Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #101
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
It's quite obvious that the level of one's enjoyment or dislike of this movie is based on relativity and age. I was less than 10 when I first saw ANH back in '77. From then on, Star Wars became a cultural touchstone for millions of people. Then '99 comes along and Lucas gives "me" Phanton Menace as the first prequel installment. Was I too old? Was this new Star Wars meant for me? I parceled with that question for maybe a month thereafter coming to realize that this new Star Wars was a CGI overload, boring political drama, annoyingly presented kid-Anakin mess. The two follow-ups were marginally better.

And then Lucas sells it all to Disney. Behold a new take on Star Wars - "The Force Awakens." But was it truly a new take? Thoughts of Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" took hold in me as I experienced another beep-beep droid delivering a vital message, a new planet destroying weapon, the bar scene, Rey becoming a young Luke and Luke becoming an older Obi-wan, X-Wings attacking a Death Star, etc. Fortunately, the source material for Star Wars carries much fonder recollection for me than Donner's Superman (I know, sacrilege to some folks, but I was one who really enjoyed Man of Steel even with faults I acknowledge).

Did this homage bother me? Yes, but it still made the film enjoyable...just not transcendent. I enjoyed two "flashback" movies more this year - Mad Max and Creed. Ironically, I didn't mind those films dipping back into source material storyline and plot devices. Maybe because I wanted more from this new Star Wars, which hopefully it will deliver in future installments.

My two biggest gripes (other than the too many call-backs to ANH) were Han's death sequence and Leia's and Chewie's disregard of each other afterwards.

"Everyone" knew Han was going to die as soon as he stepped out to follow Ren. Han is/was my favorite character in the series, and yet his death (other than the quick shock) left me cold. If that's the way Abrams and Ford wanted to go, save it for the next installment. There should have been a bigger emotional build-up and less of an obvious slow-burn sequence of "Ren is going to kill him."

And how could they not give us a scene between Han and Luke?!?!

As for my second gripe, how did Leia totally disregarding Chewie after Han's death make it past editing? Hell, how does Chewie not just go up to Leia and wrap her in the biggest Wookie embrace ever?

The after effects of Han's death just seemed so, meh.

I didn't hate the film, there are genuine moments of coolness, but in the words of one of those reality music shows, for the next installment - "make it your own."

For basketball fans, it was like growing up when Jordan played and then later seeing Kobe play. Kobe did his best to mimick Jordan's basketball skills. He never equaled Jordan, but there were moments where you could see those flashes.

Bottom line, Abrams brought back hope, now give me some unexpected, mind-blowing well executed story beats.
Well said, Wizard.

The only good thing to come out of the prequels IMO was Darth Maul. And they axed him in Episode I, when they should've let him build momentum until the 3rd.

Great comparison to Superman Returns in terms of homage. Honestly, I enjoyed the nods in both Returns and Awakens - or at minimum wasn't offended by them - but I too am looking forward to going their own way. They've bridged the original group to the new cast, so they should be able to "cut loose" from here on out.

Here's hoping Rey isn't revealed as Luke's daughter. I can see an uncomfortable love triangle homage playing out with Finn and Kylo.

Finn: Dude, I can tell she loves you. And you love her...
Kylo: Dude, she's my cousin!

The aftermath of Han's death should've been given more weight as you and others have said. A small moment like Leia and Chewiee would've conveyed volumes. I didn't mind the way Han died, him unknowingly giving Kylo permission to end him was powerful I felt. Han and Luke together again would've been amazing. Maybe a flashback?

And didn't realize that the boys from Ex Machina were reunited in this one.

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #102
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

There's already discussion on the parallels with ep4 and I resonate with many of the comments, so I won't go into those again. So here are my nits on the movie.

I didn't care for the scene on Han's freighter as it took me out of the movie. The action was cheesy and the CG monsters looked terrible. Silly looking hentai tentacle creatures that I could have done without.

Supreme leader Snoak looked bad. I know we are seeing a hologram and maybe that's why it looks like bad CG. But the character looks unimpressive for a mo-cap all CG character.

Overall the movie did suffer from the final edit. A lot of exposition seems to be have been edited out for time. Max Von Sydow was barely on screen. Odd that Leia hugs Rey at the end, a person she never met. Wasn't quite clear how the First Order operates in context of the Republic. Did they spilt control of the galaxy after the battle of Endor?

Very busy movie, but I enjoyed it. Better than all the prequels as it does capture the magic of adventure. Would need to see it a few more times before I can properly rank it with the original trilogy.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:18 AM   #103
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Total rehash issue aside,
If someone told me in 1983 that the future of my heroes was so s****y and out of character I'd told them they
were nuts. These are not my Luke, Han and Leia.
Failed parents, failed marriage, failed to secure post-war peace, failed Jedi, running off and hiding, turning backs on family and brothers in arms when it matters most.

Screw you JJ.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #104
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Hell, Mavelito, your feelings on the scene are more touching to me than what was shown. Next time I see it, I will think of you.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #105
Luminous
Cyclops

You guys have fun in this thread. I think I've had my fill.

Last edited by Luminous; 12-19-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #106
komodo112
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I just got back. Huge group with me. I was in the extreme minority. Everybody loved it. I found it overrated.

I thought the movie was 'safe' Very 'Disney-esque.' The best way to describe it was a recycled Episode IV. There were no risks taken and I found it very predictable.

The villains were extremely stale and Rey was over the top.

Like I said, I was in the minority to the point where my group even got offended because I was the only one that wasn't happy with it.
komodo112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:55 AM   #107
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I saw it again earlier today and still enjoyed it. Not any more or less, pretty much the same.

I think a completely original film would have been awesome as well, and I have no doubt we'll get that film soon. I'm alright with this being a "greatest hits" type movie. It's not a reboot, but more of deja-boot (yes, I just invented that!) Star Wars has always been about mirroring and recurring themes etc. maybe they went a little further with that than necessary, but I'm fine with it this time around. I'm hoping Ep. VIII is more of an original story though.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #108
built2shred
Phoenix

With this type of movie your damned if you do and damned if you don't... It was the same thing with Man of Steel and Star Trek, change to much and this group gets upset, don't change it enough and the other group gets upset....

Lets be honest the story in the original Star Wars was pretty simple, same with Return of the Jedi.... I think Empire was the only movie that had some depth to the story....

I do find it Ironic that a Director that had no experience with Sci-Fi and was mostly a drama director was the person who did Empire Strikes Back and it turns out to be the best film. I'm thinking Disney might want to try the same thing on one of the future Star Wars movies... Sometimes people who only do one type of genre get stuck in a rut with their story telling. Sometimes you need someone outside the box to give a fresh perspective and story.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 AM   #109
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
With this type of movie your damned if you do and damned if you don't... It was the same thing with Man of Steel and Star Trek, change to much and this group gets upset, don't change it enough and the other group gets upset....

Lets be honest the story in the original Star Wars was pretty simple, same with Return of the Jedi.... I think Empire was the only movie that had some depth to the story....

I do find it Ironic that a Director that had no experience with Sci-Fi and was mostly a drama director was the person who did Empire Strikes Back and it turns out to be the best film. I'm thinking Disney might want to try the same thing on one of the future Star Wars movies...
they pretty much are with Rian Johnson who only has Looper under his belt in the Sci-Fi Genre
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:14 AM   #110
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I think a completely original film would have been awesome as well, and I have no doubt we'll get that film soon. I'm alright with this being a "greatest hits" type movie. It's not a reboot, but more of deja-boot (yes, I just invented that!) Star Wars has always been about mirroring and recurring themes etc. maybe they went a little further with that than necessary, but I'm fine with it this time around. I'm hoping Ep. VIII is more of an original story though.
That's my hope as well. Great thing is we only have a year and a half to wait.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote