Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #1151
adee
Green Arrow

He's growing on me. I like it much more in videos.

I just wanna play with the cape!

Lucky for me I can prolly get one very cheap being you all hate it.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #1152
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
He's growing on me. I like it much more in videos.

I just wanna play with the cape!

Lucky for me I can prolly get one very cheap being you all hate it.
Cheers, brother!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #1153
ZenLogikos
Black Panther
Adamantium Member

Pose 7/10 - (standard)
Costume design 5/10 - (arbitrary design decisions/changes don't resonate with me that well; I'm open to them - thought XM's did well here)
Anatomy 7/10 - (pecs definition is too sharp; I don't mind the Fassbender physique though)
Base 8/10 - (I like it, robot does not automatically = toy to me)
Paint app 5/10 - (really the low point for me; contributes most to the toy/action figure vibe (thanks forps!); metals need to look more metallic, other materials need to look less plastic/vinyl and more leather/cloth; I'm open to mixed-media cape, but right now it looks a little cheap, nylon?)

I think I'm talking myself out of it...

...but, the paint app is the easiest to change (assuming it's even accurate, from amateur photos, under Con lighting). So there's that.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #1154
wolf-brother
Captain Marvel

No need to be talked out of it here. This PF doesn't elicit any feeling except disappointment for me. Totally unhappy with this endeavor. Easy pass.
wolf-brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #1155
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
if you dont like the paint, just say you dont like the paint. how should a sentinel head look?
90% is the paint, but this is a COMMON problem for a character with Magneto's classic colours. NOTHING related to Magneto gives me a "statue-vibe". Iron Studio's, Xionart's, XM's all have a NON-statue vibe. Sideshow's also gives a STRONG toy vibe. Its the damn colours (his costume, his cape) that are difficult for a human being (us and people outside of this hobby) to relate them with something "serious" and statue-ish looking. PERIOD.

Nevertheless, Sideshow can STILL save this. There is no reason to try and MIMIC XM-style. XM was clever to have him sitting down with his cape virtually hidden on the throne but STILL. He always gives me a toy-ish vibe as a character. Thanos on Throne was marvellous, with 2 basic colours (not fancy ones) and lots of shading, details etc. Magneto is a different beast and i BET that David (Igo) and Will recognized this as soon as Magneto got painted. From a masterpiece to a "meh" sculpt in seconds. Some possible solutions?

1) Beef him up (he is rather skinny), 2) Change his upper torso and 3) CHANGE THE BASE, it gives a strong TOY-FIGURE- PLASTIC vibe.

Obviously the paint DESTROYED the sculpt underneath (i wrote this 3 times), but there are many things that Sideshow has to change. Of course, Magneto is a difficult character to give him the "statue-treatment" as i mentioned before, but this means nothing. If you cant get a nice PAINTED sculpt, then scrap everything and give him a museum pose instead. It would be MILES better than this. I know that 99,99999% of YOU will mock forps ("a museum pose again, dude ? Too boring, dude!!"), but if Sideshow saw that this was looking bad painted, it would be nice to scrap it and make something more museum-like with a SIMPLE one-coloured base to tone down Magneto's costume and bring down the TOYISH factor of his costume.

A simple black base or concrete in order not to give it a TOY-ISH vibe and then tone down all of its elements that give Magneto an intrinsic cartoon-ish vibe. NO OTHER WAY this could be saved. A simple base, a beefier body, an improved upper torso and a better overall paint and this could be saved. Or scrap this completely and start again.

SONICobra, you said it with few words (its mainly the colours and the paint), i gave a FULL insight. It is still an ok statue, but NO WAY forps is going to lie for anything. Im always 100% objective and noone can influence my opinion (i have no financial interest, im not connected with any company). This is a letdown, its not crap (whereas Batman LSF is), so if you like it, im not going to tell you not to. Its my personal opinion, though i admit, a rather powerful one.
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #1156
Luminous
Cyclops

OrangeCrush's posts seem like a gentle breeze compared to the current state of affairs.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #1157
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
90% is the paint, but this is a COMMON problem for a character with Magneto's classic colours. NOTHING related to Magneto gives me a "statue-vibe". Iron Studio's, Xionart's, XM's all have a NON-statue vibe. Sideshow's also gives a STRONG toy vibe. Its the damn colours (his costume, his cape) that are difficult for a human being (us and people outside of this hobby) to relate them with something "serious" and statue-ish looking. PERIOD.

Nevertheless, Sideshow can STILL save this. There is no reason to try and MIMIC XM-style. XM was clever to have him sitting down with his cape virtually hidden on the throne but STILL. He always gives me a toy-ish vibe as a character. Thanos on Throne was marvellous, with 2 basic colours (not fancy ones) and lots of shading, details etc. Magneto is a different beast and i BET that David (Igo) and Will recognized this as soon as Magneto got painted. From a masterpiece to a "meh" sculpt in seconds. Some possible solutions?

1) Beef him up (he is rather skinny), 2) Change his upper torso and 3) CHANGE THE BASE, it gives a strong TOY-FIGURE- PLASTIC vibe.

Obviously the paint DESTROYED the sculpt underneath (i wrote this 3 times), but there are many things that Sideshow has to change. Of course, Magneto is a difficult character to give him the "statue-treatment" as i mentioned before, but this means nothing. If you cant get a nice PAINTED sculpt, then scrap everything and give him a museum pose instead. It would be MILES better than this. I know that 99,99999% of YOU will mock forps ("a museum pose again, dude ? Too boring, dude!!"), but if Sideshow saw that this was looking bad painted, it would be nice to scrap it and make something more museum-like with a SIMPLE one-coloured base to tone down Magneto's costume and bring down the TOYISH factor of his costume.

A simple black base or concrete in order not to give it a TOY-ISH vibe and then tone down all of its elements that give Magneto an intrinsic cartoon-ish vibe. NO OTHER WAY this could be saved. A simple base, a beefier body, an improved upper torso and a better overall paint and this could be saved. Or scrap this completely and start again.

SONICobra, you said it with few words (its mainly the colours and the paint), i gave a FULL insight. It is still an ok statue, but NO WAY forps is going to lie for anything. Im always 100% objective and noone can influence my opinion (i have no financial interest, im not connected with any company). This is a letdown, its not crap (whereas Batman LSF is), so if you like it, im not going to tell you not to. Its my personal opinion, though i admit, a rather powerful one.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #1158
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
OrangeCrush's posts seem like a gentle breeze compared to the current state of affairs.
this you need boots and shovel for.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #1159
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I'll take forps 7 days a week.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #1160
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Can we just have an entire thread dedicated to Alison Brie gifs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
this you need boots and shovel for.
Agreed.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote