhaps seeing more 1/5 or 1/6 scale to offset the costs? This continues to get interesting but perhaps not in a good way.

Doom and gloom.

Bright side is you may get to pick up older pieces with more discounting if you can swallow the shipping.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #170
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

LOL most customs are a joke. You either have dumb crap like a naked woman covered in tattoos standing in a bucket of water, being called Geisha Rogue, or you have endless repeats of the same characters that the licensed companies make.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote