Spoiler

Let's try this again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Compared to the source photo.
Her eye's looks too large.
Her chin looks too large.
Her mouth looks too large.
Upper teeth appear to be missing (possibly not lit?).

I'll reserve judgement until the piece is painted.
The disconnect here is in thinking this is the main "photo" Olivia is working from with this.

While this "image" is clearly inspiring the pose, this idealized photo/illustration is lacking in multiple areas. There is very little hint of form here. No artist would find this particular image (in this state) all that worthwhile as reference - especially for a 3D sculpture.

Fortunately, what Olivia is bringing to this project is decades of analysis of Page's features- from all kinds of angles, and all kinds of lighting. She has a studied knowledge to draw from to supply what this (inspirational) image lacks.

While this early render may miss in replicating that specific illustration, if you consult some other images of her, you may be better able to see how she is arriving at the portrait in the render.

I'm not saying it's the most attractive expression or look she could have chosen, just that it does capture a sense of the actual person better than a direct comparison to the idealized "Reveals All" key art image would suggest. Doesn't mean you gotta like it as is, as many clearly don't.

And yes, she did have a very defined dimple, which often got washed out in a lot of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page HS.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	167527   Click image for larger version

Name:	bettie-page-10.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	167528   Click image for larger version

Name:	BettiePageRevealsAll-2013-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	167529  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:33 PM   #82
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Let's try this again

The disconnect here is in thinking this is the main "photo" Olivia is working from with this.

While this "image" is clearly inspiring the pose, this idealized photo/illustration is lacking in multiple areas. There is very little hint of form here. No artist would find this particular image (in this state) all that worthwhile as reference - especially for a 3D sculpture.

Fortunately, what Olivia is bringing to this project is decades of analysis of Page's features- from all kinds of angles, and all kinds of lighting. She has a studied knowledge to draw from to supply what this (inspirational) image lacks.

While this early render may miss in replicating that specific illustration, if you consult some other images of her, you may be better able to see how she is arriving at the portrait in the render.

I'm not saying it's the most attractive expression or look she could have chosen, just that it does capture a sense of the actual person better than a direct comparison to the idealized "Reveals All" key art image would suggest. Doesn't mean you gotta like it as is, as many clearly don't.

And yes, she did have a very defined dimple, which often got washed out in a lot of photos.
I still think the eye's look too large.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:37 PM   #83
nearmint
Phoenix

What it boils down to me is whether the portrait is attractive or not. So far, it's not.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:31 PM   #84
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
What it boils down to me is whether the portrait is attractive or not. So far, it's not.
Understood.
But that's a different metric than "doesn't look like her".

I don't fall into a swoon when I look at it either.
At the same time, it's undeniably Page to me and I give Olivia credit for getting much of the likeness accurate to the real person instead of merely doing an idealized and/or generalized likeness- which is usually what happens with this person.

I'm sure it will keep getting tweaked and the eventual painted prototype will have a somewhat different effect.
However that turns out is almost certainly going to get further stepped on by the factory casting and paint. So even if we eventually do see a killer prototype, I'd be very leery of pre-ordering it anyway.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:54 PM   #85
aadroban
Birdman

I'm not even stressing over this. If the final version looks like something I would enjoy seeing in my collection every day, I'll order. If it stays close to how it is now, then I'm not the target audience. The photo posted earlier is alluring, just look at her eyes . . this portrait image, everything is too wide and it looks homely. Yes I can see Bettie Page in it . . doesn't mean I care to spend $700 to acquire it.
aadroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM   #86
AC_808
Hercules

Man, I'll just wait until it's painted and we see the full reveal. If it doesn't look good then, it'll be a pass. Really hoping it looks great.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:01 PM   #87
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

I don’t think that render looks like her. Distant cousin maybe. I’m really surprised Pdenham is giving that likeness a pass, I am used to you being more critical than this. In any event until we see an actual prototype it’s hard to say, but my excitement has been muted.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:35 AM   #88
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

These reactions are probably why we don?t see more work in progress posts.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #89
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Your dog?
Yah lol

VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:04 PM   #90
ukshaun
Hercules

Side by side grey scale.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote