Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #1261
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
Still no edition size on this...it's been a month or so.
I'm pretty sure they got plenty of orders in. Can we get a number.
They plan to probably make 5,000 or more of these still TBD and does it surprise anyone? It's supposed to be a Limited Edition Statue.
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #1262
Aphotic
A day without sunshine is like... night.

5000 is still technically limited...
Aphotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #1263
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic View Post
5000 is still technically limited...
We don't use logic or or proper definitions here. To statue collectors "limited" means "this will sell out in 48 hours and make me a bunch of money on Ebay later".
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #1264
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

It's pretty simply. Use older SS pieces as an example.

If they wanna make 5,000 then their going the DC Direct route.

DC Direct pieces also cost alot less than SS pieces. They have to sell tons more to barely make any money. Just do the math.

I know many people like myself prefer to see a lower ES than seeing them flood the market with way to many. But hey maybe I'm the only person who wants this.

The more they make the more issues QC wise it's obvious (Batman PF). It's also obvious the more they make the cheaper it costs them to produce so more money in their pocket.

Again were not in Wal-Mart and this ain't the Toy Section.
Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #1265
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
We don't use logic or or proper definitions here. To statue collectors "limited" means "this will sell out in 48 hours and make me a bunch of money on Ebay later".
Yup. You're right on the money. You like this piece then pull the trigger already.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #1266
COI

There are statues from years ago, mostly 1/6, that had 5000+ runs as was standard, and you barely see them for sale now. Why? Because over time demand is elastic but supply isn't, and after a sufficient period of time pieces get absorbed into the market.

I don't know how many is "too many" for any given piece, because unlike most collectors, apparently I lack the psychic ability to perceive the demand side of the supply/demand equation.

When the Batman PF was put up for pre-order, they blazed through 2000 EXs in 48 hours and there were so many people on the waitlist that they had to cancel the waitlist too. Why? Because at that point, the market was starved for a good 1/4 scale Batman piece. If that remained the only 1/4 scale Batman on the market to this day, they would have sold out a long time ago, just like how Wonder Woman, with an equal number of pieces, has sold out, QC issues and all.

If this piece remains sufficiently unique in the market, and is produced with good quality, in the long run demand will catch up with supply. But if every company decides they have to do a Wolverine vs Hulk dio too and 5 more appear on the market, this piece will probably tank. So there's much more to take into consideration than just the raw number, in determining what a good, "collectible" number is for a piece. Demand, comparable pieces, market conditions, etc.

I think the biggest thing threatening the "collectibility" of all these pieces is the rate at which these companies are churning stuff out. So not the depth of the market (ES) but the breadth as well (number of unique pieces available). Older Sideshow pieces didn't do well JUST because the edition size was lower; they were also the only game in town. When you have 3 companies making Venoms and a single company making 700 Batmans, edition size is only one of many things to be concerned about.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #1267
Aphotic
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I'm fairly certain that defines life in general nowadays.
Aphotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #1268
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
They plan to probably make 5,000 or more of these still TBD and does it surprise anyone? It's supposed to be a Limited Edition Statue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
It's pretty simply. Use older SS pieces as an example.

If they wanna make 5,000 then their going the DC Direct route.

DC Direct pieces also cost alot less than SS pieces. They have to sell tons more to barely make any money. Just do the math.

I know many people like myself prefer to see a lower ES than seeing them flood the market with way to many. But hey maybe I'm the only person who wants this.

The more they make the more issues QC wise it's obvious (Batman PF). It's also obvious the more they make the cheaper it costs them to produce so more money in their pocket.

Again were not in Wal-Mart and this ain't the Toy Section.
It's all swings and roundabouts mate.

Take for example, the Sideshow Robocop PF from back in the 'good old days' . . . . I think the ES on that was around 300 you'd probably be lucky to get back what you paid for it today. Which has nothing to do with ES and everything to do with newer, better versions of Robocop being released by Enterbay, Hot Toys, PCS, Chronicle.

And don't forget, comic culture has seen a huge upswing in popularity over the past few years. What used to be a niche for a few geeks and nerds has become very mainstream so there is a much bigger market than there used to be.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #1269
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

It's nice to have the wisdom of Nidgit back on the forum. Welcome back mate!
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #1270
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
It's nice to have the wisdom of Nidgit back on the forum. Welcome back mate!
Thanks mate . . . . good to be back amongst the geeks and nerds
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote