Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
They gotta shorten the amount of time between pitches. All this batter setup between each pitch is a bunch of crap.
This is also a big problem. Baseball isn't as action packed as football so they can't get away with these 3 - 4 hour marathon games. They really need to shorten these games - Some of these games go on entirely too long. They need to have these pitchers on the clock. Also if your going to intententionly walk someone just wave the batter to first, why the hell do you have to throw 4 balls for??? It wouldn't be a bad idea to also limit the amount of times you can throw over to first base during 1 at bat also. This opens it up for base runners and makes the game more exciting I think.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Allot of it is because of general lack of interest. They need to fix the playoffs a bit. They need to make it harder for a wild card team to win and they need to make that first round 7 games. I like the idea I read I believe on Yahoo sports. They suggested that their be 2 wild card teams. The 2 wild card teams play each other in a best of 3 and the winner goes into the next series with no days off - The winner of the wild card game then plays the team with the best record. This gives division winners incentive to play out the schedule instead of coasting the way the Mets & Yankees did. Your going to want to get that best record so you can play that tired wild card team. This adds some extra excitement because now there's even an extra team that has a chance. I like the sound of this plan.
I like that Idea.
One thing that does come to mind is that some Wild Card Teams just happen to have a better record than some of the Division Winners.
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex655321 View Post
I like that Idea.
One thing that does come to mind is that some Wild Card Teams just happen to have a better record than some of the Division Winners.
Hey if you don't win the division they too bad I say. But that is a good point you bring up. The division winner with the best record plays the wild card. I guess thats the way they would have to do it. I really hope they go through with this.

I'm sure what I read was the best record among the division winners.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
This is also a big problem. Baseball isn't as action packed as football so they can't get away with these 3 - 4 hour marathon games. They really need to shorten these games - Some of these games go on entirely too long. They need to have these pitchers on the clock. Also if your going to intententionly walk someone just wave the batter to first, why the hell do you have to throw 4 balls for??? It wouldn't be a bad idea to also limit the amount of times you can throw over to first base during 1 at bat also. This opens it up for base runners and makes the game more exciting I think.
I would shorten this to the one line I am targeting but I don't know how...The line about waving a guy to first on an intentional walk...I've seen the pitcher throw wild on several occasions...advancing runners...and the batter reach the ball for a hit on fewer...As to the wild card team...Steelers were a wild card and "won" the super bowl...As for the ratings...I don't care how many people watched...I did...and I enjoyed it...Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals... ...I wish it would have been the New York Yankees... ...But...I will take what I can get... ...Even if it is a stick to the 'ole noggin' ...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
Underdog07
Hercules

The teams playing have less of an impact then one would think. Just look at the numbers, the years when the Yanks or Yanks/Mets were in the Series do not jump out and exceed the other years. Also, look at the NLDS ratings. NY played LA - the countries 2 biggest markets. And still the ratings were a disappointment.

What is happening is that baseball is losing the casual fan. Many people feel that their hometown or local teams do not have a chance ever, so they don't bother watching. Couple that with the fact that there are many more entertainment options and that the games are starting late (knocking out the kiddies) and you end up with lower ratings.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote