Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #1031
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
OK I have to go soon so this will be an easy one. To give the premise of the show would make it a dead give away. So here goes.

This sci-fi show ran for two seasons in the mid-1970's and had a real life husband and wife in the lead roles. They had previously appeared together in "Mission Impossible". Name the show and the two actors in the lead roles. A bonus point if you can name the specific date given by the show of the major calamity that the show is premised on
Space: 1999, Martin Landau & Barbara Bain, Spetember 13, 1999
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #1032
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocruze View Post
Space: 1999, Martin Landau & Barbara Bain

wow, you nailed that in a hurry. Since you eschewed the bonus point, it was September 13, 1999.

You're up PC. Quote or question or both.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #1033
pablocruze

This show is a unique piece of television. It addresses issues such as personal identity and freedom, democracy, education, scientific progress, art and technology, while still remaining an entertaining drama series. Over seventeen episodes we witness a war of attrition between the faceless forces behind 'The Village' (a Kafkaesque community somewhere between Butlins and Alcatraz) and its most strong willed inmate, who struggles ceaselessly to assert his individuality while plotting to escape from his captors.

Name the show, the protagonist's name (the hero), the actor who portrayed him, the name of the main antagonist (the villian) and the actor who portrayed him (this is a tricky question) and name the location where the series takes place. For extra credit, name the series that preceeded this show and the character who was portrayed by the same actor.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #1034
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
This show is a unique piece of television. It addresses issues such as personal identity and freedom, democracy, education, scientific progress, art and technology, while still remaining an entertaining drama series. Over seventeen episodes we witness a war of attrition between the faceless forces behind 'The Village' (a Kafkaesque community somewhere between Butlins and Alcatraz) and its most strong willed inmate, who struggles ceaselessly to assert his individuality while plotting to escape from his captors.

Name the show, the protagonist's name (the hero), the actor who portrayed him, the name of the main antagonist (the villian) and the actor who portrayed him (this is a tricky question) and name the location where the series takes place. For extra credit, name the series that preceeded this show and the character who was portrayed by the same actor.
I was actually surprised to see this show in the greatest show elimination thread as it is fairly obscure. It was called "The Prisoner", I never heard his actual name but he was played by Patrick McGoohan and was always referred to as "number 6" in the shows I saw, the main antagonist(s) is identified as "number 2" but is played by several different actors. The series location was "the village" of which the location is unknown. In two episodes the approximate location is given as "somewhere near the coast of morroco south west of Portugal and Spain", in the other as "Lithuania, 30 miles from the Polish border". In both cases it becomes clear that his captors are deceiving him in some ways and it is likely that neither location is correct. In the final episode it is suggested that the Village is within one tank of gas of London, and no indication is given of Ferry, Ship, or air travel.

EC the show that preceded this was "Danger Man" in which Patrick McGoohan played secret agent John Drake
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #1035
pablocruze

You got it TN...In America, I believe "Danger Man" was broadcast as "Secret Agent". Number 2 was played by a bunch of different actors and actresses, each lasted onlt one episode and was replaced when they failed to "break" the prisoner, with the notable exception of 2 actors, the most familiar being Leo McKern who actually appeared in 3 episodes.

You're up TN!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #1036
Teague
Iron Man

Damn, I keep missing the opportunity to answer these.

"The Prisoner" was a fantastic show, by the way. Just surprisingly good.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #1037
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Damn, I keep missing the opportunity to answer these.

"The Prisoner" was a fantastic show, by the way. Just surprisingly good.
POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Hey Teague, it's been many years, but in the final episode,
{{{{didn't we find out that No. 1 was the prisoner himself???}}}}
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #1038
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Hey Teague, it's been many years, but in the final episode,
{{{{didn't we find out that No. 1 was the prisoner himself???}}}}
Yes, but the meaning of that, exactly, is up for debate, since in the last episode, No.1's face was revealed first to be an ape-mask, and under that, the face of No.6...but whether or not that, too, was meant to be a mask, or have only psychological meaning instead of "real" meaning in the show is anyone's guess. The scene in Empire Strikes back, where Luke sees his own face in the Vader mask, always reminds me of that scene. So your guess is as good as mine.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #1039
pablocruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Yes, but the meaning of that, exactly, is up for debate, since in the last episode, No.1's face was revealed first to be an ape-mask, and under that, the face of No.6...but whether or not that, too, was meant to be a mask, or have only psychological meaning instead of "real" meaning in the show is anyone's guess. The scene in Empire Strikes back, where Luke sees his own face in the Vader mask, always reminds me of that scene. So your guess is as good as mine.
It also reminds me of the Adam Warlock/Magus series...

Hint: Pale turquoise or light blue is a more effective color for hiding text...Oh, you changed it!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #1040
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
It also reminds me of the Adam Warlock/Magus series...

Hint: Pale turquoise or light blue is a more effective color for hiding text...
Ahhh...good point. I only have a passing familiarity with that series, but you're right.

And yeah, I changed the color as quick as I could!

Anyway, The Prisoner is one of those series I'd really like to get on DVD at some point. It was amazing, especially for its time!