Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #91
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post

I pretty much only collect commissions because it was an alternate and cheaper way to collect art. However it seems to me that the scales are starting to balance a bit and I might shift back to collecting pages, covers and splashes if the trend continues.

Mike
great point - the $300 splash doesn't seem so expensive compared to the $500 comission
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #92
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Wow Aussies to the rescue We is a term I use for collectors and fans. As I mentioned earlier as long at the guy who paid 3k is happy that is all that matters.

I however would not be happy with that sketch if i paid 3k. Why does this upset AH fans so much? The auction was completed prior to CC. Adam could have said since the guy has paid me 3k direct (as opposed to paying someone on ebay) i'll make a bit more effort on this one.
Can you explain this please? Because you've described my ethnicity in a negative fashion here and I'm none to impressed. I consider this borderline racism
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #93
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Hey, I have a great idea! Why don't we close this thread. Nothing useful, productive or positive has been said, so let's drop it. Just a thought.
Or we could all start making character assassinations on each other based on our country of origin? :tounge:
Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #94
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Can you explain this please? Because you've described my ethnicity in a negative fashion here and I'm none to impressed. I consider this borderline racism
It's ok, he is Irish!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #95
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
BF, why should he do that? What would he ultimately gain by doing that? Your approval? Do you give all of your work bonuses and perks to the homeless?

P.S. You own like 1000 Batman sketches, right? Clearly, this is a beloved hobby of yours. Would you actually care if you learned that some fans believed you continually waste your money on mediocre caliber sketches? Of course not, right? And, why should you? You generally just buy what you like and really couldn't care less what people thought about how and where you spend your money. In fact, you might even find threads devoted to the topic of your personal business as a total turn off. Hughes likely feels no different.
nah only like 600 of Batman the other 600+ are of other Batman characters lol Are you trying to say the art I get sucks?? LOL do I care No I buy what I like..

But unlike Huges or any Named artist I am not a person in the public eye or media etc when you are in those kinds positions you are destine to be discussed whether you like it or not. I am a collector but if people want to start threads about me then please do I will join in and complain about myself to myself. I have plenty to Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word- about myself about as well.
I do love the hobby it's fun but my main point is where the future of the hobby is goin, artists use to be HAPPY to have someone want a piece of art from them now they believe they are some kind of greek gods or something and that us mortal men should bow down to them to get art from them. It use to be when you went to a con or contacted an artist and asked for a piece of art they were like " wow you want to pay me to do a piece for you" and long gone are those days for the most part. Now its "oh if you want a piece you have to jump on one foot spin around and sing the national anthem backwards and then I will maybe do one for you.

It's the fact that its FANS who are causing a lot of this if they would refuse to pay the crazy prices or get up at 4am and stand in line for them and soon they will come off of their pedestals and return to the realm of us mortal men.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #96
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

There is no arguing that the winner got exactly what was promised in the auction and there is no way to jump on AH for that. For my standpoint, I don't think I could take the $3000 and do the same level of work that they guy paying $3-400 would get. But that's just me, I would feel guilty about it. I would have to put some extra stuff in. I think that is maybe what Bulls is trying to say.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #97
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
There is no arguing that the winner got exactly what was promised in the auction and there is no way to jump on AH for that. For my standpoint, I don't think I could take the $3000 and do the same level of work that they guy paying $3-400 would get. But that's just me, I would feel guilty about it. I would have to put some extra stuff in. I think that is maybe what Bulls is trying to say.
Even though you are not Australian, I agree with your sentiment.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #98
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
nah only like 600 of Batman the other 600+ are of other Batman characters lol Are you trying to say the art I get sucks?? LOL do I care No I buy what I like..

But unlike Huges or any Named artist I am not a person in the public eye or media etc when you are in those kinds positions you are destine to be discussed whether you like it or not. I am a collector but if people want to start threads about me then please do I will join in and complain about myself to myself. I have plenty to Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word-Bad-Word- about myself about as well.
I do love the hobby it's fun but my main point is where the future of the hobby is goin, artists use to be HAPPY to have someone want a piece of art from them now they believe they are some kind of greek gods or something and that us mortal men should bow down to them to get art from them. It use to be when you went to a con or contacted an artist and asked for a piece of art they were like " wow you want to pay me to do a piece for you" and long gone are those days for the most part. Now its "oh if you want a piece you have to jump on one foot spin around and sing the national anthem backwards and then I will maybe do one for you.

It's the fact that its FANS who are causing a lot of this if they would refuse to pay the crazy prices or get up at 4am and stand in line for them and soon they will come off of their pedestals and return to the realm of us mortal men.
Lee - Your Hughes rants are going to have to end when I get you a Bat-Satellite Dish done by him.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #99
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
It's ok, he is Irish!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #100
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I dont think what he said was borderline racism... it is like saying... Your friends are jumping in to help you out... Like you Aussies are coming to the rescue... or you Yanks always have the worst economy... or the British always send their prisoners to live on an island...
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote