Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #1171
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Think not bothering with an ES would be best. I can see why they wouldn't want to announce all variants, reissues, etc. from the very beginning as it could hurt business (and they probably want a decent number of sales on the first run in case that's all there is), but if there's no ES, at least customers would be fully aware of the possibility that there could be more later. In other words, what Hot Toys does.
This works in theory, but usually for collectibles that are in a much more moderate size and price bracket, not something as expensive as this piece or as large.

Take for example what Weta now does with their Classics line, which are Open ES. They order them in batches and sell in batches. When they decide they don't want to sell any more they cease making batches. We don't know what the ES is, but it doesn't really matter as the collectible is a moderate price and size and doesn't take up a ton of storage space in a warehouse.

Something as grandiose as this Alien in both size and price can't sustain that business model as once you get into the $1k+ market, the collectors who are buying these pieces are absolutely going to take into consideration the rarity before making a purchase.

Let's face it, a lot of guys here would never buy this for $2k if it was listed as an Open ES from the start. The mindset on that would always be, "eh, I want it but I'll wait for a sale down the road or buy it locally secondhand". So the rush to order would never come and Prime 1 would be sitting on large amounts of boxes eating up inventory space should they have gone that route.

Instead, Prime 1 is simply trying to claw back profit and get out of the red from what is likely a failed venture with their first go around. I don't condone it BTW.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #1172
Blade3327
Nightwing

I guess that makes sense. We've already seen that "wait for a sale" mindset with the 1/4 City Hunter and that one still hasn't sold out.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #1173
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
so i was thinking the action pose all the way, i thought the museum pose looked a little silly.

but your pics convinced me otherwise. This looks incredible. The suit in this lifeless pose against that wall. Getting such a clear unobstructed shot of this creature in this scale with this level of detail and finishing, is kinda sexy especially because we could hardly see the thing on screen. this pose kinda of removes the terror out of the creature so you can just marvel at the design the action pose looks alive like a still grabbed from the film but in this mannequin pose, but i feel like i can enjoy the creature design a little bit more.

there is no wrong way to way, action, museum, wall no wall. this is a killer piece.
Thank you

I'm normally an action pose guy too, but this one just fit better in how and where I wanted to display him. Honestly, in person he looks like he just snuck up behind me from a crouch, stood up to max height and power, and any second now will lunge forward to chomp on my brain . So while it's techinically "museum posed" you can actually still look like it's also mid-action as well.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:07 PM   #1174
Blade3327
Nightwing

Thinking about the situation more. It's true that some collectors would rather wait for a sale if there's no sense of urgency. But there are those who really do value the rarity of these things. To them, the rarity not only creates urgency to buy, but makes the piece worth owning even if they have no intention of reselling.

Anyone who feels that way, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is: you've got a statue in front of you, you think it's overpriced, there are some elements you're not crazy about, but the clincher -- the factor that makes those other issues digestible -- is the fact that it has a low ES. In other words, you wouldn't buy the piece on its own merit, but because fewer people can own this overpriced piece you're not fully committed to, that makes it feel better to commit? Because at least it's hard to find?

Call me new-agey, but I just don't understand that approach. That's something I got out of my system fairly early in my collecting journey because I realized how much money I was wasting with it. My views these days are admittedly more cynical and somewhat detached (in the sense that I can separate what a piece means to me from the company that made it), but I've got a better relationship with my collection and my wallet to show for it.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:48 PM   #1175
qz33
Baron Zemo

If the artificial scarcity of these statues makes them more desirable what about the fragility?

We all know this game ain't worth the money. How far each of us is willing to fool ourselves is a personal decision.

Quote:
Thinking about the situation more. It's true that some collectors would rather wait for a sale if there's no sense of urgency. But there are those who really do value the rarity of these things. To them, the rarity not only creates urgency to buy, but makes the piece worth owning even if they have no intention of reselling.

Anyone who feels that way, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is: you've got a statue in front of you, you think it's overpriced, there are some elements you're not crazy about, but the clincher -- the factor that makes those other issues digestible -- is the fact that it has a low ES. In other words, you wouldn't buy the piece on its own merit, but because fewer people can own this overpriced piece you're not fully committed to, that makes it feel better to commit? Because at least it's hard to find?

