Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-29-2023, 08:42 AM   #1131
Billy Talent
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronskimomo View Post
Spec has the Mera statues in the warehouse. They start to ship on Monday!
LET"S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-1-75345f260b.gif
Views:	35
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	163941  
Billy Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #1132
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Thx for your patience everyone!
Old 08-07-2023, 01:33 AM   #1133
pdenham
Teen Titans

So apparently Spec has shipped some (all?) of theirs out already as Flankster has put up his video for it.

I messaged Todd last Friday saying I was ready to settle up with this. I just needed a new invoice that reflected some credit I was owed (and which we hashed out back in June).

Nada. Haven't heard a word since beyond the automated reply that they received the message.

I also noticed that while this was listed as "sold out" a couple months back, there is now one available. While it's easy to imagine someone cancelling at the last minute, I'm sure hoping that isn't mine that is listed as "available" because if it is, and it sells, I'm going to be quite ticked off.

N/M. Called up and straightened everything out over the phone just now and got the new invoice.

This has gone to waitlist over at Spec.
So much for the anti-Heard backlash putting a crimp on sales.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #1134
The Merovingian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Incoming - JND Mera

Just received mine yesterday. The sculpt and detailing of this example is truly special. IMHO, I think JND captured the essence of this character from the movie, as it has a really striking presence. Congrats to the collectors who ordered this piece; this statue will not disappoint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mera11.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	164117   Click image for larger version

Name:	mera12.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	164118   Click image for larger version

Name:	mera14.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	164119  
The Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:45 PM   #1135
pdenham
Teen Titans

Looks great, Merovingian!

Although I'll probably find out next week, I'm curious how hard those curls are. Do you think they could be worked apart or softened with water, and then restyled? Or do feel like they've been doused in some more permanent kind of fixative?
Old 08-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #1136
The Merovingian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Looks great, Merovingian!

Although I'll probably find out next week, I'm curious how hard those curls are. Do you think they could be worked apart or softened with water, and then restyled? Or do feel like they've been doused in some more permanent kind of fixative?
Thank you pdenham and congrats on ordering this exquisite piece.

That's a good question! Looking at her hair, it looks like JND used some type of light styling mousse (I could be wrong) and added "holding spray" before it left the factory.

I will give you my take.......IMHO, I think if JND meant for her hair to be combed through they would have included a comb with the statue like they did with the Selina Kyle (Catwoman) statue. Since they didn't include a comb (at least with my statue), I don't think her hair was meant to be worked apart.

That's not to say that you can't work her hair apart and add mousse or other types of products to curl it back to its original form, but unfortunately, for me, that would require styling skills beyond my scope.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:42 PM   #1137
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merovingian View Post
Thank you pdenham and congrats on ordering this exquisite piece.

That's a good question! Looking at her hair, it looks like JND used some type of light styling mousse (I could be wrong) and added "holding spray" before it left the factory.

I will give you my take.......IMHO, I think if JND meant for her hair to be combed through they would have included a comb with the statue like they did with the Selina Kyle (Catwoman) statue. Since they didn't include a comb (at least with my statue), I don't think her hair was meant to be worked apart.

That's not to say that you can't work her hair apart and add mousse or other types of products to curl it back to its original form, but unfortunately, for me, that would require styling skills beyond my scope.

Hope that helps.
Didn't realize I'd never thanked you for the reply .

From what I can tell it doesn't feel like there is much of any product in there at all. A faint residue on the fingers, and that may be more at the ends to keep them from splitting or fraying- or it could just be my imagination
(edit- yup. There's is definitely something in the hair at the end. Combing out the ends springs all these strands loose, making them much harder to manage).

Had the hair on mine looked as ordered and attractively styled as Merovingian's (honestly, one of the best examples I've seen so far), I may be been more hesitant to mess around with it. Unfortunately, there were already some stray fibers that were wild and unmanageable, so I figured "what the hell", and dove right in and began rubbing a bunch of the locks apart.

After all this futzing, It's definitely more wild now. I do like the volume and more natural massing that has resulted - much more than those out of scale locks that JND had styled into it. Especially at a normal viewing distance and with diffuse room light. Close up, it looks more like I've made a good mess of it . Not too concerned just yet. I expect it to take some trial and error to figure out, but I look forward to eventually getting it down for future reference.

The photos below are only to compare the hair out of the box and after some comb thru, to show what you're going to be in for if you try it. I wish I had the equipment and facility to take some glamour pics, but nope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	merahair outofthebox.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	164271   Click image for larger version

Name:	merahairafter.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	164272  
Old 08-16-2023, 10:34 PM   #1138
The Merovingian

Quote:
Didn't realize I'd never thanked you for the reply .

From what I can tell it doesn't feel like there is much of any product in there at all. A faint residue on the fingers, and that may be more at the ends to keep them from splitting or fraying- or it could just be my imagination
(edit- yup. There's is definitely something in the hair at the end. Combing out the ends springs all these strands loose, making them much harder to manage).

Had the hair on mine looked as ordered and attractively styled as Merovingian's (honestly, one of the best examples I've seen so far), I may be been more hesitant to mess around with it. Unfortunately, there were already some stray fibers that were wild and unmanageable, so I figured "what the hell", and dove right in and began rubbing a bunch of the locks apart.

After all this futzing, It's definitely more wild now. I do like the volume and more natural massing that has resulted - much more than those out of scale locks that JND had styled into it. Especially at a normal viewing distance and with diffuse room light. Close up, it looks more like I've made a good mess of it . Not too concerned just yet. I expect it to take some trial and error to figure out, but I look forward to eventually getting it down for future reference.

The photos below are only to compare the hair out of the box and after some comb thru, to show what you're going to be in for if you try it. I wish I had the equipment and facility to take some glamour pics, but nope.
Thank you.

Looking good pdenham! Congrats on receiving yours!
Old 08-16-2023, 10:45 PM   #1139
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks!

I probably already said it and edited it away- but seeing one of these up close, the effect IS truly uncanny.

Outside of the hair on this one, the level of realism here is quite nuts.
Old 08-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #1140
The Merovingian

Quote:
Thanks!

I probably already said it and edited it away- but seeing one of these up close, the effect IS truly uncanny.

Outside of the hair on this one, the level of realism here is quite nuts.
Absolutely! The hyper realism of these JND statues have pushed the boundaries of sculpting and using silicon. IMHO, Mera and Selina Kyle are literally on a different plateau all together. These statues could have been used as marketing "reference props" during the actual production of the movies for these characters.