Aussies suck 5 5.26%
Monster is a troublemaker 24 25.26%
This thread should be locked 12 12.63%
This thread rocks! 25 26.32%
I like Marvelboi a little more since this all started 4 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #91
scorpdlm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Wait so does this mean a bunch of artists are gonna have open slots on their commission lists? Time to send some emails lol
scorpdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #92
Underdog07
Hercules

At first blush I thought Lee jumped the gun. After thinking about it I think Lee is in the right because, as of now, the artists has Lee's $$$ and is selling the art to someone else. Unless and until Lee receives a refund, that art should be his.

And, both those poison ivys are pretty bad. The artist also did not complete 2 ivys, but one and a prelim. MBoi has it right the second one looks like she is humping a tree. Not really a sharp piece.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #93
scorpdlm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

sure

I don't think anyone is defending the artist for keeping the money. I think most of us just think Lee wasn't right to bail on 3 pieces he liked because the artist decided not to do a third attempt at the 4th piece. Lee should have took the 3 pieces he had the artist do with the discount and then ended it there instead of bailing on the entire transaction.
scorpdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #94
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Dang. Took his ball and went home. I miss a few days and miss this.

Welcome to the boards Mark. You doing NYCC?

Mike
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #95
Mark brooks
Artist
Producer

I reached out and got in contact with Tim. He put the pieces up on ebay specifically to pay Lee back and will be sending Lee his money as soon as the auctions end. He also said the Poison Ivy was sold to someone else soon after Lee said he didn't like it. Apparently there was someone else on his commission list who also wanted Poison Ivy so Tim offered it to him and he jumped on it. That's why it's not listed on e-bay.
Just as I thought, Lee is going to get back every penny he paid.
Mark brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #96
Brawny
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark brooks View Post
Good to know that. I was thinking of adding an addition on my house over my garage and will page you $300 to do it. What time can you be here?
And I'm not talking about civil disputes in court or whatever, you're reading too much into it. We, as artist, differentiate between clients and patrons based on job, subject, use, and work time and treat each accordingly. It's as simple as that. And I don't think I said anything about providing bad work to a patron, you're putting words in my mouth. What I'm speaking of is the expectations from a job based on the client or patron. Both will always get quality work but whether it's 3 hours of quality work or 40 hours of quality work is going to depend on the job and yeah, it has everything to do with money. That's not an ego thing, it's just a fact of life that applies to every job out there.
If I agree to do do the addition at that rate, I wouldn't bring up that price again. That just poor business practice. The artists didn't believe he did a quality job on the ivy or he would have sold that too. He broke the agreement first by saying he would just send the three pieces. I would debate more on this topic but I have to get back to work. Im actually doing this job free fir a friend. I take pride in my work ,so even though its a freebie, iit will be the same as if I were getting my normal rate.
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #97
Mark brooks
Artist
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
If I agree to do do the addition at that rate, I wouldn't bring up that price again. That just poor business practice. The artists didn't believe he did a quality job on the ivy or he would have sold that too. He broke the agreement first by saying he would just send the three pieces. I would debate more on this topic but I have to get back to work. Im actually doing this job free fir a friend. I take pride in my work ,so even though its a freebie, iit will be the same as if I were getting my normal rate.
Cool man but did you read my second reply? Here it is again:

"I reached out and got in contact with Tim. He put the pieces up on ebay specifically to pay Lee back and will be sending Lee his money as soon as the auctions end. He also said the Poison Ivy was sold to someone else soon after Lee said he didn't like it. Apparently there was someone else on his commission list who also wanted Poison Ivy so Tim offered it to him and he jumped on it. That's why it's not listed on e-bay."

So that clears that up. And Lee was the one who said he didn't want the pieces after Tim asked for his address to mail them to him. So no, Tim didn't break the agreement first, Lee did.
It's completely cool if you want to disagree with me but please make sure to read everything so you opinion is well informed. And if you agree to do an addition on my house of $300 but then decide you'd be willing to do it for $250 I certainly hope you will bring it up to me. I don't think anyone receiving a discount would consider it poor business practices to be offered it. Good luck on your friend's job, I'm sure it will come out great!=)

Last edited by Mark brooks; 07-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Mark brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #98
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Really cool of you to get to the bottom as a neutral party....well semi neutral.

And please some day do Baltimore Con, it's my only shot to get a piece from you
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #99
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I just wanted to say how much I love this thread.

I haven't been here in like a week and this was brought to my attention. Galactus and Mark Brooks are the voices of reason here and I can't disagree with anything they've said.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #100
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
First to Rocket--- great lookin Finch Cap you're using as an avatar.
Why thanks Lindsey!

I got it from Dave at Supanova con last weekend

Larger pics here: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=118813

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote