Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #101
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
No problem Bruce, I thought it was amusing but was just pointing out.... ah, never mind Best,

Royd
gotcha

now a question - so what does AH currently charge for a commission is it 200 or 500 or some other number
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #102
Underdog07
Hercules

Just checked out the site with all of AH's sketches and I gotta say I would be in Drew's corner on this. Not many of the pics grabbed me and made me say "wow, I would like to pay several hundred bucks for that." In particular the 2 different Caps are very disappointing. Cap looks very small in the pics - geez he looks like he is built like me.

But, again, that kinda brings everything full circle on this discussion because my likes/dislikes are just that, mine. Which is why something like a paid commission is not always going to be given an after the fact decide if you want it. Everything is subjective about whether or not someone likes something and it isn't necessarily fair to make someone undertake a considerably amount of work and then snub your nose and stick them with the check. Which again is why I think it was upstanding of Byrne to not require MB to purchase the She-Hulk piece. And also, MB deseves credit for offering to buy it - albeit at a reduced price - even though MB did not really like the piece.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #103
Royd
Producer
Producer

Glad you (and others) enjoyed viewing the sketches I should clarify that the site is Adam's official website where there's information about his appearances, galleries etc.

The Lobo is a beauty and I can only imagine the big guy's reaction to his ice cream disaster - LOL! Not sure if he's done any other Lobo pics, I'll ask at the group and see if I can locate any. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlstrike View Post
Shoot I remember when Adam used to charge on $30 for a sketch. I was a teenager at the time (think it was around '96) at Tropic Comics in Florida. Their was no one their (6 people came out to se Adam). I wish I had the money back then but I was broke. What I do remember was that Adam was a really nice guy and funny too! Royd thanks for posting that link to your site. Killer Adam Hughes sketches in thier. I love the lobo on page 29. Has done any others of lobo? Loved to see more if he has...
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #104
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Underdog07,

He currently charges $200 for a con sketch. I know people use con sketch and commission to describe the same thing but a genuine commission would cost along the same lines as Marvelboi's Byrne She-Hulk montage piece.

As for your comment about not liking the sketches, that's a personal preference and I have absolutely no problem with that I'm just responding (nicely) to Drew's statements about productivity and overall quality of Adam's con sketch work. Drew and I will obviously have to agree to disagree - heheh. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
gotcha

now a question - so what does AH currently charge for a commission is it 200 or 500 or some other number
Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #105
Royd
Producer
Producer

Well, he usually does between 10-15 sketches per con and this was a representative and very recent example of that output. I can probably find more As for Allison, she was with him at Megacon the whole week-end.

Please note that I'm not arguing about personal preferences regarding Adam's work, just trying to put forward as accurate a point of view as possible in as polite/courteous a way as possible. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
This is an exception to the rule. If I recall correctly, Allison wasn't with him at that show
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #106
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I've not seen an really crappy Hughes sketches. I have seen him put a character in a certain light that I would not like. Such as Black Cat ripping her shirt open, or Spider-Woman breasts all funky. As far as the art itself they usually look pretty good, and are well worth $200
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #107
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Well, he usually does between 10-15 sketches per con and this was a representative and very recent example of that output. I can probably find more As for Allison, she was with him at Megacon the whole week-end.

Please note that I'm not arguing about personal preferences regarding Adam's work, just trying to put forward as accurate a point of view as possible in as polite/courteous a way as possible. Best,

Royd
The way I heard it was that she was up in NJ that weekend.

As for Adam "usually" doing 10-15 sketches per show, this must be a new development. His latest Emerald City Con certainly didn't keep pace. I know, I know, he was "sick". Is that how he refers to staying in the hotel to finish up covers he's late on???
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #108
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
The way I heard it was that she was up in NJ that weekend.

As for Adam "usually" doing 10-15 sketches per show, this must be a new development. His latest Emerald City Con certainly didn't keep pace. I know, I know, he was "sick". Is that how he refers to staying in the hotel to finish up covers he's late on???
LOL Damn, Drew you got some kinda beef with Adam? You seem a little bitter. Did he not get to your sketch or something? Do we really need to rag on anyone? I'm sure there's a guy (artist) that's irritated us at one ime or another, but we don't need to get personal.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #109
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
LOL Damn, Drew you got some kinda beef with Adam? You seem a little bitter. Did he not get to your sketch or something? Do we really need to rag on anyone? I'm sure there's a guy (artist) that's irritated us at one ime or another, but we don't need to get personal.
Hehe, nothing to do with liking the guy or not. Adam's actually one of the nicest artists I've ever spoken with. His girlfriend, well, thats another story.... But Adam is NOTORIOUS for being slow and behind schedule on projects. I don't make any of this stuff up, I talk with people who are big fans and also people who work for DC in editorial.

I only tried to get a sketch once from Adam and it wasn't even for me (still took me something like 4 tries to get it).
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #110
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Hehe, nothing to do with liking the guy or not. Adam's actually one of the nicest artists I've ever spoken with. His girlfriend, well, thats another story.... But Adam is NOTORIOUS for being slow and behind schedule on projects. I don't make any of this stuff up, I talk with people who are big fans and also people who work for DC in editorial.

I only tried to get a sketch once from Adam and it wasn't even for me (still took me something like 4 tries to get it).
Only 4..not bad..sadly. Yeah, I do know what your'e talking about. I have heard stories from some cons where's only been able to knock out 4 or 5 sketches. Not a great output for a 3 day show. Ultimately though, it comes with the territory when dealing with artists. We're flaky, unpredictable folk. I've heard that one of Adam's biggest problems with getting sketches done is his inability to stop chatting with con goers. Hell, I think that's a great thing. I don't know much about Allison though. Could be cool..could be a *****. Couldn't tell you. I have always wondered if that was her job though. Under occupation it says Adam Hughes' girlfriend. She does seem to be everywhere he is. Makes me wonder. Is she like that chick in Misery.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote