Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #101
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief View Post
Who is your favourite Doctor, Jonathan? (A sentence that could work just as well without the question mark, I suspect...)
A good question JDH and not one I really have an answer for. I don't have a "favourite Doctor" as I think that all the Doctors had great stories and lame stories. So instead here's my list of each Doctor's favourite story.

First Doctor - The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Daleks in Trafalgar Square!!)
Second Doctor - The Web of Fear (Yeti in the London Underground!!)
Third Doctor - The Daemons (The Doctor faces his most terrifying foe to date - Morris Dancers!!)
Fourth Doctor - The Talons of Weng-Chiang (Victorian London, magicians, a murderous ventriloquist's dummy, giant rats!!)
Fifth Doctor - The Caves of Androzani (Peter Davison's last story, heroically sacrificing another regeneration to save his companion!!)
Sixth Doctor - The Mark of the Rani (Landmines that turn people into pantomime trees!! "Stand still Peri! The tree won't hurt you!")
Seventh Doctor - Remembrance of the Daleks (Ties back to the very first story, and Mr Bronson from Grange Hill is in it - scarier than the Daleks!!)
Eighth Doctor - As he was only in one televised adventure, which wasn't that good, I'll go with "The Burning" which is a novel. It isn't about the Doctor getting a urinary tract infection....
Ninth Doctor - The Empty Child ("Are you my mummy?" )
Tenth Doctor - School Reunion (never mind Sarah Jane Smith and K-9, a great meditation on the nature of the Doctor's relationship with his travelling companions. Plus, the Doctor goes undercover as a science teacher - how cool would it have been to have lessons with Doctor Who?!)
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #102
JLM

Oh, and apart from The Web of Fear (where the film footage has been lost) all of the above stories are on DVD, with the exception of The Daemons. While others around here may want a Man-Ape bust in 2007, I want The Daemons on DVD in 2007!!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #103
Underdog07
Hercules

I am late to the party on these new seasons but have pretty much caught up over the last 2 months. I enjoy the show and find it to be very well done. I'll definitely keep watching.

Do they ever explain the changing doctors are is it always suppossed to be one doctor played by different actors a la James Bond? I would say it is suppossed to be the same as Rose assuredly would have noticed a different person.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #104
JLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I am late to the party on these new seasons but have pretty much caught up over the last 2 months. I enjoy the show and find it to be very well done. I'll definitely keep watching.

Do they ever explain the changing doctors are is it always suppossed to be one doctor played by different actors a la James Bond? I would say it is suppossed to be the same as Rose assuredly would have noticed a different person.
It's the same person the whole time (bit like James Bond). The Doctor is from an alien race known as the Time Lords. When a Time Lord is close to death, they have the ability to "regenerate" and effectively replace the dying body with a new one. The story that follows a regeneration tends to include the Doctor trying to persuade the companion he is indeed the same person.

Check out this short scene to see the newly changed Tenth Doctor persuading Rose who he is. You can also see where I got my signature from:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHdR4PgeEQo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHdR4PgeEQo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Basically, it allows the show to continue with a completely different actor in the title role, but usually it gives writers a bit of fun too, as each Doctor has a different personality from the previous one, for example David Tennant's Doctor is much more flippant and immature than his more serious and grim predecessor.

It is worth mentioning the in the original series it was stated that Time Lords could only regenerate 12 times. If the show runs past the third series (being filmed at the moment) it remains to be seen if the limitation will be ignored or explained away.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #105
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

The 'Are You My Mummy' episode was a real highpoint.

Related question - favourite Who costume!

I always liked Davidson. At primary school, we did a wall display that involved us drawin all the ones up to then (Colin Baker).
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #106
JLM

I've always quite liked the fifth Doctor's cricketing outfit, probably because Peter Davison was the incumbent Doctor when I started watching.

I have to say I do like the current outfit. The suit/trainers just seem to capture the eccentricity of the character nicely. I'm not too sure about the blue suit for the upcoming series, but from the preview I posted earlier in the thread, I think that it is not used all the time.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #107
Underdog07
Hercules

This season has the same actor playing the doctor as last season, right?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #108
JLM

Quote:
This season has the same actor playing the doctor as last season, right?
If you mean the guy who I have a Year One rendition of in my signature, yes.

If you want lots of info about the show (both the classic and new series) the two best websites are:

The Official BBC website

Outpost Gallifrey

Outpost Gallifrey does have a forum, but I've been advised to stay away from it, as while being well run, some of the members have some worryingly militant views. It's very good for news though.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #109
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan74 View Post
If you mean the guy who I have a Year One rendition of in my signature, yes.

If you want lots of info about the show (both the classic and new series) the two best websites are:

The Official BBC website

Outpost Gallifrey

Outpost Gallifrey does have a forum, but I've been advised to stay away from it, as while being well run, some of the members have some worryingly militant views. It's very good for news though.
I read a lot of the BBC stuff. I watched the Baker years as a teen. Just saw the relaunch recently. Its well done and I enjoy it. Sci-Fi had it as the lead-in to Battlestar Galactica (which is one of the top 3 shows on TV). If you don't watch BSG you should give it a try.

Should I head to the Gallifrey Outpost and cause some trouble?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #110
JLM

Quote:
Should I head to the Gallifrey Outpost and cause some trouble?
Be my guest!!