Call me new-agey, but I just don't understand that approach. That's something I got out of my system fairly early in my collecting journey because I realized how much money I was wasting with it. My views these days are admittedly more cynical and somewhat detached (in the sense that I can separate what a piece means to me from the company that made it), but I've got a better relationship with my collection and my wallet to show for it.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #1176
Blue_Liquid
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
Why does it seem like the people who actually have the statue sitting in from of them, love the wall and the people who just stare at pictures hate it? Lol...
This was/is exactly the case for me. When I had this pre-ordered from SC, I thought the wall was terrible and I was absolutely sure I was going to display it without the wall. Then once I had it in-hand, I decided to just see, before I stashed it away in storage forever, and man I was wrong. The wall absolutely makes it, totally enhances the overall look and feel of this. And believe me when I say, this has nothing to do with me being salty about wanting the newer version or whatever: I picked up both the deluxe and museum versions, and I have them both displayed with their wall currently. I tried displaying without it, but it just isn't the same. This isnt to say that the new wall-less version wont also be amazing, it surely will, and displaying it without the wall still looks badass. But to your point here, I really believe that the wall needs to be seen to be enjoyed, its presence 'felt'. It adds a layer of dynamics to the whole thing. The original without the wall doesnt display poorly imho. It doesnt feel like something is missing back there. But for me, you have to see it in person to truly appreciate that it works and was a good idea that executed well.
Blue_Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #1177
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
If the artificial scarcity of these statues makes them more desirable what about the fragility?
That's another problem. Many collectors have this idea that weight = quality. It doesn't. Polystone is cheaper, more brittle, and doesn't take as much detail as purer resins. Even PVC can be more reliable from both a durability and an aesthetic standpoint.

But the idea of producing a light-weight statue, especially in PVC, is sacrilege. People would rather have something that weighs a ton, shatters when it falls, and chips when you so much as breathe on it.

Imagine if this Big Chap statue were made of PVC with metal support rods to prevent sagging. Same incredible sculpt, same great paintjob, even the same ES, but with a weight that could be supported by any hard surface and an $800 price tag. How would that do on the market? I know Medicom has a 23" vinyl Alien statue on Sideshow right now that's been on sale for $725 for several months, but the sculpt isn't nearly as good as this and the paint is terrible.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #1178
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
Everyone keeps saying the "sold out" edition size of 999, but I can't believe that's true.

Do we also think the limited edition closed mouth Predator 1 bust also is sold out already?....No, we don't.

I honestly don't think there will be 999 DXS pieces out in the wild.
No it was very quick to waitlist bcs they are allocated at wholesale and many lage shops. But tbh think it is almost fully PO'ed atm, bcs sinds few weeks many of these shops have put it on 'sold out / their allocation is full'. My best guess is ES will become around 1850 to 2000 all three versions combined.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #1179
marker2037

Quote:

I don't think this is the norm, far from it, and actually a poor example. If someone was using a collecting mentality similar to that, I think it would be more along the lines of: you've got a statue in front of you, you think it's terrific and perfectly executed, it was expensive but worth the cost, has a low ES, but the one thing -- you don't have any sort of emotional connection to the property/license.

This happens all the time I find. People fall in love with the art and because of the low ES, they decide that it's worth owning themselves. The RARITY pushes them over the edge on something they don't have any sort of emotional or childhood attachment to, and because they love the art and they see the exclusivity of it, the piece now holds value to them.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:27 PM   #1180
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
That's another problem. Many collectors have this idea that weight = quality. It doesn't. Polystone is cheaper, more brittle, and doesn't take as much detail as purer resins. Even PVC can be more reliable from both a durability and an aesthetic standpoint.

But the idea of producing a light-weight statue, especially in PVC, is sacrilege. People would rather have something that weighs a ton, shatters when it falls, and chips when you so much as breathe on it.

Imagine if this Big Chap statue were made of PVC with metal support rods to prevent sagging. Same incredible sculpt, same great paintjob, even the same ES, but with a weight that could be supported by any hard surface and an $800 price tag. How would that do on the market? I know Medicom has a 23" vinyl Alien statue on Sideshow right now that's been on sale for $725 for several months, but the sculpt isn't nearly as good as this and the paint is terrible.
If I can lift a $725 statue with two fingers, then it's a rip off. It's just common sense to me. The heavier the statue, the better. I want to go damn, that's heavy when I pick it up. You feel like you're getting your money's worth when it's got good weight to it. Some people complain, "well it could break my thin glass shelf"......but I say to them, that's your problem. Buy something better to display it on.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote