Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-14-2023, 06:56 PM   #101
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
This just isn't supposed to be a hobby at all.

Remember how rare statues used to be? Very scarce. 1-2 per year and 10 years later you don't feel like a wasteful fool.
Yeah, I enjoy reading old threads and its kind of amazing how this all evolved. What I wish I had done was to buy a couple pieces of my favorite things and left it at that. Having a large collection is kind of a PITA and thats also when you realize how much you poured into it. I say that knowing that today I just spent close to $300 for my Peacemaker figure that came it at BBTS. I think the figure looks incredible, but its also the lamest Charlton hero that DC acquired, so it just feels weird to spend the cash so ambivalently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
Yea I totally get this!!!!!!!
In my Avengers set up, I use the Kotobukyia small Ant Man riding the winged ant that comes with the Ant Man 1/10 th scale pvc figure.
The Hot Toys is like that too. Except its so small, its easily lost on the shelf. Honestly I kind of forget I even have it most of the time.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:08 PM   #102
Onewiththeforce
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Yeah, I enjoy reading old threads and its kind of amazing how this all evolved. What I wish I had done was to buy a couple pieces of my favorite things and left it at that. Having a large collection is kind of a PITA and thats also when you realize how much you poured into it. I say that knowing that today I just spent close to $300 for my Peacemaker figure that came it at BBTS. I think the figure looks incredible, but its also the lamest Charlton hero that DC acquired, so it just feels weird to spend the cash so ambivalently.

The Hot Toys is like that too. Except its so small, its easily lost on the shelf. Honestly I kind of forget I even have it most of the time.
I totally can see that. Here is my solution to an inexpensive Hank Pym/Scott Lang to go with the Avengers. LOL!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ant1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	166651   Click image for larger version

Name:	ant2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	166652   Click image for larger version

Name:	ant3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	166653  
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:31 PM   #103
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Oh we all play the fool no one is exempt.
Love collecting but you can love anything too much.

For me this is more a passion than a hobby. As a hobby it's really more about discipline and moderation.

Most hobbies are foolish, especially spending large amounts of time or money on unproductive selfish pursuits.

I prefer to recognize the good and bad as well as perspectives of those from the outside looking in not so as to bot be too self absorbed but if the good (or my own selfishness) didn't outweigh the bad I would not still be here for sure. Keeps things in check.
This is me this time around with my collection. More discipline in everything that I purchase for the collection. I like to sit on it for while or a few days now before pulling hitting that purchase button. I think this is the case with most collectors that first get into the hobby. You really don't have a direction and you're just buying up everything (at least back then when statues were a lot cheaper) just to add to your collection. Which after some time passes and you start the figure out the direction in which you'd like to see your collection grow. That's when you start to take account all the wasted money spent on certain statues in your collection that just no longer fit in the direction you're growing your collection.

The only difference today is those statues cost much, much more.

I think the more that you become a seasoned collector you have less and less of those "regret" purchases. Steeper price tags also help a lot to not make regrettable purchases.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 PM   #104
Onewiththeforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLungs31 View Post
This is me this time around with my collection. More discipline in everything that I purchase for the collection. I like to sit on it for while or a few days now before pulling hitting that purchase button. I think this is the case with most collectors that first get into the hobby. You really don't have a direction and you're just buying up everything (at least back then when statues were a lot cheaper) just to add to your collection. Which after some time passes and you start the figure out the direction in which you'd like to see your collection grow. That's when you start to take account all the wasted money spent on certain statues in your collection that just no longer fit in the direction you're growing your collection.

The only difference today is those statues cost much, much more.

I think the more that you become a seasoned collector you have less and less of those "regret" purchases. Steeper price tags also help a lot to not make regrettable purchases.

preach!
Old 12-15-2023, 12:33 AM   #105
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
If you lament over your collection as a whole, whether it be due to money or time or space occupied, or you keep calling yourself a fool, you are definitely doing something wrong. Pick a new hobby.

Yup, so true.

A hobby should make you happy. It's not a hobby if it fills you full of regrets.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:22 AM   #106
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Yup, so true.

A hobby should make you happy. It's not a hobby if it fills you full of regrets.
And I would add, that's not just for "hobbies". Going out to nice restaurants, traveling to different countries... it all costs money that you could likely use on something else (a fact I'm fully aware of without lamenting about it). But I do those things too because I enjoy them. Just like walking by my favorite statues in my livingroom, or feeding the too-expensive fish in my guest room.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #107
SONICobra
Batman

been doing this for a while and despite the frustrations, disappointments and even "regrets" i love the hobby and where my collection is at currently. i walk it every day and usually right before bed to unwind, it is my anti-stress. i love the old statues that remind me of where i was at that time in my life and i enjoy seeing the new stuff these companies and artists are doing today, even if its something i wont be adding to my collection. do what makes you happy and drop everything else that doesnt
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:01 AM   #108
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
And I would add, that's not just for "hobbies". Going out to nice restaurants, traveling to different countries... it all costs money that you could likely use on something else (a fact I'm fully aware of without lamenting about it). But I do those things too because I enjoy them. Just like walking by my favorite statues in my livingroom, or feeding the too-expensive fish in my guest room.
OOOO I wanna see pictures. I love pretty sal----er fish tanks

edit: I can't believe is cutout "Salt water". I guess you can't sayT W A t?:-)
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #109
Onewiththeforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post

Old 12-15-2023, 10:35 AM   #110
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post

Bahahaha!!
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote