Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-16-2024, 01:15 PM   #191
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbeef View Post
Just a word of caution about this statue - the base is pretty unstable. While putting mine together today, it fell over and several pieces broke off. Needless to say, I'm VERY ticked-off about this. Not sure I want to try and glue the pieces back on, since it'll never look quite the same.

Yikes! That sucks!

Doesn't hurt to contact Sideshow and try to get a replacement.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:21 PM   #192
hikaru110
Doh!

Sorry to hear..that hurts! I noticed on Gem mint's video that the base looked wobbly and thought that it might be due to his turntable. Does the base wobble?

Hopefully Sideshow will help you out. Thanks for sharing
hikaru110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:53 AM   #193
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post

There are obvious seams on both his arms and head - which I don't find oversized, by the way, but I can understand how others may think otherwise, what with people being used to pea-headed Hulks and those large eyes on the mask.

Now this could be due to it being a prototype, or simply a way to prevent from breakages in transit, but perhaps it could also mean an alternate portrait.

Spidey has just swung-in, & comes with some surprising sculptural sins?! Here's the good, the bad , the fugly.

1. What you'll get is one of the smallest/lightest boxes ever, promising it falls short size/height wise. It does.

2. Base, is actually a cool concept, but it just does not go far enough! Way too small/short, contradicting the effect of dizzying heights.

Pastel paints are fine, but the decals as backdrop cheapen the effects achieved by the actual geometrical sculptural elements within the work.

Should have been larger/taller, with more sculptural depth within the building themselves. As is, it falls short in height, depth, and effect.

3. Anatomy, surprisingly, shockingly is slightly off?! Yes a Bel, I said it, but still can't believe it.

Arms, hands, fingers, and left leg/thigh are all slightly too short, too small, giving Spidey a slightly bulbous head vibe, making the sculpt look like it's been put together with different sized anatomical scaled parts? And this is Bel I'm talking about. Strange.

4. Surprisingly the arm and head seams are super tight fitting, and actually some of the best i've seen. No problems here.

5. Paint is absolutely great on Spiderman, as for the base(?) the sculpted painted parts "yes", the decals not so much.

6. Base stability was only a worry when i set-up the sculpt on the common 12 inch ridged surface turntable to inspect, where the result was an unstable, wobbly base.

BUT, once placed on a flat surface, the statue becomes very stable/balanced, so i don't foresee any future problems regarding a possible crash & burn.

A good sculpt that should have been easily great, I gotta admit this one has left me still scratching my head.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:46 AM   #194
Starscream77
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru110 View Post
Sorry to hear..that hurts! I noticed on Gem mint's video that the base looked wobbly and thought that it might be due to his turntable. Does the base wobble?

Hopefully Sideshow will help you out. Thanks for sharing
the back of the base is narrow and wasn't the best design. you def have to be careful as a bump into a shelf could cause it to tumble
Starscream77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:11 AM   #195
Starscream77
The Spirit

waitlisted. at least this batch
Starscream77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 11:54 PM   #196
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

So I bought this after being waitlisted.

Didn't want a statue that had been returned, so asked the chatbot about it, and it guaranteed this item was new. It replied within seconds, so I'm sure this was a stock response to a question that they frequently get asked.

I of course don't trust it fully, as the only other item I bought that wasn't pre-ordered, arrived in a plain shipper, and appeared to have been opened before...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:22 AM   #197
qz33
Graviton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
So I bought this after being waitlisted.

Didn't want a statue that had been returned, so asked the chatbot about it, and it guaranteed this item was new. It replied within seconds, so I'm sure this was a stock response to a question that they frequently get asked.

I of course don't trust it fully, as the only other item I bought that wasn't pre-ordered, arrived in a plain shipper, and appeared to have been opened before...
They will tell you anything. We've opened enough statues to know unopened from opened.

Usually waitlist returns aren;t used until it has been a good while on waitllist in my experience.

I got a statue with cut blue tape and the UN box checked. Opened a case and everything. At first no one knew what I was talking about. Then they said "UN means nothing and neither does the blue tape".
Yeah okay so those 3 check boxes are for no reason ,someone marked one for no reason, put blue tape OVER the original clear for no reason, then cut the blue tape all around and resealed it with clear on top again for no reason.
Always remember statues are a game of lies...
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:25 AM   #198
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Spidey has just swung-in, & comes with some surprising sculptural sins?! Here's the good, the bad , the fugly.

1. What you'll get is one of the smallest/lightest boxes ever, promising it falls short size/height wise. It does.

2. Base, is actually a cool concept, but it just does not go far enough! Way too small/short, contradicting the effect of dizzying heights.

Pastel paints are fine, but the decals as backdrop cheapen the effects achieved by the actual geometrical sculptural elements within the work.

Should have been larger/taller, with more sculptural depth within the building themselves. As is, it falls short in height, depth, and effect.

3. Anatomy, surprisingly, shockingly is slightly off?! Yes a Bel, I said it, but still can't believe it.

Arms, hands, fingers, and left leg/thigh are all slightly too short, too small, giving Spidey a slightly bulbous head vibe, making the sculpt look like it's been put together with different sized anatomical scaled parts? And this is Bel I'm talking about. Strange.

4. Surprisingly the arm and head seams are super tight fitting, and actually some of the best i've seen. No problems here.

5. Paint is absolutely great on Spiderman, as for the base(?) the sculpted painted parts "yes", the decals not so much.

6. Base stability was only a worry when i set-up the sculpt on the common 12 inch ridged surface turntable to inspect, where the result was an unstable, wobbly base.

BUT, once placed on a flat surface, the statue becomes very stable/balanced, so i don't foresee any future problems regarding a possible crash & burn.

A good sculpt that should have been easily great, I gotta admit this one has left me still scratching my head.
Appreciate the honest thoughts. I know you are a huge Sideshow supporter. I wish this one met your expectations. I thought the Spidey looked great on this but I was never a fan of the base.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 02:32 AM   #199
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
They will tell you anything. We've opened enough statues to know unopened from opened.

Usually waitlist returns aren;t used until it has been a good while on waitllist in my experience.

I got a statue with cut blue tape and the UN box checked. Opened a case and everything. At first no one knew what I was talking about. Then they said "UN means nothing and neither does the blue tape".
Yeah okay so those 3 check boxes are for no reason ,someone marked one for no reason, put blue tape OVER the original clear for no reason, then cut the blue tape all around and resealed it with clear on top again for no reason.
Always remember statues are a game of lies...
Yeah, I got a Mark III maquette wayyy late. Ended up selling it as I didn't want 'used' straight from SS. Also didn't like the muddy boots. Didn't want to make a fuss at the time. Ended up working out alright since I got my money back in the sale, plus still got the Rewards from SS.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:43 AM   #200
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yeah, I got a Mark III maquette wayyy late. Ended up selling it as I didn't want 'used' straight from SS. Also didn't like the muddy boots. Didn't want to make a fuss at the time. Ended up working out alright since I got my money back in the sale, plus still got the Rewards from SS.
Funny, the same & the opposite was true for me, as I recently tracked down Iron man mark lll for a good price & decided to keep him. I guess one man's mud is another man's gold dust, and there's the fun.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote