Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #1081
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
1) Your conception of Batman is only one of many versions.

2) Your conception of Batman was repudiated by the author of The Killing Joke, a book repeatedly mentioned by people who share your viewpoint.
Killing joke is very much a relevant work as they've just created a movie based on it and it is frequently referenced in both ongoing comic lore and the latest games. Alan Moore argues more that the KJ is not one of his favourite works as he contributed to today's darker less innocent narrative of comic lore. Not so much that it was poor work but more along the lines that comics have embraced a darker path than intended from works like KJ and Watchmen.

Arkham is all the more relevant as this piece is directly based on it including the Mad Dog reference on the base.

Batman is a mess. He laughs after Barbara gets raped and paralyzed, he gets hopped up on Joker toxin, he gets addicted to Venom, he hangs a corpse off his bat jet and flies around Gotham, banging black canary in front of a bunch of burning criminals, he beats the joker near death on an ongoing basis...it's not the version "I like"...it's just who he is. He's not embraced a hero but seen as a vigilante. That puts him more on a line with Punisher than a Captain America equivalent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	112836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	112837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	112838  
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #1082
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsroy View Post
A lot of ego around here.

There are too many interpretations of bats even if some people refuse to believe it.

It makes me laugh how this conversation turns out into "who knows more about the character? I do, so my opinion is better than yours".

The actual batman comics explore a different kind of batman, an evolution of a man who is trying to find happiness. This is something we need saw at that level. I wonder if this is a fair representation of the bat or not. I guess I have to ask to the people who know more because their opinion is better than mine.

As I said, huge amounts of ego around here.
You lost me at Batman searching for happiness
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #1083
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Judging from the responses I’m def not the only one with this perception. Batman is his true identity while Bruce Wayne is an act he puts on. The movies, comics all get into this.
His internal struggles have always been his most interesting asset. He dresses up as a bat and goes around beating bad guys,nuff said. Ultimately it’s the Author who decides what level of psychosis he suffers from which is a reason why I despise batman 66 so much but love Arkham Asylum :A serious house on serious Earth so much. All these villians trying to push him over the edge of sanity only because they know he is barely holding on. It’s Fuxxing great!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #1084
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
That's today's Batman. Dontcha know he's getting married and going to live happily ever after with his kitty cat?
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #1085
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
His internal struggles have always been his most interesting asset. He dresses up as a bat and goes around beating bad guys,nuff said. Ultimately it’s the Author who decides what level of psychosis he suffers from which is a reason why I despise batman 66 so much but love Arkham Asylum :A serious house on serious Earth so much. All these villians trying to push him over the edge of sanity only because they know he is barely holding on. It’s Fuxxing great!
I like my Bats driven and obsessed. His crusade means more to him than anything on earth. It's his reason for being and why he wasn't killed that night along with his parents. I like when he struggles with the moral line he's drawn in the sand and tries with all his might not to cross it. He won't kill but...he'll hurt you...real bad. In his mind it's the only thing that differentiates him from those he's chasing. What I think is cool is that the villains that know him best realize that the line between them and Bats is thin to begin with and just the right push could send him over the edge. They get off on the belief that he's one bad day away from joining them in the Asylum.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #1086
Mister H
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post

The more I look at this the more it looks like the head is small. P1 was great about fixing their Superman's head size. I wonder if SS will do the same.
I bet that they don’t.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #1087
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
This is correct.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #1088
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
That's today's Batman. Dontcha know he's getting married and going to live happily ever after with his kitty cat?
TBH this is why I don't dig Tom King's Batman.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #1089
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
This dream has to fall apart somehow. It's too weak. But even in this storyline he is recounting the times to Selina how he walked the line and now lives with regret.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #1090
letsroy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
As you would say, do you read batman's comics?

THAT is what is happening right now and most readers are thrilled with tom king's batman.

Don't tell me... I know, he doesn't know the character.

(For God's sake)
letsroy is offline   Reply With Quote