Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 04-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #111
Doctor Pym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Some people don't like this piece and I can't fathom why. This is the Hulk as he has looked for the majority of his existence as a character and no one can convince me otherwise.

That statue has a lot going for it. What doesn't work for me is the pose. It's a powerful but clueless move that emphasizes the Hulk's stupidity. If he connects first, or slams his fists into the earth, it's a devastating move, but while he's setting it up, his centerline is wide open.

I also passed on the Sideshow Hulk, in part because he just looks so dull-witted. The Hulk's IQ has varied a lot, and it's a matter of preference... I like him best when he's smarter than the average pre-schooler, but in no danger of having advanced calculus students asking him for help on their homework.

I've got the original Bowen Hulk FS (Shiflett sculpt), and it displays well with the Abomination, but it's not perfect, either... from the front, the face looks a little off, and the angle on his cocked fist never looked quite right to me.

I like the Hard Hero Hulk sculpt, color and pose a lot... the only thing that kept me from buying it is the "shaved temples" look.

The new Retro Hulk from Bowen looks like it could be exactly what I want.

Your mileage may vary...
Doctor Pym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #112
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I have the hard hero one and i love it. I think the quality of the HH statues that came out were very good and that is why i have 8 of them. (i do have statues from other companies too )
However i must say i do have a soft spot for the bowen smackdown one and have been trying to get one for a while. I will keep trying.
Judgemental call like this you will always get heated discussion which is good, it just disappoints me that some take there views a bit too far with their critism of other companies like saying that bowen make others look piss poor. Just my view
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #113
Doctor Pym
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Judgemental call like this you will always get heated discussion which is good, it just disappoints me that some take there views a bit too far with their critism of other companies. Just my view
I agree. The quality of sculpts by all three of these companies — Bowen, Hard Hero and Sideshow — is light-years ahead of most of what was available 15 years ago (mostly in toys and garage kits). BD, HH and SS have all done beautiful pieces, and it's hard to take when people get so jaded and critical that they can't appreciate a 95, because it's not a 99 (in their opinion.)

I can see the appeal of the "smackdown" Hulk, and the fact is, if I could buy every piece I like, I'd own that one, too. In fact, if it were the only Hulk FS statue available, I'd not only buy it... I'd pay quite a bit more than the original price, to get it. Good luck in getting yours at a good price, and enjoy it when you've got it.
Doctor Pym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #114
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

The hunt is still on for it doc, one day i am sure i will get it. The problem is the postage to australia.
It is a killer as the smackdown one is not light
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #115
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
The hunt is still on for it doc, one day i am sure i will get it. The problem is the postage to australia.
It is a killer as the smackdown one is not light
join us over in the aussie thread ... you might find a helping hand with finding a smackdown Hulk

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #116
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

someone post a hardhero grey hulk. I always tought this was the best grey hulk out there
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #117
jsnchrry
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

[Here's the Hard Hero Hulk...

You know I finally figured out what it is about this hulk i dont like, besides the haircut...its the plasticy look of it. Too me it just looks cheap looking.That my biggest problem with a lot of statues made by HH and a few others.
jsnchrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #118
sylvan

Thanks jadegiant for the idea, i will follow it up and see how i go
Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 AM   #119
El Pulento
The InJustice League

The HH Hulk does have a little plastic feeling to it when you look at it in pics. That feeling totally goes away when you have it in your hand and feel the weight of the statue, The HH Hulk is a fantastic piece. The DST Hulk has a more stone feeling to it and also a fantastic statue. I say get them all!!! aaalll!!!! hehehehe

El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #120
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

After giving it months if not years of consideration I went with the DST Hulk and it is just awesome. The base alone has a better paint job and more detail than most of my beloved DCD pieces.

The other reason I went with this Hulk is that he has elements of both the classic and modern interpretaions of the Hulk. That and he has the "Gary Frank" look which I have always loved.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote