Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 08-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #91
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Not a bust collector, but this is looking sharp! Who here is picking up this beauty?
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #92
qz33
Baron Zemo

Hmmm can't get the video to work

EDIT: Okay got it. So what happened was the paint too expensive? Why so flat?
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #93
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
This looks fantastic! This will go so nicely with the 1/4 statue!
It'll match at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Not a bust collector, but this is looking sharp! Who here is picking up this beauty?
I've got it on preorder.

I'm still deciding if that's a good thing or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Hmmm can't get the video to work

EDIT: Okay got it. So what happened was the paint too expensive? Why so flat?
That's definately the question of the month. Check out the threads for both the 1/4 and life size statues, where this same topic has been discussed.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:13 PM   #94
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

However, in the video it does look a deeper shade (which is a good thing, if true) than what I've seen on those reviews of the full life size statue. But I still think it's lost that metallic tint of the prototype.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't have the same exact paint as the life size statue.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #95
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I think the paint and finish look great. I won't know for sure until I get it in hand, but so far, I'm pleased with what I'm seeing.

I think people are used to the fact that the MK VII has always been painted incorrectly; XM, Sideshow and Kotobukiya. They always give it a fire-engine red colour with full on gloss coat.

In the movie, the MK VII has a matte finish to it. This is closest it's ever got to the look from the film.

This is the prototype from the con last year...

GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #96
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

The original prototype photos actually look more metallic (and I'm not talking about gloss coat etc) than the convention photo above. So it's probably a combination of both post work being done on the photos and the convention lighting possibly washing it out.

I just rewatched all the Mark 7 scenes and it does have this metallic tint that this seems to possibly be missing. Of course all that was CGI and this is a real life object.

But then again, most Iron Man products have this issue. Rather than looking metallic, most manufacturers have just applied a simple gloss coat to their pieces.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #97
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Gary pretty much nailed it.
If you saw my posts on the Queens 1/4 Mark 7, I was panicking as I was having a buyers remorse before receiving it as I was torn between Queens vs Sideshow 1/4 Mark 7.
Having many Hot Toys Ironman in the past, I'm so used to the high gloss finish. So I thought maybe I should have gone with Sideshows.

All my worries were thrown away after getting the statue in hand. The paint in hand has a nice shine finish, its not glossy, but in my opinion, it actually looks more like an expensive paint job.
For me personally, it even has a vinyl wrap look to it, usually the kind of paintjob you see on the expensive high end cars.

Also, like Gary said, if you go back and look at pictures or watch Avengers, Queens are more accurate to the color and paint, It wasnt a high gloss paint.
We're just so used to seeing it from all these Ironman figures or statues that are always painted with a high gloss paint.
I know in some of these pics, it can give an impression that its flat, cheaper looking paint, which is why I was panicking before receiving my statue, but I can attest that in hand, its the opposite,
it looks to me like Queens went the extra mile and used a more expensive paint in my opinion.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #98
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
Gary pretty much nailed it.
If you saw my posts on the Queens 1/4 Mark 7, I was panicking as I was having a buyers remorse before receiving it as I was torn between Queens vs Sideshow 1/4 Mark 7.
Having many Hot Toys Ironman in the past, I'm so used to the high gloss finish. So I thought maybe I should have gone with Sideshows.

All my worries were thrown away after getting the statue in hand. The paint in hand has a nice shine finish, its not glossy, but in my opinion, it actually looks more like an expensive paint job.
For me personally, it even has a vinyl wrap look to it, usually the kind of paintjob you see on the expensive high end cars.

Also, like Gary said, if you go back and look at pictures or watch Avengers, Queens are more accurate to the color and paint, It wasnt a high gloss paint.
We're just so used to seeing it from all these Ironman figures or statues that are always painted with a high gloss paint.
I know in some of these pics, it can give an impression that its flat, cheaper looking paint, which is why I was panicking before receiving my statue, but I can attest that in hand, its the opposite,
it looks to me like Queens went the extra mile and used a more expensive paint in my opinion.
Possibly my favourite Iron Man piece in my collection, isn't even a statue. I have four full Iron Man statues from Iron Studios and Sideshow, and yet most of the time I prefer my 1/4 scale Mark 43 from Hot Toys. It has a somewhat matte finish (but still had a decent metallic tint to the paint), so maybe I'll end up liking this one too.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #99
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Possibly my favourite Iron Man piece in my collection, isn't even a statue. I have four full Iron Man statues from Iron Studios and Sideshow, and yet most of the time I prefer my 1/4 scale Mark 43 from Hot Toys. It has a somewhat matte finish (but still had a decent metallic tint to the paint), so maybe I'll end up liking this one too.
I'm very confident you will man.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #100
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
I'm very confident you will man.
Fingers crossed.

But I do know that, if I had been able/nuts enough to purchase the full life size statue, I probably wouldn't be pleased with how that one turned out.